Author Topic: Recommend an Andouille Recipe  (Read 563 times)

Offline scott123

Recommend an Andouille Recipe
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
I'll probably be doing this again, but, within a half hour, I'm making Andouille.

It's going to be a fake andouille with liquid smoke (the horror!).  I just need a good recipe for the ratio of ingredients. Today, I'm making the andouille, and, tomorrow, I'm using it for gumbo.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Recommend an Andouille Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »

It's going to be a fake andouille with liquid smoke (the horror!). 

jeez.... that's like making a NY pie with diced cheese   >:D

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
jeez.... that's like making a NY pie with diced cheese   >:D

Well, when good $5.99/lb Andouille is about an hour drive and questionable $10+/lb is five minutes away, fake Andouille (made with $1.59/lb fatty ground Asian grocer pork) gets a lot more tempting.  Besides, I love plain old supermarket bacon, and that's been liquid smoke jaccardized for years. If liquid smoke can make something as wonderful as supermarket bacon, then it should be able to produce an edible andouille.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
I have never had any worth a crap that wasn't made in S. Louisiana, so no help here.

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
I've made a few of this fellow's recipes...Pretty good.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »
I've made a few of this fellow's recipes...Pretty good.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/

Thanks. While I don't recall exactly what's in the hour drive 'good' andouille, I'm pretty sure there was no jalapeno pepper.  Still, though, the brown sugar inclusion got me thinking about some form of sweetener, so I'm glad I saw that recipe.

For anyone interested, I went with a slightly modified version of this:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

I basically felt that the garlic and black pepper were overkill, so I dialed them back.  I chose this recipe because the simplicity appealed to me.  Ruhlman is everything but the kitchen sink. I scaled everything back for 2# of meat and added 1 t. of liquid smoke.

I just took a taste of it this morning when I got up, and, I have to say, it's pretty good.  Definitely better than the $10+/lb whole paycheck stuff. It yielded 1.5# from 2# of meat. Final price/lb = $2.12.  Considering that whole paycheck could easily be $12/lb, I'm very happy with that.

I was incredibly conservative with the liquid smoke (some recipes add triple this for sausage that's still going to be smoked), so I might add more next time.  I only eat andouille in gumbo, so the true test will be how it tastes in the finished product.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:23:56 AM by scott123 »