Author Topic: How cheap can outdoor wood fired be?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline grathan

How cheap can outdoor wood fired be?
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
I'd like to try cooking at 800 degrees, but It might only be a one time experiment. Could a wood fired oven be made for only a couple hundred (including a stone) ?

scott123

Re: How cheap can outdoor wood fired be?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »
Do a forum search for 'mortarless.' I think one of them was in that price realm.

Be aware, though, that wood fired ovens are a lot more than just baking at 800 degrees.  Yes, it's an 800-850 degree hearth, but it's also a 1000+ degree ceiling that's low enough/close enough to the pizza to produce very fast charring. It also involves a roaring fire and an environment that's conducive to good combustion as well as some form of insulation to keep the heat in. A proper WFO- a WFO that can truly show you what WFOs are capable of, may not be feasible for $200.

This oven here is about the least you can spend, but still have all the necessary specifications:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18944.0.html

I'm not exactly sure what his entirely outlay has been to date, but I believe this member is in the $600 realm.

Offline grathan

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
Thanks, I think I've seen all the posts with the word 'mortar' in them. The crust in the one picture is awesome. These ovens are unsightly, the wife would never allow it. I don't think I would wanna throw a pie in on top of ashes next to logs either.

What about gas grills... Do they make any that hold heat well?

I'm picturing a ceramic type shelf a couple inches over the grating with infrared below. Probably like 700 degrees?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:56:52 AM by grathan »

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
It also depends on how nice of an oven you want, and where you live.

The oven in my avatar is called a Cob oven. It cost me $10 to build. Do a google search to get more info if looks aren't a requirement. If you're artistic, you can certainly build a much nicer looking oven than I did.
Josh

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
No offense, but a little reading would go a long way to answer your current questions.  After you have a handle on some of the basics, then it's a good time to start asking for expert help with the more intricate or complex topics.

To begin with, I suggest you go to the "Ovens" section, and read about different types of ovens, and what they are capable of.  You may find that your preference in pizza style will steer you away from a WFO anyway.

Good luck!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline grathan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
The mud ovens look neat, and cheap too! I think I am gonna try the grill routine first (time being the biggest factor). Build like a little hovel out of bricks and pizza stones over the infrared burner.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.  This has been done many times.  If you are going to use a grill with an IR burner I would advice you to look into the setup Craig(TXCraig1) used prior to his Acunto.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.  This has been done many times.  If you are going to use a grill with an IR burner I would advice you to look into the setup Craig(TXCraig1) used prior to his Acunto.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

If you go this route, be very careful. Grills were not designed for this.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline grathan

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
Wow, you guys are pizza freaks.  :)

that is pretty cool. The wife already set the grill on fire the first week I had it cooking chicken thighs, melted the lighting fixtures inside. It has infrared rotisserie burner  and infrared under the grill as well. You like that stone in your thread? I am thinking of trying cast iron pan (lodge 17" with side handles) which should spin freely, with a stone for a lid. I imagine the airflow would not be ideal though? Gonna try it as long as I can get above 600 degrees, and then make adjustments.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »

The wife already set the grill on fire the first week I had it cooking chicken thighs, melted the lighting fixtures inside.

You let your wife use your grill?  What state do you live in?  Just kidding.  Get some pictures up of the lodge pizza, should be pretty good.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
You let your wife use your grill?  What state do you live in?  Just kidding.  Get some pictures up of the lodge pizza, should be pretty good.

+1 : all the above.  Not sure I'd let even my best friend mess with my grill.

I'd like to see pics of your current setup and hear more about your proposed changes. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

that is pretty cool. The wife already set the grill on fire the first week I had it cooking chicken thighs, melted the lighting fixtures inside. It has infrared rotisserie burner  and infrared under the grill as well. You like that stone in your thread? I am thinking of trying cast iron pan (lodge 17" with side handles) which should spin freely, with a stone for a lid. I imagine the airflow would not be ideal though? Gonna try it as long as I can get above 600 degrees, and then make adjustments.

You won't be able to run a burner directly under a lodge pan (or any sort of metal baking surface). It's way too conductive. The heat will shoot straight through and burn the bottom of your pie.

The Fibrament stone worked well in the grill. I've used cordelite on that grill also (with the MPO - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20334.0.html), and it worked well.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan