Author Topic: Bakerstone Box Quick Review  (Read 7610 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Bakerstone Box Quick Review
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »
Wonder how this would work with a charcoal BBQ?  Would be great for camping trips.

Bakerstone would of mentioned if it works with charcoal.
Bert,

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Test #3. 

Neapolitan style dough with Ischia starter, 48 hrs.  First time working with the Ischia starter.  I bought it from Cultures for Health, $12.  Startered per their instructions 6 days prior, fully active when used as 2% of dough.  Awesome honey and floral aroma with a back of acid.

Weather: 60 degrees and windy.

Baked first pie on bakerstone with lid closed.  Floor was 942, top was 750. Cooked in 120 seconds, bottom was too black and bitter in some areas.

Second pie: Turned down burners, floor 800 degrees, ceiling 730. Cooked for about 150 seconds.  Better bottom crust, sill a bit over charred.

Notes:
With the lid closed the floor can get very hot but with a wide degree of difference between floor and ceiling. Next time I will try heating with lid closed until top hits 750, then turn off or down the burners directly under the floor.  The goal will be to allow the floor to cool to 800 while keeping the ceiling above 700.  I think with some more practice and experimenting this oven will get me to the point Im happy with both NY style and Neapolitan inspired pizzas.

Photo 1 is temp of floor.
photo 2 is a Margherita.
photo 3 the burnt crust of the Margherita
Photo 4 is The Wharf with Tillamook Cheddar and Dungeness crab
Photo 5 is the crust of The Wharf

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:48:48 PM by nick79brew »

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
Nick, a balanced Neapolitan bake is never going to happen in this oven- at least, not without modifications, and, even then, I think it's a bit of a long shot, depending on how many BTUs you're working with.

Do you see the floor and dome temps you're currently seeing? Those basically have to be reversed.  The only way this can happen is if you have a boatload of BTUs and some form of deflection- some method for bypassing the bottom stone and carrying the heat to the top. Based upon the temps you're hitting, the deflector can't be aluminum either.  You'll need either steel or ceramic under the bottom stone, with an air gap. It'll need to be either the same size as the bottom stone or larger, but can't be so large that it blocks the gap in the back.

You're talking about a lot of tweaking/messing around here, with, imo, a very low chance for success. I would stick to NY.

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
Do you see the floor and dome temps you're currently seeing? Those basically have to be reversed. 

Ahh ha! 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »
Nick, a balanced Neapolitan bake is never going to happen in this oven- at least, not without modifications, and, even then, I think it's a bit of a long shot, depending on how many BTUs you're working with.

Do you see the floor and dome temps you're currently seeing? Those basically have to be reversed.  The only way this can happen is if you have a boatload of BTUs and some form of deflection- some method for bypassing the bottom stone and carrying the heat to the top. Based upon the temps you're hitting, the deflector can't be aluminum either.  You'll need either steel or ceramic under the bottom stone, with an air gap. It'll need to be either the same size as the bottom stone or larger, but can't be so large that it blocks the gap in the back.

You're talking about a lot of tweaking/messing around here, with, imo, a very low chance for success. I would stick to NY.
A bit of tough love, but I'm +1 on what Scott wrote.  The alternative is to do what I did, make a career out of herding Cats heat with all kinds of 'flectors (ChauFlectors, MmmphFlectors, MyOwnFlectors).  See if you can guess how that career is going. :-D  Maybe there is a little hope in that back in the early days with the Rotisserie Pizza Grill, I did have some success in deflecting the front half of the flame and directing it to the back of the oven, but I rotated the baking stone to ensure even heat.  IMO, you can search rotisserie pizza grill, or go with Scott's advice, or maybe invent something new. 
Dave

Offline caymus

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »
Test #3. 

Baked first pie on bakerstone with lid closed

Nick,  how did the coating hold up? Any flaking?  I will try mine (and my Blackstone) after my winter hibernation ends.

Thanks

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
I have the solution….. I will bake the pie upside down!! ;D

Caymus,

I have had no issues with flaking.

Offline wyldberi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 06:25:26 AM »
I appreciate the information given above.

I saw one of the Bakerstone ovens on display in Bed, Bath & Beyond a couple of days ago. That was three days after I purchased and assembled a new 2-burner grill for my small back porch. There's no way to use the Bakerstone with that grill; but the design and price seemed too good to pass up. So I bought the oven.

I've spent some time going over various possibilities. I have a 50,000 BTU propane burner that I use with a Chinese wok from time to time. I came across an old grungy Weber grill today that's the right size to hold the oven. After I get the firebox cleaned up, I'll figure out how to mount the burner in the grill.

I know where I can pick up a piece of steel to use as a heat diffuser at a modest price. Any ideas on what an efficient diffusing distance above the burner, and below the bottom stone of the oven would be? I haven't yet figured out how I'll mount the diffuser plate. One thing at a time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:36:08 AM by wyldberi »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »
wyldberi, What is the make and model of your  new 2-burner grill?

Weber grill - is it charcoal or gas?
Bert,

Offline wyldberi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
wyldberi, What is the make and model of your  new 2-burner grill?

Weber grill - is it charcoal or gas?

The new grill is a Char Broil propane from Home Depot. The box reads "Gourmet" and TRU Infrared. For model # it says 764-532. This is the version of the T-22D Char Broil makes for Home Depot, as opposed to the T-22D version they make for Lowe's under the "Commercial" line, so each retailer can claim "exclusivity" rights. I got this one because I like the design of the scooped emitters for some reason; don't really know if it works better or not, the design just seems cleaner to me.

It took me over 4 hours to get the thing assembled once I got it home. I still have one stupidly difficult screw sitting on the window sill in the kitchen that I wasn't able to get started in the pre-tapped hole -- yet. Except for the snafu of mounting the sides of the pedestal backwards, which prevented me from mounting the door after everything else was in place, which required me to remove 6 bolts from the base and rotate everything including the firebox to the correct orientation, I had all the parts and got them stuck together in the correct fashion.

I did a pork loin several days ago that turned out well. My chicken thigh test was surprisingly good, even after I misjudged the timing once and charred the skin. It's a grill; nice and compact for my small space.

I like the igniter they're using now.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
Bakerstone oven didn't work on your grill due to its size or two burners didn't offer enough heat?
Bert,

Offline wyldberi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Bakerstone oven didn't work on your grill due to its size or two burners didn't offer enough heat?

The Bakerstone is a little over 20-inches wide; too large in that dimension to fit in either orientation on the Char Broil's grate surface.

At 24,000 BTU's, I don't know if the grill has enough oomph to get the Bakerstone warm enough to do a good job. At 50,000 BTU's, I suspect my converted unit will.

Offline ridr44

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
I have been using my Bakerstone with the top of the bbq closed, I think that's the only way to get the temp up.  With it closed as has been said, it really gets hot.  What I do to prevent over charing the bottom is if it seems to be happening, then I place an aluminum pizza screen under the pie.  Seems to work just fine...d
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:43:10 AM by ridr44 »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »
DO you cover un-used part of your grill with aluminum foil? how many burners do you? What is your burners BTU?

I am not sure how hot the oven ceiling get, but you can dome your pizza with a metal peel once the bottom is done enough to your liking,
Bert,

Offline cdnnewbie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
just wanted to get the word out that I saw the Bakerstone oven has been re-priced at Bed, Bath and Beyond now at Cdn$75
sorry if this was redundant
J