Author Topic: Review Roundboy WFO after 9 months  (Read 697 times)

Offline snather

Review Roundboy WFO after 9 months
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
So I have had my roundboy oven now for about nine months. I will start off by saying that this is my first WFO so I really have no baseline for comparsion with other WFO's. This is one of the reasons I have waited this long to do a review so I could learn by hook or crook the In's and outs of this oven.

Let's start out with the order process. I had a bit of a hiccup when I tired to place my order on line, however a quick call and one of the owners Karl picked up and helped me out. I had been lurking around all the forums for some time but I still had lots of questions. He was very patient with me. I also wanted the stand on a set of heavy casters and he was willing to do this for me. He was quick to point out that it was not going to roll around like a BBQ and at 1700 LBS I kind of figured that.

Then the oven shipped in under a week and I received my tracking info. When the oven arrived it was packed very well. It looks like they have the packing down to a science.

Putting the oven together was very straight forward, my son and I were able to do it in about two hours. I won't spend too much time on this as there are a few videos out on youtube that do a better job then I can.

Over all I really like this oven and am glad that I have it. I cook pizza's at least once a week and have branched out to other things like grilling steak and chicken. As well as baking bread. The fit and finish is very good and I love the way it looks. To me it looks even better now that I have burned the new off and added a little soot to the opening. Size wise it is just about right for me. So far it has held up very well.

Now for cooking in it. When I first got this oven I was under firing it. I would get my wood going and after the dome went white I would move the wood over, clean the floor and cook my pies. The issue I had was the floor would cool down very quickly and by the third pie it would be under 600. I have since learned that with this oven at least you need about  2.5 to 3 hours to get it up and balanced. (I think part of this is that when you get the oven with a stand it sits on a concrete slab and there is not any insulation between the oven floor and the slab so a lot of heat is drawn away from floor, until the slab comes up to temp. It would be nice if there was some thermal barrier there but I am not sure how to do that yet. ) That being said after you get it up and balanced it turns out some very nice pies. I have done the 90 second pies but prefer a little longer bake time to crisp up the crust. I make high hydration dough with a mix of Caputo 00, bread flour and some local WW flour. I use my yogurt whey in place of water.

So to sum this up would I recommend this oven I would. Is it perfect no but is anything? For me the positive things out weigh  the negative and I a have a smile on my face each time I building a fire in it. ( BTW the green dragon is the best fire starter in the world) It helps me turn out great pies as well as other food.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and if I can I will answer.

Cheers Brad

Offline THEBBQMAN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Review Roundboy WFO after 9 months
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »
Thanks for the review, Brad.  I am considering one of these ovens vs building one from scratch. I will probably add mass or insulation or both under the oven if I go with the RB.

pizzapan