Author Topic: New plate  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Seven

New plate
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
My new aluminum plate is completed, fresh from the water jet company. I won't be able to pick it up until the weekend but it's 18.625x18.625x0.5, which should pretty much fill the oven from front to back with maybe 1/8" gap, depending on which shelf I place it on. From the plate markings, this appears to be 6061 aluminum. I need to pick up an IR gun and I also need to alter my standard dough recipe to reduce the sugar...I'm targeting 2/4 for the initial bake! Woohoo!  :pizza:

scott123

Re: New plate
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
I don't know what that ink is made of, but if soap and water doesn't take it off, I'd find some extremely fine grit sandpaper or maybe some very fine steel wool.

As far as a recipe goes, I think you could do a lot worse than following in the footsteps of your fellow aluminaut (aluminauti? :) ) and utilize his recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21951.msg233048.html#msg233048

The only change I'd make is, if you're using All Trumps, you'll need to increase the water. I think 63% should be comparable.

Offline Seven

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
Thanks, Scott! I'm not sure what the lettering is made from but my brother in law offered to clean it up for me at his shop. Since he uses this material often, he's better equipped than I am...I will confirm what he used this weekend to make sure it's nothing toxic.

I will use All Trumps for the dough but am not opposed to trying something else in the future once my supply runs out. My oven is electric and is capable of 550 with convection. Broiler is in the main compartment but I may go broiler-less initially unless you recommend otherwise. What should be my target temp? Based on the topic you linked, should I aim for 525? I typically make 2 pizzas at a time.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
John, as long as he cleans off the ink, I wouldn't worry about what he uses.  Just use soap and water to clean it and it will be ready to go.

The one prep caveat I'd add is that if he gives it to you with anything close to a mirror finish, I might rough it up a tiny bit.  If it's too smooth, the pizza won't grab during the launch and the seasoning won't have any nooks to grab on to.

It really depends on how hot your oven runs, but I might play it safe and start with 500 first.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
7,  welcome to the 6061 club.  I think you will be quite pleased.  Scott is totally right about the smoothness.  I have never seen a skin slide like it did on my perfectly smooth plate.  Since, it has seasoned up pretty well and does not slide much at all.  Please report your results here.  Also,  how much did that cost you?  Thanks -Marc

Offline Seven

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
The plate was actually free...my brother in laws company gives a lot of business to the water jet people so they didn't charge. I've asked him to get a quote, however, in case there is more interest.

Thank you and Scott for the help. I'm going to run out to harbor freight soon to get an IR gun. I'll also need to get a bigger peel since I'll be ditching the screens.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »
One wood peel and one metal is standard operating procedure.  Wood to launch, metal for everything else.

Looking forward to your results - what flour and recipe are you going with for the first trial?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Seven

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
Per Scott's advice, I'll go with about a 63% hydration with All Trumps bromated, 1% sugar, 3% oil and maybe 2% salt(?). The recipe I've been using (and enjoying!) for the past year is too high in sugar and would likely burn on the plate...I've been using a screen, no stone, convection bake.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
Sounds good.  One thing you will really want to look out for is stickiness in the dough.  If the dough is hard to work with due to enzyme action, you might wind up overflouring your launch peel.  On a highly conductive surface, loose flour is going to burn and stink immediately. Commonly accepted way to prevent it is to use a combination of short (24hr tops) fermentation and lower hydration.  I've had some luck using higher oil % and minimal mixing, but you are already in uncharted territory with your plate- best to control your variables at this point.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Seven

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
Thanks pizzaneer. Picked up the plate on Sunday and will give it a scrubbing this weekend, possibly with a Scotch bright pad. Also grabbed an IR gun today to check temps. Scott, how does the following look?

All trumps 100%
Water 62%
Salt 2%
Sugar 1%
Oil (I usually use olive since there is no shortage in my house) 3%
IDY 0.5%

I'll target 500 on the plate. My dough balls are usually 20 ounces but I may scale them back a bit. Monday can't get here soon enough...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »
Also grabbed an IR gun today to check temps.

If you can, get an IR thermometer that has an adjustable emissivity setting, otherwise you you might not be able to get anything approaching an accurate reading off of aluminium. Many IR thermometers are pre-set and fixed at e=0.95. With such a tool, anything below 0.2 is likely going to be a problem. Unless your Al plate is heavily oxidized, it's probably going to be 0.2. If it has any shine at all, it's probably close to 0.05 or less. That 6061 you have is one of the least emissive Al alloys (though all are very low).
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
This goes against my normal advice not to season steel, but, since Marc has been successful getting some color on his plate, and since the baking temperatures for AL are going to be a bit lower than steel, and thus less likely to bake the coating off, I would suggest seasoning the plate with a very light coating of oil. Keep in mind that the goal isn't a non stick surface or corrosion protection like normal seasoning, but, rather, a little bit of color so that the IR thermometer can take readings.

A scotch bright pad probably won't scuff it up too much. I would probably go with 220 grit sandpaper then season it.

20 oz. for an 18" pie comes out to an .078 thickness factor.  That's not bad- if you're stretching it to 18".  An 18" stretch is very ambitious.  You might want to start with a 16 oz. dough ball and stretch it to 16"- that would be .078 as well, but an easier stretch.

Other than that, the formula looks good.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »
This goes against my normal advice not to season steel, but, since Marc has been successful getting some color on his plate, and since the baking temperatures for AL are going to be a bit lower than steel, and thus less likely to bake the coating off, I would suggest seasoning the plate with a very light coating of oil. Keep in mind that the goal isn't a non stick surface or corrosion protection like normal seasoning, but, rather, a little bit of color so that the IR thermometer can take readings.

What would be the possible problems with seasoning the plate, and if you are going to season a little, why not go all the way and get it black?

These are both the same aluminium pan. I use the one on the right for pizza al taglio.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:42:21 PM »
What would be the possible problems with seasoning the plate, and if you are going to season a little, why not go all the way and get it black?

Because any dough that has enough dusting to launch, when baked, will never stick. If you don't need it, that extra seasoning, if I'm wrong about the smoke/flash point potential, will smoke up the house a lot more than a very thin layer.

All we're looking for is the tiniest bit of color so the IR doesn't bounce. Any more is unnecessary. It would be like seasoning firebrick.

Offline Seven

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
Thanks, Craig & Scott. Craig, the IR gun is from Harbor Freight so nothing fancy...I'd actually be surprised if it works for more than a month ;)

Scott, do you recommend a particular oil for seasoning? Olive oil has a lower smoking point than vegetable oil so maybe the later makes more sense. I seasoned my pizza screens with some cooking spray and that seemed to work OK, although they didn't darken very much. Regarding dough ball size, I think I'll compromise and go with 18 ounces for a 17 inch skin...not sure what TF that works out to (can't access the dough tools at work) but it should be within the NY "guidelines".

scott123

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
John, any filtered vegetable derived oil (no evoo) or any hard animal fat (tallow, lard, bacon grease) would probably be just fine. I don't think you need to go out and buy an oil, but if you have any of these hanging around, it would be nice:

Soybean oil   495F smoke point
Safflower oil   510F
Avocado oil   520F

Offline Seven

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »
Quick update...put a couple coats of seasoning on the plate, the first was shortening heated and kept at 300 for about 1.5 hours and the second was vegetable oil heated to 500. The plate has taken on a nice golden brown patina, not at all sticky. The plate registered around 520 on the bottom and 515 on top. Dough is made and in the fridge until Monday.

Offline Seven

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »
Baked a couple pies on the aluminum plate on Monday. The oven was preheated to 500 degrees on convection, shelf situated just below the convection fan. I pulled the 1st pizza at 4:30...I have pictures but they are too large to post. Unfortunately, and I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I still haven't tasted the pizza...just finished breakfast when I made them and still have a ton of leftovers from Sunday to eat.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Seven,  this is the easiest way to resize pictures that i have found,  right click set to medium and done.

http://microsoft-powertoys-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/

-Marc

Offline Seven

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
Thanks!

Attached are pictures of the seasoned plate, the inaugural pizza and the upskirt shot. Looks like the cheese needed some additional time but I'm not sure the crust would have been happy with 30 more seconds.