Author Topic: Shakey's- Auburn, Ga 2013  (Read 590 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Shakey's- Auburn, Ga 2013
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
I timed a recent trip to Atlanta to include the lunch buffet at Shakey's.  I sat directly in front of the window where this guy was sheeting dough.  As I walked in, and looked, he had the dough about 8' long and maybe 16" wide.  He folded the doug in half, length-wise, so now he is at 8' long and 8" wide and about 3" thick.  He heavily dusted the top of this long, fat ribbon and gathered it.  He sat it on top of the large shelf at rear of the sheeter and began feeding into the machine, while heavily dusting it as the rollers smashed it.  The dough fell at the base of the sheeter in kind of a fat ribbon shaped form.  He picked up the fat ribbon, set it on the same place at the top of the sheeter, adjusted the thickness and did it again.  This was repeated 2 more times.

So sheeter boy grabs the top end of the sheet and unfolds the ribbon (probably 24" - 30" wide) and drags it down the length of the 20' table.  He grabs the ring thing and starts cutting skins down the length of the sheeted dough.  Each skin is placed on a round pan, then a sheet of wax paper, then another skin, repeat.  Maybe 10-12 skins total on a round sheet.  It was wrapped in plastic wrap, marked with the time and then taken away... To the refer?  To room temp. ferment?

He does this until the long ribbon is gone.  Did I mention that he cut the scraps of the remaining sheeted dough (with holes in it) and threw them into a tub under the counter? If not, he cut the scraps of the remaining sheeted dough (with holes in it) and threw them into a tub under the counter.  I asked him the amount of scraps that were to be added to the next batch. (next)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Shakey's- Auburn, Ga 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
His answer was that the weight of the tub of dough was 11 some pounds, and that 2 some pounds of scraps were added to the next new batch.  So roughly 1/5+ of the new dough is scraps.

My only "problem" with this pizza (as if it is ok to have a problem with pizza) is the sauce.  Straight paste probably has more flavor than their sauce.

Your mileage may very, mine does not.  Just my $.02

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Shakey's- Auburn, Ga 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:17:16 PM by Jet_deck »