Author Topic: Latest attempt at NY Style (one of my best)  (Read 709 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Latest attempt at NY Style (one of my best)
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
My last bake was 4 minutes with the stone on the bottom rack with a false ceiling of foil and quarry tiles roughly 3.5 to 4 inches above and baked at 550F.  For this bake I moved the stone to the 2nd rack to experiment further.  Wow!  In my opinion this bake was far better than my previous 4 minute bake....in fact I'd put it in my top 2 pies out of the 500 or so that I've made.  

What's strange is this one cooked for 4:45 (so is faster not always better?)  This one was cold fermented for 55hrs w/ a 17hr room temp poolish before I popped it into the fridge.  The 4 minute one was out of the same poolish batch in case you were wondering.

Nate

P.S.  And yes....the toppings are supposed to look like that.  We have some picky eaters over here.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:31:08 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline scott123

Re: Latest attempt at NY Style (one of my best)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
Nate, I talk a lot about 4 minute bakes as a way of motivating people towards the fastest NY style bakes possible. In an ideal world where everyone had oven setups that could do 4 minute bakes, I would talk quite a bit more about 5 minute bakes.  4 and 5 are solid NY bake times, and for those looking for a tiny bit of crispiness, 5's a bit better.

While I'm pleased that you were able to produce one of your best pies to date, you're hitting the 'magic' bake times, and the top/bottom balance is improving, it's still too bottom heavy, imo, and, unfortunately, I don't see much you can do about it. Technically you're at 4 minutes, but 4 minutes without enough top heat isn't really 4 minutes.

As discussed previously, a thinner thickness factor might help- the less dough, the faster the cheese will melt and brown a bit.  You could also extend the pre-heat, drive the heat up a bit further and toss the pie on a screen after a minute or two, or possibly lifting/doming the pie with a metal peel. Doming is more of a Neapolitan thing, but there are no rules against using it for NY as well.

It's so close, but it's not quite a cigar.  If you're happy, and with pies like these you like these, you should be, then that may be all that matters, but, if you striving for something a faster, a bit more balanced, I think you're getting the most you can possible get from this setup and have to look elsewhere (to something like steel).  Before you do that, though, I'd like to see how your current setup does without the false ceiling.  45 minute 550 convection pre-heat, stone 5-7" from the broiler, broiler on for 2-3 minutes of the bake. It'll probably be a 7 minute bake, at least, but, I just wanted to see what you can get without the ceiling.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
Scott,

What do you mean by bottom heavy?  Thickness or end crust size?  I believe you are referring  to TF and I think my TF problem will be resolved by over stretching it bigger than the peel.  I can see right through this dough when I stretch it so I think I've got that part down.   I over cheesed this one by about 1.5oz by the way.  I had a cheese blend I was trying out and it was already pre calculated.   I typically get great bubbling and browning.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
Nate, 'bottom heavy'  refers to the top bottom heat ratio, ie, the bottom still appears to be getting a little too much heat in relation to the top.

The cheese is definitely part of this assessment, though.  I'm a bit of a partially melted cheese phobe :) so disregard my last comment.

Stretch it further, dial back the cheese and let's see how it works out. 

pizzapan