Author Topic: Gluten but no Bubbles  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Doughboy20

Gluten but no Bubbles
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »
Nube question, over my head.  I made pizza dough last night with a high hydration.  Its really strong and stretchy but really slack.  No bubbles at all after 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Method:
I mixed the water, yeast, sugar, and 3/4 of the flour and rested for 1 hour.  Added salt, the rest of the flour and kneaded with a dough hook on low with my kitchenaid sand mixer for 20 minutes.  I rested for another 20 minutes covered then did a window pain test.  Everything looked good, but it has not risen after 24 hours in the fridge. (now 3 days).  Will this be a door stop  if I try to cook it?  It's very stretchy, but no air bubbles, any idea what I did wrong?

425g        bread flour (about 3 cups)
1            packet instant yeast ( 2 tsp)
1 cups  Mountain Spring Water
2  tsp.     kosher salt
2 Tbsp.    sugar
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:28:07 AM by Doughboy20 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Gluten but no Bubbles
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
Doughboy20,

I think it might help Tom (or others) if you show the dough recipe you used and the steps you took to prepare and manage the dough. It might also help if you define the term "autolyse" as you used it.

Peter

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:46 AM »
Also, at the same time, I made a No Knead version, exactly the same recipe only I did not us a mixer, it sat overnight in a cold oven.  This one is actually over risen. But same exact amount of flour, water, yeast.

So, the first batch has really well developed gluten, very very stretchy, but no air bubbles.  The second one has a lot of bubbles, but not nearly as stretchy.  So fail on both methods I think.  Any insight to the first one would be helpful.

Offline kneader65

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
20 minutes of kneading seems too long.About 10 minutes seems about right.Did you end up with a very warm dough (that could have possibly killed the yeast)?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
Anomalous stuff happens. Throw it away and try it again.

Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
Doughboy, I'm not sure how comfortable you are working with dough, but, according to my calculations, you're at 80% hydration.  That kind of hydration is, imo, pretty advanced pizza making.  If you're just starting out, I would try something a little more well traveled, like 62%.  Low hydration doughs can be used in a no knead context.  Time will develop gluten in a 62% hydration dough just as well as an 80% one. And you won't end up with goo.

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I have gotten into bread baking in the past year so I know a little but have a long way to go.  The high hydration doughs are a lot harder to work with but I have done it for bread.  This is almost a Chibatta dough recipe that comes out great.  But that was not my intent here.  Didnt realize it was 80%!.  But odd part is, same hydration on the second batch which did a great rise and should be easy to work with for pies.  Doing that tonight, if its not a total fail, will post some pics.

Maybe I will try one not intended for human consumption.

If all else fails, I have one trick up my sleeve.  Roll it really flat, dock with a fork, sprinkle with slat, seeds and bake.  CRACKERS!

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
OK I chickened out and used the second batch with the high rise.  This is how it turned out.  Like the bubbles on the crown, but no char on the bottom even after having the stone under the broiler for 20 minutes after being in oven heated for 1 hour.  Had to pull it before the toppings burned.

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
And the crumb shot:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:22:44 PM by Doughboy20 »

pizzapan