Author Topic: What the heck is in this sauce?  (Read 383 times)

Offline EndUser

What the heck is in this sauce?
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
I recently went to San Diego's Basic Pizza Bar (http://www.barbasic.com/) and thought the tomato sauce was the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. Now I am making my own pizza and feel disappointed in comparison, and I must find out how their secret sauce is made.  It is so tasty, I just wanted to eat the sauce itself.  Please help, I need to make this!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:26:17 PM by EndUser »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: What the heck is in this sauce?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »
Hello EndUser,

If possible, try to peek into the kitchen and look for sauce cans. Most often, Pizzerias are using a base for their sauce. Examples: Stanislaus Foods, who makes Full Red, 711, Pizzaiolo, etc... and other brands like Escalon, who also makes many pizza sauces, as well. Then you have the many distributors that makes sauce, such as FSA (Food Services of America),  SYSCO,  US FOODS (now owned by SYSCO) and many other smaller distributors. You might want to look over Stanislaus and Escalon's websites to familiarize yourself with their products and labels.

Also, talk with some of the workers during slow hours of the business. Most often, people will share info with you as you develop relationship with them, including being a good tipper. If all else fails, ask if you could buy some sauce from them.

Final thoughts: I would also find out the brand of cheese that they use. You can duplicate the sauce and still not have the same taste. The cheese really does make a big difference. Hope this helps. I am sure others on the forum have ideas too.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Their website is nice!  Great looking pies!  I look forward as well to the replies from forum members responses who are in the know~
Looks like a cool place to hang out too.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Enduser,

There are also many ideas and recipes for sauce in the thread "If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?"

TomN

Offline EndUser

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
We need some San Diego folks to go spy on this place. I dont live in CA, so I can't snoop it out. I asked the staff when I was there and they said it was a "secret," they wouldn't talk!

Offline EndUser

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
Their website is nice!  Great looking pies!  I look forward as well to the replies from forum members responses who are in the know~
Looks like a cool place to hang out too.

And I am comparing them to Apizza Scholles, so when I say good sauce, I think I know what I am talkin' abiout.... ;)