Author Topic: "American San Marzanos"  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
"American San Marzanos"
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
Could not find any posts about this brand of tomatoes. These are supposedly grown with "San Marzano tomato seeds" in the USA. I personally like the brand quite a lot in terms of taste, can-to-can consistency, and cost. (I can usually find the 28 oz. cans on sale for $2.50)

Only wish I could find a way to buy them in bulk but the labelling (and internet search) yields very little in the way of contact info.

John

Offline scott123

Re: "American San Marzanos"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
John, any chance you can post of photo of the tomato itself?  I won't buy whole tomatoes because they yield too little sauce, but it the crushed tomatoes are pretty thick, I might splurge on these.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
The parent company is called Simpson Imports, these tomatoes are neither real San Marzano's nor imported.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
Thanks, Dave.  I'm aware that these are American (Californian?) and using the SM name is a little cheesy, but, after being highly disappointed in both the yield and the taste of about 8 different brands of authentic SMs, I'm ready to try the knockoffs.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
The parent company is called Simpson Imports, these tomatoes are neither real San Marzano's nor imported.

Not "real" as in not DOP or not San Marzano variety?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
The difference between these and say Cento Certified San Marzano's  or Nina San Marzano's is night and day.    

I find the fake "San Marzano brand" to be watery and bland.   Get a can of each and compare side-by-side and you'll never go back.

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
 I no longer partake in discussions regarding sourdough cultures or 'San Marzano" tomatoes!  :-X

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
I no longer partake in discussions regarding sourdough cultures or 'San Marzano" tomatoes!  :-X

Somebody hijacked your account in reply 2?  ;)
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
Scott - Rienzi whole peeled or Cento Italian whole peeled are really good cans of tomatoes, and crush/dissolve very easily for the maximum amount of sauce.

In my old age I now look for plum tomatoes canned in Italy, and they usually are very good. And they are usually very well priced. The reason I look for the ones from Italy instead of California is due to tenderness.

If I do buy SM, I am actually forgoing the DOP route and using the Cento certified because it costs $3.69. But more and more I am finding they are just not worth it.

John

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

I've said the same thing about bromate before, but when the topic comes up, I just can't resist  >:D

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
Scott - Rienzi whole peeled or Cento Italian whole peeled are really good cans of tomatoes, and crush/dissolve very easily for the maximum amount of sauce.

John, tomatoes would normally be an area where I'd defer to your judgement, but, I've tried the Rienzi's and was sorely disappointed by the yield.  I can buy Sclafani's  crushed (Jersey Tomato), add 2 oz. of water to a 28 oz. can, and end up with a sauce that's a little on the thick side for NY. With the Rienzi's I had to pour off a great deal of the puree to get the consistency I was looking for.

I will give the Centos a shot, though.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
John, tomatoes would normally be an area where I'd defer to your judgement, but, I've tried the Rienzi's and was sorely disappointed by the yield.  I can buy Sclafani's  crushed (Jersey Tomato), add 2 oz. of water to a 28 oz. can, and end up with a sauce that's a little on the thick side for NY. With the Rienzi's I had to pour off a great deal of the puree to get the consistency I was looking for.

I will give the Centos a shot, though.

I really like those Sclafani's as well.

I would not bother with the Centos if the Rienzi yield was not what you were looking for.

John

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
I would not bother with the Centos if the Rienzi yield was not what you were looking for.

Thanks, John.  I just can't seem to ever get 28 oz. of sauce out of a 28 oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes. Sure, I could buy two cans, but that would go against my cheap bastard ethic  ;D

Offline gfgman

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
Opinions are wide and diverse on tomatoes, are they not?  I tried some rienzi's once and thought they were awful.  Maybe I just didn't know what to do with them.  I use the fake SMs pictured above and love the taste, although I have gotten some cans that were off on the taste.  I'd love to get them for $2.50 a can.  Best price I've seen is $2.99.  I'm currently paying $3.19 on sale.  I'd be willing to try real SMs, but I don't think I'm seeing anything in the stores in central PA that is real and is close on price.  I've mostly seen organic ones, and I believe they were something like $7.99 a can.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I bought Rienzi's once, they tasted like mud, worst can of tomatoes I've ever had, never again!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
The difference between these and say Cento Certified San Marzano's  or Nina San Marzano's is night and day.    

I find the fake "San Marzano brand" to be watery and bland.   Get a can of each and compare side-by-side and you'll never go back.

The diced and pureed versions of the ASMs are horrible. I agree. Tried Cento DOPs. Not impressed. Will try Ninas

John, any chance you can post of photo of the tomato itself?  I won't buy whole tomatoes because they yield too little sauce, but it the crushed tomatoes are pretty thick, I might splurge on these.

The ASMs (American San Marzanos) in can, on a spoon, and at 45-60 sec on a plate.

Notice the subversive Trademark on the ASMs --- "FEDUP". I like it....

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
I bought Rienzi's once, they tasted like mud, worst can of tomatoes I've ever had, never again!

Funny, I find them to be great. I must have "mud" on my palate.

John

Offline scott123

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
Not impressed. Will try Ninas

John, thanks for the photos. It's not as thick as my Sclafanis, so I wouldn't add water, but... I think I could work with those as is, which might give me 28 oz. of sauce. 

Regarding the myriad number of tomato opinions, the Sclafanis helped me pinpoint my exact issue with the cento puree I was using. It was from tasting the Sclafanis that I was able to detect the chlorophyll-y starch-y note in the cento puree- most likely from under ripe green tomatoes. I'm beginning to detect that starch-y note elsewhere now- such as in the cento crushed that I tried.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
I didn't like the Rienzis either, although I don't know about mud.  Cento are good as are the local supermarket's brand.  I tried the ones i the OP and did not think them bad, but not worth the premium either.