Author Topic: Looking for Better Pizza Dough Recipe  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Soup

Looking for Better Pizza Dough Recipe
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

Looking for Better Pizza Dough Recipe
on: Today at 10:43:34 AM

Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify
Greetings,

My name is Brian and my wife and I own a small mom and pop pizzeria/sandwich restaurant in North Central Iowa. We are looking for a simple but better dough recipe. We currently use 25 lbs of flour, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, 6 quarts of water, 1 cup of oil, 1 tablespoon of yeast (IDY).

We put 6 quarts of water with the sugar, salt and oil mixed. Add the flour and yeast and mix.

Very simple. We set it out for several hours, then start making pizza skins.

It's hard to describe how the dough turns out. It is very plain tasting and we waffle back and forth from a more thin crust to a thicker crust. We just haven't found anything that excites us.

I'd like to find a recipe that is an improvement from what we currently have and I'm looking for suggestions.

We make the dough in a 25 lb. batch and put it in a garbage bag and let it set out for at least 1 hour. Then we cut chunks of dough to run through our dough roller to make skins.

We put the skins on either a 12" or 15" screen. We use approx. 22 oz. of dough for our 12" screens and 25 oz.  for our 15" screens. We run the dough ball through the roller put on the screen and cut the excess dough off around the screen.

One of the moderators suggested we describe what type of crust we want to make. I really like the Casey  style of crust but just want to make a quality crust. I'm looking for suggestions and would appreciate any help you folks could provide. It does need to be simple -- I don't think complex is something that would work for us.
Thanks!

scott123

Re: Looking for Better Pizza Dough Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
Brian, welcome. Could you expand a little on the 'Casey' style of crust? Is this a pizzeria?

The members here converse in baker's percentages.  Percent ratios give you an immediate glimpse of what's going on with a formula, rather than having to break out a calculator.  If I have time, I'll convert your recipe from volume to weight and then get percentages for each ingredient (ingredient weight divided by flour weight), but if you could do the math, that would go a long way in helping us help you.

In the meantime, there's one number jumping out at me. 1 T. IDY for 25 lb. flour. That's not a lot of yeast. Is the dough doubling in volume by the time you use it?

Doughs that are fermented for only a matter of hours tend not to be very flavorful. It's when you ferment them overnight where the flavor magic happens.

Offline Soup

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the response! Caseys is a gas station that serves a lot of pizza in the midwest.

Our dough is definitely not doubling in size. The dough seems to cook better when we use it right away versus having it set for a day.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks for trying to help!

scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
Brian, in what way is it 'cooking better' when baked right away?

Offline Soup

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
I probably should have mentioned that we have deck ovens. Not sure if that's important.

At times our pizzas are soggy in the middle. The crust doesn't get very crispy.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
This is the casey's you're referring to, correct?

http://burgersdogspizza.com/tag/caseys-general-store/

To match that, I think you're going to want to increase your oil. I would take a look at Pete-zza's Papa Johns thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.0

I would try a Papa John clone with a considerably smaller thickness factor- .085.

What's your current bake time?

Offline Soup

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
No.  This Caseys.....http://www.caseys.com/

Our bake time is around 15 minutes. Maybe a little longer.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Yep, I'm familiar with that pizza, affectionately known as "quick stop pizza". A good formula for making it is as follows:
Flour: Superlative or equivalent (12.5% protein content) 100%
Salt: 1.75%
Sugar: 2%
IDY: 0.4% or ADY: 0.5% or CY: 1%
Blended oil (20% olive oil + 80% canola oil) 3%
Water: (65F) 60%

Place water in mixing bowl, add salt, sugar then the flour, add yeast on top of the flour and mix for about 2-minutes at low speed or just until you don't see any dry flour in the bottom of the bowl, then add the oil and mix for 1 more minute at low speed. Finish by mixing for 8-minutes at medium speed, or if you can't mix the dough at medium speed, go for 12-minutes at low speed. Target finished dough temperature is 80F. Immediately take the dough to the bench and scale 13-ounces for a 12" crust (dough weight factor of 0.1150442) or 0.1150442-ounces of dough per square inch of surface area). Form the cut dough into balls, place into plastic dough boxes, wipe each dough ball with salad oil, cross stack in the cooler for 2-hours, then nest/cover and allow to cold ferment for 24 to 72-hours. To use the dough, remove some from the cooler, keeping it covered, and allow to temper AT room temperature for 2.5-hours, then pass through a sheeter.dough roller to open the dough to 66 to 75% of the desired diameter, finish opening the dough up by hand to full diameter, or if you're good at it, you can open the dough up entirely by hand. Place the opened pizza skin onto a well seasoned wire screen, dress the skin as desired, and bake at 450 to 475F until golden brown, remove the pizza from the screen and "deck" it. This is where the pizza is removed from the screen and allowed to finish baking for the last minute right on the oven deck.
This should come pretty close to what you are looking for.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »
IMO, a mom n' pop shop in a small town in Iowa should be making pizza that is authentic to the region, which would be midwest-style thin crust (affectionately called "chicago-style" on these forums).  Casey's might be OK, but I grew up in Minnesota and to be honest you would generally find that style at a national chain (or supermarket or gas station), but rarely at a good local mom n' pop shop.

You can find a list of midwest-style dough formulations here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html  I've made a number of those, and I would have to say that my favorite is Garvey's Pizza Factory clone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274).  He even gives a sauce and chicago-style italian sausage recipe for that pie.  I also like the Vito & Nick's clone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6368.100) and the Dino's Gourmet Pizza clone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15203.msg160388.html#msg160388).

Pete-zza's Donato's and Monical's clones look really nice too.  Haven't tried the Donato's, but I've currently got my first Monical's dough in the fridge right now!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Soup,
You might want to take a look at my mid west ""Chicago Style" thin crust pizza. I've been making these since the early 70's, they use a same day dough and are traditionally cooked in a deck oven in a pan. No muss, no fuss and they turn out pretty good. "Individual" size(8-10in) pizza's(instead of selling traditional "slices" since these pizza's are cut into small squares) can be prepared/baked fairly quickly and are profitable. Good luck with your search.
Bob

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22946.msg232649.html#msg232649
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:51:22 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Soup

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Hi Bob,

Your pizza looks great! Can you tell me how I'd make these? We use screens to cook our pizzas not pans. I'd be grateful if you could break it down for me so we could try your recipe.

Thanks!
Soup

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
Hey Soup,
I'd be glad to help you. I must say though this is a completely different direction than what you are currently doing. Presently you have a 22oz dough for a 12in screened pizza. My 12in uses 7oz of dough in a cutter pan.
I think your dissatisfaction with your current set up is due to your using a sheeter on a same day dough but trying to bake it as if were a different style all together. If you would like to improve on what you are doing right now we can help with that. I will say that my Chicago Thin style is a much less labor intensive pizza to produce(less food cost also).
But just for fun, if you'd like to try mine, please tell me what type of oven you are using and I will see if there is a way to bake one of these on a screen tomorrow. I know that it can be accomplished directly on a stone(turns out just slightly different). Are you wanting to avoid peel launching your pies? It would probably be a good idea if you procured a 12 in cutter pan so that you can try this out several different ways.
Bob

Here is the pans and place where I buy....http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-hc4012-12-straight-sided-pizza-pan-hard-coat-anodized-aluminum/124HC4012.html

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
The people of Iowa love their Casey's pizza.  If it sells like hotcakes I see no problem trying to clone it.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Soup

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »
We use to cook our pizzas on pans. We did a thick crust with seasoned pans and also had a thin crust on pans similar to what you showed in the picture. Large pans were 16" and had holes in the pan. The 12" pans didn't have holes. We didn't like the way the pizzas cooked (crust sometimes didn't cook in the center very well) so we went to cooking on screens. The pizza seems to cook nice on screens if the dough is fresh (made that same day). If we try to use the dough the next day, it seems to not cook crispy and is doughy in the center.

We have a Blodgett oven.

Also, not sure what peel launching is.

Should let you know...we have our restaurant up for sale. I have another full time job and my wife and I are not wanting to be restaurant owners any longer. However, we want to produce a good product while we still have it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:45:58 PM by Soup »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
We use to cook our pizzas on pans. We did a thick crust with seasoned pans and also had a thin crust on pans similar to what you showed in the picture. Large pans were 16" and had holes in the pan. The 12" pans didn't have holes. We didn't like the way the pizzas cooked (crust sometimes didn't cook in the center very well) so we went to cooking on screens. The pizza seems to cook nice on screens if the dough is fresh (made that same day). If we try to use the dough the next day, it seems to not cook crispy and is doughy in the center.

We have a Blodgett oven.

Also, not sure what peel launching is.

Should let you know...we have our restaurant up for sale. I have another full time job and my wife and I are not wanting to be restaurant owners any longer. However, we want to produce a good product while we still have it.
Soup,
"Peel launching"is where you take(in you situation) a 24hr(minimum)fermented dough that you hand stretch(NO sheeter)and prep said skin directly on a pizza peel and it is slid off of the peel directly onto your cooking surface. Try that with what you currently have and maybe you'll enjoy the time you have remaining at your establishment.
Sorry to hear that things didn't go well for you and your wife on this particular venture....good luck in ya'lls future endeavors.
Bob

pizzapan