Author Topic: First NY Style bake on steel  (Read 3112 times)

Online Chaze215

First NY Style bake on steel
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
And I like the results! ;D Two day cold ferment with a 60/40 mix of AT & BF. Preheated oven for an hour at 500 and a bake time of 7 mins.
Thanks for looking!
Chaz

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: First NY Style bake on steel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
Well dang...I can see why you like those results. That's a real tasty looker there Chaz, Congrats!
Doesn't appear bottom browning will be a problem with your setup...even at just 500 you got great color.
Was the top of that cornicione as thin and crisp as it looks?  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:07:14 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Well dang...I can see why you like those results. That's a real tasty looker there Chaz, Congrats!
Doesn't appear bottom browning will be a problem with your setup...even at just 500 you got great color.
Was the top of that cornicione as thin and crisp as it looks?  :)

Thanks for the kind words Bob! The cornicione was nice and thin/crisp and had great flavor. I can see why some do use the broiler for some top browning. If I wanted to cut down on the bake time, I would crank the oven up to 550 and use the broiler setting 3- 3.5 mins in to get that nice top browning since I do get sufficient bottom browning fairly quick. I guess that will have to be my next experiment.  ;D
Chaz

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Bob! The cornicione was nice and thin/crisp and had great flavor. I can see why some do use the broiler for some top browning. If I wanted to cut down on the bake time, I would crank the oven up to 550 and use the broiler setting 3- 3.5 mins in to get that nice top browning since I do get sufficient bottom browning fairly quick. I guess that will have to be my next experiment.  ;D
Sounds perfect.  ;)
As Scott says....everyone should experience a sub 4 min. Ny'er at least once in their life. I hope it turns out good for you man. Looking forward to the pics......  :chef:

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
NICE!  ;D I haven't spent a great deal of time in Tom's River, but, based on the pizzerias a little north, I think you'd be really hard pressed to find a pizzeria in your area that could match the quality of that pie.

Undercrust color can be highly subjective.  I have no doubt that Pepe's frequently produces an undercrust of that appearance, and you'll probably find a lot of obsessives that love that much color. If you're looking for a little more crowd pleasing quality, though, I might go a bit less- maybe a 6 minute bake at that pre-heat rather than a 7.

With that in mind, if you want to trim it down to 4, I might go up to 525 rather than 550, with, as you mentioned, the broiler on for 2-3ish minutes of that 4 minute bake. It'll take a few pies to dial in the broiler to match the top bake to the bottom, but you are definitely well along your way.

Let's talk sauce :)  It might be the light, but it's coming off a bit orange-y.  No pre-cook, right? No oil, correct?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:51:30 AM by scott123 »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
great first steel pizza!  I'm loving mine and the experimenting is so much fun.

Online Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
Let's talk sauce :)  It might be the light, but it's coming off a bit orange-y.  No pre-cook, right? No oil, correct?

The tomatoes I used for the sauce were theses http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22553.msg229132.html#msg229132. It was the first time I used these (by the way they were whole). I usual use Cento Crushed with some Italian spices, sugar and a pinch of salt which I like better than the Nina tomatoes. There was no oil used and was not cooked at all. What kind of tomatoes do you guys use?
Chaz

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
I have been using cento crushed

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
Chaz, I use Sclafani crushed, which are Jersey tomatoes.  I've taste tested them side by side with the Cento crushed and the Sclafani's are superior.

I get the feeling that the orange-y appearance I'm seeing could just be a lower quantity of sauce.  Was this less than usual?

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »
I have been using cento crushed

Deb, Craig (and others) have long posited that any Cento products other than the Italian with the can code ROA1 aren't worth buying, and, from testing them on multiple occasions, I'm apt to agree.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Deb, Craig (and others) have long posited that any Cento products other than the Italian with the can code ROA1 aren't worth buying, and, from testing them on multiple occasions, I'm apt to agree.
+1000....very tinny.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »
What type of cheese are you using?
-Jeff

Online Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
What type of cheese are you using?

I used block PollyO whole milk mozzarella.

Scott...I will have have to give Sclafani crushed a whirl next time around. Thanks for the heads up!
Chaz

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »

I have read that, I haven't been able to find the ROA1 for a few years and I don't think I have ever seen them in the crushed.  I haven't seen NJ Scalfani's over here either.  We have a Scalfani but they are a different company and are not good (though I haven't tried them for years).   I'll have to check for those the next time I drive west...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:18:27 PM by deb415611 »

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
I agree on the Centos...last can I picked up was mostly hard, barely ripe tomatoes.
So far the best I've found on the west coast is http://www.bionaturae.com/tomatoes.html whole peeled tomatoes. Another expensive but good brand is Jovial http://www.jovialfoods.com/organic-tomatoes.html

-Peter

Offline scott123

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
I have read that, I haven't been able to find the ROA1 for a few years and I don't think I have ever seen them in the crushed.  I haven't seen NJ Scalfani's over here either.  We have a Scalfani but they are a different company and are not good (though I haven't tried them for years).   I'll have to check for those the next time I drive west...

Deb, Dave Cavanagh (dmcavanagh) can get Jersey Sclafani's and he's in the Albany area.  It's possible they don't deal with any supermarkets in CT, but I'd still look around a bit. You also might try contacting the company.

http://www.donpepino.com/history.asp

I used block PollyO whole milk mozzarella.

This is supermarket Polly-O, right?  I wouldn't normally suggest this, but, since you are advancing so quickly, can you get huge blocks of food service mozzarella at your supply store in Brick?  You might want to think about obtaining a huge block and breaking it down and freezing it. Food service mozz kicks up your pizza to another level.

Online Chaze215

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »
Yes the pollyo was from the supermarket. I will have to check the supply store for sone brick mozzarella...I nevercthought to look. I know they do have shredded mozz but I know the block mooz is better. I need to go there before my next bake anyway to get a bigger peel. The edges of the pie were hanging off the edges which made for a tricky launch  :D
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
Uh C Bob, you gonna quote on every reply now that you are master of quote thingy ?
told you I was nervous  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »
Scalfani, Lafede, Jersey fresh
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
Uh C Bob, you gonna quote on every reply now that you are master of quote thingy ?
told you I was nervous  :-D
John

lol what...did i miss something?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan