Author Topic: Best (supermarket bought) pizza ?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Best (supermarket bought) pizza ?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
FWIW, e300 is ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

Yes, i know what it is.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »
Are there any brown specs in the flour or pieces of anything that isn't finely powdered?

I'm almost to the point where I can give you more concrete recommendations for moving forward, but, for now, we have just a little more fact finding to do.

Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the frozen pizza that you like?  I can see the picture on the box, but a shot of the real product, after baking, would be a huge help.  We need three photos:

1. The top of the pizza
2. A shot of the cross section/crumb of a slice
3. A shot of the bottom of the pizza (aka an 'upskirt')

Just eat some good frozen supermarket pie! First pie i added little pit of wet mozzarella and to the second one also + tuna, pepperoni and pineapple.
Baked about 5 minutes oven temp around 530f.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:06:12 AM by Morgan »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
 you are right that is a good looking frozen pie. do you want to challnge yourself to best that pie or are you happy just buying and baking?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
it looks good, but very far from Neapolitan pizza, this is a classic pizza that can be eaten all over Italy... (pizza Classica)...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Morgan

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
you are right that is a good looking frozen pie. do you want to challenge yourself to best that pie or are you happy just buying and baking?

Absolutely! I have been making lots of pies for the last year and tested different cheeses and doughs, but still this frozen pie is better what it comes to dough .
Dont get me wrong i think my pies are pretty good, but there has to be many things to improve because frosen pie from the market beats the crap out of it.

Not concerned about the toppings or the sauce, but it is the dough what im searching.

it looks good, but very far from Neapolitan pizza, this is a classic pizza that can be eaten all over Italy... (pizza Classica)...

Sorry about that, i was thinking that its kinda Neapolitan style not saying that it is. I was thinking this was the best area to post this topic even this wasnt pure Neapolitan. To me this is a grey area what is Neapolitan style and what is not.

Scott123, im waiting for some kinda advice on this, i would like to bake couple pies on sunday :chef:

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
you are right Morgan, this is a grey area... dont worry, if you hang out around here you will learn how to distinguish...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline scott123

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
Scott123, im waiting for some kinda advice on this, i would like to bake couple pies on sunday :chef:

If, by Sunday, you mean Easter Sunday, then sure, no problem  :-D

Seriously, though, while this isn't going to take weeks, you may not achieve pizza bliss in a matter of days.  We're progressing nicely, and I see a light at the end of the tunnel, but the Finnish ingredients will increase the learning curve.

While that pizza is one of the best frozen pizzas I've ever seen, you have my word that you can top it with your own recipe.

Does the frozen pizza box list ingredients, and, if so, could you post them here? A photo of the nutritional label would be helpful also.

Have you been launching your pizzas with a peel and baking them on a stone?  If so, could you describe the stone and/or take a photo?

Do you have a digital scale for measuring ingredients?

It might be time to start a new post in another sub section of the forum.  While this isn't a 'pure' New York style pizza, it's closer to that than any other, imo, so you might want to start a thread in that forum.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:35:12 PM by scott123 »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Does the frozen pizza box list ingredients, and, if so, could you post them here? A photo of the nutritional label would be helpful also.

There is some ingredients on the packet, photo below. I have used vuolukivi size 10x300x300mm i think its translated soapstone, its better than
my real pizzastone. I also have granit stone, but not tested it yet.

Main ingredients:

wheat flour, water, mozzarella 18%, crushed tomato sauce 7.2%, tomato paste 7.2%, sunflower oil, salt, yeast, olive oil, sugar, oregano.

I will start new threat on ny style.

Offline scott123

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
Morgan, can you get a larger (thicker/wider/longer) piece of vuolukivi? Preferably a slab that's pretty white and not green or purple?

I was hoping to get more information than that from the ingredients, but, unfortunately, the oil and the sugar could be in the crust or the sauce. No biggie, we'll just test the dough with or without both.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
Theres not much information on the packet, they really dont want to share it. Im not shure there is white stones here in Finland, have to dig in to this.
Lets continue here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23178.0.html

pizzapan