Author Topic: My first DD  (Read 4784 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
My first DD
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
My first DD pizza, never had one before... It is pretty good, I only had one slice, very filling. I used BTB dough recipe

Flour *** (100%):  239.82 g  |  8.46 oz | 0.53 lbs
Water (47%):  140.89 g  |  4.97 oz | 0.31 lbs
ADY (.75%):  2.25 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.59 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
Salt (.5%):  1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
Olive Oil (5%):  14.99 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.33 tsp | 1.11 tbsp
Corn Oil (18%):  53.96 g | 1.9 oz | 0.12 lbs | 11.99 tsp | 4 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (1%):  3 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Semolina (20%):  59.95 g | 2.11 oz | 0.13 lbs | 5.74 tbsp | 0.36 cups
Total (192.25%): 576.3 g | 20.33 oz | 1.27 lbs | TF = 0.126875

I short cut the process by precooking the sausage.  Baked in MPO for 11 minutes, with vent 100% closed. Stone temperature were in the top 600s, I lowered the burners to minimum while baking.  I rotated it only couple time. It need to be rotated at least once every 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:12:26 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: My first DD
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
More pics
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
more pics
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
I used 12" x 1 1/2" aluminum pan...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
Does the dough look ok? 

I guess next time I will try crushed tomato instead of diced tomato... Anything else I should try improving?
Bert,

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
I short cut the process by precooking the sausage.

If you didn't have 450+ posts, I thought you were trolling the Chicago Style forum by dropping this as your first picture!   ;D

Anything else I should try improving?

Besides using raw sausage...?

Kidding aside, your pizza turned out great.  If you liked your method and liked the taste, keep doing it!  :chef:

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
If you didn't have 450+ posts, I thought you were trolling the Chicago Style forum by dropping this as your first picture!   ;D

Besides using raw sausage...?

Kidding aside, your pizza turned out great.  If you liked your method and liked the taste, keep doing it!  :chef:

Cheers,
Garvey

Garvey, thanks for your input... I didn't use raw sausage to reduce baking time and the fat ( I drained majority of the fat).  It tasted great.
Bert,

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
Looks great Bert. I was skeptical at first using raw sausage, but it definitely makes a better product in the end.

John

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
Thanks John, I was surprised how well the crust held up, you can lift a slice without breaking.  The only concern I have, is the amount oil used in this dough recipe... I like to try another dough recipe that uses less oil.
Bert,

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
The only concern I have, is the amount oil used in this dough recipe... I like to try another dough recipe that uses less oil.
Bert,

For a first try at the Chicago deep-dish style, I would say that you did very well.

You and Garvey might be interested in this, but I once did some research on the quantity of oil used for the deep-dish style and my recollection is that the range was about 8-30%. Then, a member shared an old Giordano's dough recipe that had been given to him by a relative or acquaintance that went back many years. I did not keep the PMs the member sent me but he said that the recipe was an original Giordano's dough recipe. I converted the recipe to baker's percent format for my own edification and saw that the amount of oil was about 2%. There was also butter or margarine (I don't remember which) used in the dough, at 4%. So, the total fat was only 6%. That sort of flies in the face of how people view oil in a Chicago deep-dish style dough. Also, because of the low total fat, the hydration was higher than what is typically used today. The salt content was also on the low side, much like what you used in your deep-dish dough.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Bert,
For the very first time in your often unorthodox, yet often successful experimentation's....I think this is your most arse backward thing you have done. I know you recently talked about possibly needing some assistance for a Chicago DD experimentation/trials on the MPO.
Please take a deep breath my friend and check out the forums Chicago section concerning the basic build of a DD pizza.
I understand that you would like to include this style of pizza within the MPO's arsenal. I do feel it is possible....but c'mon man....you gotta help us out a 'lil Bert.  :)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
Thanks Peter, please share the link to that recipe if you have it handy, I like to try it.

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
Bert,
For the very first time in your often unorthodox, yet often successful experimentation's....I think this is your most arse backward thing you have done. I know you recently talked about possibly needing some assistance for a Chicago DD experimentation/trials on the MPO.
Please take a deep breath my friend and check out the forums Chicago section concerning the basic build of a DD pizza.
I understand that you would like to include this style of pizza within the MPO's arsenal. I do feel it is possible....but c'mon man....you gotta help us out a 'lil Bert.  :)
Bob

Bob, I appreciate and welcome your input with :) as always. I am new at this, please clarify what part was unorthodox, was it the use of cooked sausage?
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »

Bob, I appreciate and welcome your input with :) as always. I am new at this, please clarify what part was unorthodox, was it the use of cooked sausage?
No Bert...I was referring to all your past "ways of doing things".  :)  This time 'round here you really hit it outta the park!  :-D
But as you have come to learn....we're gonna get this right.....your dedication is what spurs the rest of us on.  :chef:

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
what your thoughts about this recipe by turbo chef

http://www.turbochef.com/residential/our-heritage/dish.aspx?ID=92
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:17 PM »
what your thoughts about this recipe by turbo chef

http://www.turbochef.com/residential/our-heritage/dish.aspx?ID=92
Furthest thing from a DD....you don't like our forums Chicago Style section Bert? There are some easy to follow authentic recipes there. I've made a few of them myself and I'm always impressed at how the members over there really do a good job at creating homemade DD pizza pies.
Bob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:25:06 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
Please be patient Bob and explain to me what is wrong with the pie I made? I called it DD because I wasn't sure of the exact definition of Chicago deep dish. It sound like, I should't even call it DD.

What is the definition of Chicago pizza and deep dish pizza?
Bert,

Offline Garvey

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Bert:

I am sure Bob is jerkin' yer chain a bit.  That pie you made looks great.  And I did see your explanation of the cooked sausage.  Cooking a DD at 600 degrees for an 11-minute total bake time?  Amazing.  You certainly know your craft and your equipment.

Regarding the oil content of the dough, did it taste too heavy?  Or was it tough to manage in the MPO?  I'm just wondering why you're looking for a leaner dough.  If you like the flavor but just want to ingest less oil, you could try making this same pie with less dough.  Ed's (vcb's) dough recipe calls for a dough weight of just under 400g for a 12" pie, vs. nearly 600g for the BTB.  Ed's recipe is not only a great recipe but is also a great guideline for experimentation--with the full method and process mapped out, step by step.  Even when I make the BTB Semolina dough, I use Ed's weights and procedures.  (I can't imagine needing 50% more dough, personally, but YMMV...)

Cheers,
Garvey 

Offline Garvey

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »
You and Garvey might be interested in this, but I once did some research on the quantity of oil used .. an old Giordano's dough recipe ... saw that the amount of oil was about 2%. There was also butter or margarine (I don't remember which) used in the dough, at 4%. So, the total fat was only 6%.

Thanks, Peter.  That confirms my personal experience that Giordano's dough is quite dry and flavorless.  It reminded me more of matzoh than pizza.  Their thin crust was also bland (presumably the same dough is used).

The Giordano's style recipes on this forum, however, are great!  :chef:

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
Bert:

I am sure Bob is jerkin' yer chain a bit.  That pie you made looks great.  And I did see your explanation of the cooked sausage.  Cooking a DD at 600 degrees for an 11-minute total bake time?  Amazing.  You certainly know your craft and your equipment.

Regarding the oil content of the dough, did it taste too heavy?  Or was it tough to manage in the MPO?  I'm just wondering why you're looking for a leaner dough.  If you like the flavor but just want to ingest less oil, you could try making this same pie with less dough.  Ed's (vcb's) dough recipe calls for a dough weight of just under 400g for a 12" pie, vs. nearly 600g for the BTB.  Ed's recipe is not only a great recipe but is also a great guideline for experimentation--with the full method and process mapped out, step by step.  Even when I make the BTB Semolina dough, I use Ed's weights and procedures.  (I can't imagine needing 50% more dough, personally, but YMMV...)

Cheers,
Garvey 

Thanks Garvey... baking time was a lucky guess.

The oil content of the dough tasted heavy. On the other hand, I had one visitor who loved it and prefered it over my NY pizza.  I guess it is a matter of taste.

The dough amount was perfect. just like to use less oil.   I will try Ed's weight next time.
Bert,

pizzapan