Author Topic: Is NY style deck oven pizza dying?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Is NY style deck oven pizza dying?
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
I have been on this forum about 1.5 years and it really has impacted me how the rise in WFO pizzas just seems to keep growing.  I haven't been to NYC in probably 20 years and have lived away from that pizza scene for over 30 year.   From what I read here it looks like the WFO scene is rapidly taking over.  Coal and wood fired seem to be topping the charts around this forum.  I wonder if this is just because there are a lot of WFO pizza makers/lovers here or is this a trend that is representitive across the NYC area?  Even where I grew up in NJ (Essex county a stones throw from NYC) seems to be going more to the WFO pies.  When I go back home I see more WFO and Coal pizza places where as when I grew up there was not a WFO/coal place I knew of.  My aunts family on her husbands side use to run coal oven pizza in the Newark area.  They are all gone and the shops that took over went to gas when I was active there.   Is the gas deck oven NYC thin crust I grew up with heading towards extinction?  Walter
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:55:44 PM by waltertore »

Offline communist

Re: Is NY style deck oven pizza dying?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
I know why you might think that Walter, but I do not think it is true.  On this forum, there are many dedicated, passionate and even expert pizza makers.  Most like NY style, but they look for some variety, some challenge, and for some, superior pizza.  It seems Neapolitan allows for more creativity than NY pie, in the toppings.  I think it allows the pizzamaker to become the chef, allowing for variety and creativity.  I, like you, love the NY pie.  For me, I prefer it to the Margharita.  But I enjoy the Neapolitan because of the variations available.  As an analogy, some musicians love rock and roll and blues.  Some get bored, and go on to jazz.  Neapolitan may be the jazz of the pizza world.  It will never take over the music world, but I can respect those who value it.  Mark

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
I have a mobile wood fired oven and prefer to do more of a Ny style pizza vs Neapolitan. I'm in NJ (born and raised) and know exactly what you're saying. Below are a few pies from my wfo.
Chaz

Offline communist

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
Chaz, those are some nice New York pies :chef:  Mark

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
I have a mobile wood fired oven and prefer to do more of a Ny style pizza vs Neapolitan. I'm in NJ (born and raised) and know exactly what you're saying. Below are a few pies from my wfo.

pies look good!  You are south jersey right?  My mother lives in Toms River.  I tried a coal fired place in TR last time back there. It was not very good at all.    Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
I'm in Toms River as well. Which place did u try? Nino's?
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
I'm in Toms River as well. Which place did u try? Nino's?
I think so.  It is close to my parents retirement place - greenbriar woodlands on new hampshire.   I have found most of the pizza I have tried in Dover Twp to be not so good.  My father got lactose intolerance later in life so they rarely go out for pizza and I pretty much go blindly searching for pizza there.  Franks was another place I found to be mediocre at best. I am sure there are good pizzerias in your area but I don't know them and prefer to fight the GSP and go the places where I was raised up in Essex County.  Walter
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:35:50 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
The best pizza place in this area is DeNino's in Brick. Next time ur in the area, check it out.
Chaz

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
Chaz, those WFO New York–style pizzas look fantastic. I wish more people were doing what you're doing.

Personally, I wouldn't say that NY-style deck oven pizza is dying. It's just not new and novel, so you're not seeing it get the kind of press that the WFO places get.

Also, you have to consider WHERE you're asking this about? Is it dying in NYC or the surrounding region? Not by any means. Is it dying in Ohio or Kansas or Florida or California? Not even there, I'd say. Pretty much any city of a given size seems to have a New York expat living there making New York–style pizza. Think of all the "NYPD Pizza" or "Escape from New York" or "Slice of New York" places out there—all the pun names, hah hah.

But whereas that "story"—the tale of the New Yorker who moved out of the city and missed the pizza from "back home" and opened a pizzeria—where that story may have been told in many a town by now, the WFO oven story (oven from Naples, Italian ingredients, the "true original pizza" story) is still fairly new. Plus, there really is something sexy as heck about cooking with fire. This all really captivates people.

Anyway, that is my two cents.

Again, Chaz, killer looking pies.
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
Thanks akuban, I appreciate your compliments! I can't say that I don't like Neapolitan pizza, I just prefer a NY STYLE. I have yet to attempt a Neapolitan pie in my wood fired oven...lol
Chaz

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
Chaz: I get where you're coming from. You say you have a mobile WFO. Do you sell pizza from it or is this for home use only? If you sell/do events, where?
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
ak, I just got my rig in late August and did my first party a few weeks ago. For now I'm a weekend warrior and of course I use it for myself as well :-) I have to experiment, ya know?...lol BTW I'm in NJ.
Below is what she looks like :-)
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »
Chaze: That is a cool looking rig!  Are there a lot of hoops to jump in NJ to make it a legal operation?  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
Yeah, they don't make it easy Walt....that's for sure.
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
Yeah, they don't make it easy Walt....that's for sure.

Chaze:  I hear you.  You would not believe all the hoops I had to go through to make my bakery/pizzeria happen.  Being paitienct helped and  I smiled a lot.   I got a lot help from being nice too.  The inspectors told me they run into a lot of bad vibes from owners.  I guess your biggest hurdle would be keeping perishables cool.  Raw meats are the biggest issue in pizza.  The board of  health and dept of Agriculture have been great help to me.  We even got inspected by the FDA last month.  Thankfully we have passed all inspections with no violations.   If I can be of any help let me know.   Walter

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
That's a beautiful-looking rig, Chaz. Freakin' serious looking. Is that a 3-bay sink in the front?
ˇHasta la pizza!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Thanks Walt, I appreciate it. The one thing that I have run across is that my HD is worthless. Im not sure they even know the regs.....or at least the ones I have been in contact with so far. Im going to have to go down there in person and see what I can find out.

ak, in the front there is a 3 bay sink and 1 handwash sink.  ;D
Chaz

Offline slybarman

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
No question that Neapolitan in the "hip" "in" thing right now. Seems like a new NP restaurant pops up every other day. Not sure if it is a fad or represents a real trend in people's tastes for pizza.
I have only had NP a few times now. I like it very much, but my preference is still NY style. I am from the school that says there is (almost) no such thing as bad pizza.

pizzapan