Author Topic: Working out some better dough, better sauce  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Working out some better dough, better sauce
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
Jason,

Those are some great looking pizzas!

Norma
Yes, your pies are looking beautiful Jason.
Good to hear you were able to open the cooler 20 min. dough....maybe try one straight outta the koolah?  :)
Also, you mentioned earlier of not being impressed with the cheddar/mozz mix...have you ever tried Gouda or Provolone instead of the Ched.? Asiago(25-30%) gives a nice kick too that you may also like.
Great work man...I enjoy your attention to detail.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »

I love the way the heat coming off just kind of melts the prosciutto  ;)
Sadly, I didn't have time to hit my normal source for good prosciutto (DiBruno Bros here in Philly), and had to settle for a packaged version from Whole Foods, which wasn't nearly as good as what I normally get. Still, not too bad, though...

__Jason

Jason,

I have been to DiBruno Bros in Philly a couple of times and do know how good their prosciutto is.  I love the Italian Market in Philly.  The prosciutto on your pie looks very good even if you purchased it from Whole Foods.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
Well, that was interesting! The science experiment continues...

I had two dough balls in the fridge yet (5 days old). My plan tonight was to make a kick-azz clam pie (with bacon!), and then leave the fourth dough ball for another full week, as I'm leaving town for a ski trip.

Things started out so well, but quickly went off the rails!

Good to hear you were able to open the cooler 20 min. dough....maybe try one straight outta the koolah?  :)

Funny you should mention this - I didn't plan it this way, but this is exactly what happened! I pulled out one ball and gave it 10 or 15 minutes at room temp before opening it up. Everything was going swimmingly, and I was just about to place the skin on the peel when one hand slipped and I ended up with a tangled and tearing skin! ARGH! I had such high hopes for this pie, that I quickly gave up on saving it (I didn't want an ugly pie!), so I re-balled this disaster, stuck it back in the fridge, and grabbed the second (very cold!) ball and immediately started opening it. I went slow, and it opened up OK. Got it on the peel, dressed it, and... the little mf'er stuck to the peel a bit as I slid it in the oven!  :o NOOOOOOOOOO!

I didn't take the time to really inspect the situation - I just closed the oven and crossed my fingers.

One other note: hottest oven I ever had! Measured the tiles at 660 before sliding the pie in. Started smoking immediately, as some of the toppings ended up on the tiles, I think. I assumed the worst.

In the end, it wasn't *that* bad. It was misshapen, yes... but not nearly as bad as I feared. The char on the bottom was insane... half a shade too much, for me actually. I kept it in for 4.5 minutes, but I'm thinking around 4 would have been better. And the cold dough going into super-hot oven gave me some wicked oven spring, and one of the biggest edge crust bubbles I've ever seen. I wish I would have gotten it on the tiles properly, because this pie had such great potential!

Oh, well... while not what I hoped for, it was still quite delish, and was a good learning experiment. I suspect that condensation on the cold dough may have caused it to be stickier than I expected, resulting in the misfire. One thing is for sure... I need to experiment more at these higher oven temperatures, I think. To be honest, I'm not sure how hot this oven will go at this point.

And the 4th dough ball that got mangled and put back in the fridge? That will be an experiment for another day! LOL!

(BTW, trick photography was used to make the finished pie look mostly normal... it really wasn't quite that pretty!)

__Jason

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
Jason,
Although I don't believe the "trick photography" statement....if it is true please don't do that anymore. We learn from our flops and I know you are here to learn(like me).

Your posts are a lot of fun to read, you got a great outlook and your pies are coming along really well. Thanks for the contributions man! :chef:

Bob

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
Well, got back from vacation and decided to bake off that last dough ball that's been sitting in the fridge (was re-balled after mangling it while opening last week). So this was almost a 2-week old dough ball.

The results: OK - nothing special. It was good to know that I could re-ball and messed up skin and still make a viable pie from it later on though. Flavor-wise, I don't think it really gained much from the extra long time in the fridge.

One thing I need to work on though: more even stretching of my skins. I tend to over-stretch the middle part to almost one giant window pane, with a thick crust. Some are better than others, but I'm not consistent enough. As you can see, this was a *very* thin center crust. I really like a thin crust, but this was extreme - nothing more than a browned bottom and a layer of cheese on top - no real bready "substance" in between... 2 dimensional pizza!  :-D

__Jason

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
She sure is pretty Jason....I believe you have created a new style!  :chef:  East meets Midwest....NewCracker.  8)

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Ha! "NewCracker"... I like it!

You know, I never really set out to make a particular "style", like NY or whatever. I just always wanted to make it the way that I like it, which is thin and a bit crispy, but with a puffy edge crust - definitely not cracker style. I've always had a hard time categorizing my pizza.

__Jason