Author Topic: My first try with Caputo 00  (Read 4049 times)

Offline bonesbr549

Re: My first try with Caputo 00
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, John. I used Inoue's Hata Dry Yeast, which has given me very good results. For six 260g doughballs, I used about half a packet(roughly 3g). And yes, talk about challenges, I am constantly seeing a lot on these forums about using a sourdough starter and even making it yourself. That will be a BIG challenge for me as I have absolutely no idea where to start with something like that. But I intend to read more and experiment eventually.  :)

I'm just starting to try the 00 style and first trys not to impressed. I'm guessing without the high heat of the wfo i will not see success.   so you use 65% hydration and u used 3g of yeast for all 6 combined?  If you would share you making process it would be appreciated.   Nice pies.  I begin my wfo build this summer.   

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
I'm just starting to try the 00 style and first trys not to impressed. I'm guessing without the high heat of the wfo i will not see success.   so you use 65% hydration and u used 3g of yeast for all 6 combined?  If you would share you making process it would be appreciated.   Nice pies.  I begin my wfo build this summer.  

To be frank, I never even entertained the idea of using Caputo 00 until well after I had finished building my WFO, so I guess I couldn't say how it might come out in a 500f bake. Maybe someone else can chime in and give their opinion. However, My impressions are below, with the exact procedures I used for my dough...

Impressions:

1. The flour absorbs water well, and seems like I could go a bit higher in hydration than 65%, but I did not.
2. After the dough sat for about 6 or 7 minutes to autolyse for the first time, working it was easy and I did not have to add ANY bench flour.
3. Silky-smooth and not an ounce of pasty residue on my hands after kneading
4. Using no oil at all in my bulk container, the dough came out of the container on its own fairly easily. I just placed the container upside-down and let gravity pull it out. The dough seemed really insistent on sticking to itself.
5. After baking, it was incredibly light, chewiness was about half that of my crusts made with regular high gluten flour and had a beautiful tenderness that made me count down the bites til I got to the edges.

In summary, I liken the Caputo to a well aged, tender Wagyu filet, whereas my best efforts before were akin to an excellent Angus Sirloin, while certainly nothing to complain about, it just does not compare to Wagyu.

Procedures I used:

1. Doing the math backward, I wanted to end up with 260 gram dough balls, so I needed 155.22g Caputo 00 flour per pie, along with 100.9g of water per pie. This is 65% hydration, with the other couple of grams or so being salt and yeast.
2. I measured out exactly 931g of flour and set it aside, measured out exactly 405g of cold water and 200g warm water(all bottled/purified)
3. I dissolved 3 grams of dry yeast in the warm water, then added the cold water and most of the flour(approximately 80%), just to get it all pretty wet. (I know 3 grams of yeast seems like too little, but it really isn't, especially if you let the dough ferment slowly over a few days in a colder environment.)
4. I used a plastic cake spatula to cut in the flour and get the mixture working a little.
5. I covered the bowl and let it sit for about 5 minutes
6. I then used the remaining 20% of the flour to clean off the spatula and proceeded to work in the rest of the flour by hand, occasionally rubbing my hands to remove anything that was sticking at that point, as well as cleaning the inside of the bowl to be certain that 100%(or close) of the flour would find it's way into the dough.
7. After about 5 minutes of working the dough, I again covered it and let it rest about 10 minutes.
8. I sprinkled in 22 grams of Mediteranian sea salt(Costco Japan) and began giving the dough an extensive kneading of about 8 to 10 minutes. By this time, the bowl was completely clean and I was working on a stainless steel countertop with absolutely no bench flour...and without any sticking issues at all.
9. I let the dough rest for another 5 minutes, gave it a final 3 or 4 minute kneading and placed it in an appropriate sized Rubbermaid container.
10. I set the container into my refrigerator, which is currently set to 3 degrees C (37.4 F), for 3 full days.
11. On the morning of my pizza party, I pulled the dough out of the fridge and let it rest for about an hour and a half at 17 C (62.6 F). This is just what my house is like in Winter. I do not try to do any temp control just for pizza.
12. I weighed and balled into six 260 gram doughballs and placed in my plastic dough trays which I lightly floured the bottoms of. They were balled at 1:30pm and baked over the course of the evening from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.

Hope that helps! It may not be the perfect procedure, but it worked for me! I wish you the best with your WFO this summer!! My advice to you is once you start, rest not until it is done!!  :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:30:05 AM by f.montoya »

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:58 AM »
A little tour of my yard, my wood fired oven, my pizza flour and my firewood. Taken February 10th, 2013...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oena9y0DBdo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oena9y0DBdo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
Did 7 pizzas tonight. Here is my Margherita which, again, was made on a Caputo 00, 65% hydration dough. I ate this one myself, while my wife and kids ate some other, more "American" topped pizzas. I think I could go with just slightly less yeast next time for a 72 hour cold rise. I used 4 grams for 7 pizzas(one was actually half the regular size). I think I'll go with about 3 grams next time. But these were delicious nonetheless! :)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Very authentic, and really soft looking. Nicely done. You are killing me - my oven is under 3 feet of snow, more of it today.

You could probably stretch those pies out to a larger size. But if the extra puffiness is what you are after, then they look great.

John

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
Very authentic, and really soft looking. Nicely done. You are killing me - my oven is under 3 feet of snow, more of it today.

You could probably stretch those pies out to a larger size. But if the extra puffiness is what you are after, then they look great.

John

Thanks! Eventually my hand-stretching skills and/or launching skills will get better and the pies will get larger. Maybe you can advise. They start off looking like a nice 12"(30cm) on the marble(granite) counter-top. I pull it onto the peel and they appear to be unchanged in size, but then I launch it carefully and a bit slowly into the oven as I am not confident enough to do one of those super-fast launches where the peel is jerked backward quickly. Then, when the pie comes out it's lost about an inch or so in diameter. Maybe my shimmying of the pie as I'm launching is causing the pie to contract inward on the peel?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
The traditional way is to slap the skin out to around 10 inches, top, then as you are sliding the pie onto the peel you stretch it out to 12 or 13 inches, with some even hanging over the side. Here is an exaggerated look at the procedure at Da Michele - probably larger that you want to go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9U1dKNpZg[/youtube]

Notice that the pie on the peel is oval with the edges hanging over the sides. If you get it right, when you launch the sides grab the oven floor just the front touches, and they hold in place pulling the side closest to you into a perfect circle. A really hard procedure to pull off - I normally just let the pie slide off slowly so I can guide it.

John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:20:04 AM by Steve »

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
The traditional way is to slap the skin out to around 10 inches, top, then as you are sliding the pie onto the peel you stretch it out to 12 or 13 inches, with some even hanging over the side. Here is an exaggerated look at the procedure at Da Michele - probably larger that you want to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9U1dKNpZg

Notice that the pie on the peel is oval with the edges hanging over the sides. If you get it right, when you launch the sides grab the oven floor just the front touches, and they hold in place pulling the side closest to you into a perfect circle. A really hard procedure to pull off - I normally just let the pie slide off slowly so I can guide it.

John

You know, I saw that very same video recently, and it's why I wanted to eat my Margherita pie tonight with a fork and butter knife, lol. In any case, maybe I should reduce the weight of my doughballs to around 240g from 260g. I kept them at 260g because I worried about stretching them too thin and because of that, they might tear on launch. I think I'm over that fear now. Also, my peel is exactly 12 inches wide. In the "Da Michele" video, they pull the dough about an inch and a half over each the left, and right side of the peel. If I did that on my peel, I would end up with a 14" or 15" inch pie. I'd really like to stay with 12" pies. Do you think I should get a smaller peel for launching? Maybe a 10" peel that I could stretch the skin over the sides like in the video? Or would a minimal centimeter on each side be enough to grab the oven floor to accomplish the same technique properly?

I'd like to say that after only 3 months of owning my WFO, and with such little experience, these forums have been invaluable to me and my family as we undoubtedly are enjoying better pizza than we otherwise would be without the insights shared here on these message boards.  :)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
No, the video I posted was meant to be an exaggerated view of what the procedure is. Your ball size seems right on, as well as your peel. The trick is that if your hydration and fermentation is right on you let the dough "rest" for a few seconds while you top, and then re-stretch. This minimizes the dough shrinking back so much once set in the oven. I would stretch your ball out to about 9 inches, top, then out to a little over 12, so the edges just barely drape the sides.

John

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Thanks, John. One last question...

When I slap down and stretch my dough, I am very careful not to slap on the outer 1/2 inch of the skin. Perhaps I am being a bit too cautious and this also might contribute to the extra puff? If I slap and stretch, slap and stretch, including some vigorous hits on the outer rim, will I kill my edges? I guess the condensed question is how to you treat your skin's outer rim during stretching?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
Thanks, John. One last question...

When I slap down and stretch my dough, I am very careful not to slap on the outer 1/2 inch of the skin. Perhaps I am being a bit too cautious and this also might contribute to the extra puff? If I slap and stretch, slap and stretch, including some vigorous hits on the outer rim, will I kill my edges? I guess the condensed question is how to you treat your skin's outer rim during stretching?

I usually do the same thing. Although I have seen in other threads that people smash them down and still get a good puff around the edges. I would assume that if you have good leavening, then it will expand no matter what. Do a test with one of your dough balls on the next bake.

John

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
I usually do the same thing. Although I have seen in other threads that people smash them down and still get a good puff around the edges. I would assume that if you have good leavening, then it will expand no matter what. Do a test with one of your dough balls on the next bake.

John

Will do. The next bake is actually a party for 42 guests, 23 of which are kids (students of the English school I own here in Japan), on the afternoon of Sunday, March 10th. Hoping for good weather!! I will be sure to report back on my tests with what you've helped me with. Thanks again, John!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
Will do. The next bake is actually a party for 42 guests, 23 of which are kids (students of the English school I own here in Japan), on the afternoon of Sunday, March 10th. Hoping for good weather!! I will be sure to report back on my tests with what you've helped me with. Thanks again, John!

Where can i sign ;D

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
oh man, I'm trying not to bake this weekend (I've eaten close to 10 pies already since the season began) but after seeing these pictures and TXCraig's, I've got that urge again!

Very nice bake!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Very authentic, and really soft looking. Nicely done.

^^^

Gorgeous.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

John

It seems almost sinful to spend so much time building a great dough only to slap it down like it owes you money.

I see no downside of protecting the cornicione.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan