I had a similar challenge / experience. A neighbor gave me a jar of starter they had never used - it had been a gift from a friend of theirs. It had been unattended in the back of the refrigerator for over a year.
It was pretty gross. There was a layer of something black / disgusting on top. Once I went past that and scooped out from the bottom, it was a goop that smelled like vomit. Really bad.
I began a process of feeding twice (or more) a day. My feeding routine was to toss 1/2 and then feed back a 50/50 mix by weight of KAAP and bottled water. Say, 200 grams starter, 100 KAAP, 100 water.
I think I got very discouraged for many days, perhaps a week, because not much was happening. It did slowly smell less bad, but still smelled bad, and there was a tiny bit of expansion.
Suddenly, after about a week, the starter doubled one day! And it smelled decent. I kept feeding the same way and after another week it was in tip-top shape.
So, my suggestion is
stay patient, flour and water are cheap.
Perhaps feed more frequently.
Perhaps use bottled water.