Author Topic: First NP pizzas in WFO  (Read 3374 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: First NP pizzas in WFO
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
Are you using a higher hydration than most?

What is most?

Even at 61% with as little as I work it and 24 hours in balls (after 24 in bulk), it's really really slack.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
Just get in there and get dirty and have fun.

My $.02

I concur and am resisting the urge to make a joke about that comment.  ;)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline PizzaioloCow

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
Sorry! I thought I replied to these but apparently not.

@Qarl
Thanks for the nice comments!

@Pete-zza
Thank you for linking to the Pizza Today article.  All of the comments made by Mr. Lehmann make a lot of sense.

@pizza dr
Your method for opening skins sounds exactly like what I do.  I'll keep your advice in mind.

@TXCraig1
Thank you for the extra information on how you drain your cheese.  It seems counter-intuitive that it would need to drain less when it's fresh, but I've read about the fresh mozz on some NY-elite pizzas being good because the restaurant owners are able to acquire the cheese while it's still firm.

@David Deas
I don't know if this question is directed at me or not, but I believe the pizzas at the start of this thread were 65% hydration.

@f.montoya
Thanks for the reply!  The fire is situated in the right side of the oven pushed slightly toward the back.

@Jet_deck
Thanks, again, for your advice.  You mentioned that you think a pizza veteran can top on the peel.  With a wooden peel would you still advise the practice of building the pizza on a work surface and transferring to a peel?

@pizzablogger
  :-D

These are some pizzas I made on Sunday.  They were made with Caputo 00 and baked in the WFO with a floor temperature of almost exactly 750F.  When I saw the first cheese pizza be pulled from the oven I immediately thought of the first photo of a Patsy's pizza posted by PFTaylor in this reply: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2517.msg21908.html#msg21908.  The cheese was Stella brand part-skim dry mozz.  The hydration, 61%, was lower than what I normally use which I believe resulted in a lack of leapording on the rim of the pizzas.  Next time I'll continue to lower the TF (the amount of dough used to make these pizzas was the same as the pizzas in the OP, but you can see these pizzas were larger by about 2" or so) and also try to get some whole-milk mozz somewhere.

Photos:
1) Dough just prior to being balled
2) Stretched skin on peel
3) Baked cheese pizza
4) Slice of Cheese pizza
5) Undercrust
6) Four pizzas in a row

Thanks!
-Jake
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:43:33 PM by PizzaioloCow »

Offline f.montoya