Author Topic: Perfect Giordano's-style Crust!  (Read 12912 times)

Offline buzz

Perfect Giordano's-style Crust!
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »
Last night I made the perfect Giordano's-style crust in my convection oven--an exact duplicate of the restaurant!

Using the formula I'd worked out before based on 6TBS oil/2cups flour (I used Gold Medal AP), I let the dough rise for 8 hours at room temperature (actually I proof it in the oven, giving it a little blast of heat every so often). Punched it down, then let it rest about half an hour before "rolling" it out by hand and pressing it into a 6" hard coat anodized deep dish pan (2" deep) from abestkitchen.com.

Since I've learned that the convection oven has a tendency to cook the top faster than the bottom, I covered the pan with foil, and let the douigh par-bake on the bottom rack at 450 on convection for 15 minutes from a cold oven (this oven heats up remarkably fast). Then added toppings and cooked another 10 minutes on the middle rack.

It came out perfectly done--pie-like and sort of cake-like at the same time, just like Giordano's! I attribute the success to the new oven, which cooks much faster and more efficiently than my big gas oven.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Perfect Giordano's-style Crust!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:06:23 PM »
Hello Buzz;
I am very interested in your method of making the Girodano deep dish pizza.  Every time I try to make one the taste comes out great, BUT the crust is tough (a little leathery like a new york style pizza).  I have tried several dough recipes, but still have very poor luck with the crust.  I am fairly new to this site and am not familiar with how to get a complete copy of your recipe and would sincerly appreciate your direction as to how I can obtain a copy.  Thank you for your time.....
Buffalo

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »
Here is an old post:

2 cups KA AP
1 heaping TSP yeast
.50 cup, plus 2 TBS water
1 TSP sugar
.50 TSP sea salt
6 TBS oil (5 canola, 1 extra light olive oil)

Kneaded by hand for one minute, then let rise for 8 hours at room temperature. Then streched it out by hand this time, folded it in quarters. let the dough rest, then repeated folding. let it rest again, then pressed it by hand into 9.5" pan. Added .50 pound Sorrento mozzarella, and 6-in-1-based sauce. Cooked for 40 minutes in preheated 450 degree oven.

The result was very much like Giordano's, so I think that this much oil (6 TBS) is the trick. However, it was almost too biscuit-like, so next time I will knead the dough for two minutes to develop a little more gluten. I would recommned this to anyone who wants to try this version!

This is the basic formula--if you use Kosher salt, you should up it to around 1 tsp. Since I've been doing more trials I think that a 2-minute knead by hand makes a more authentic Giordano's crust. I also don't know if you need to do the folding trick (I got this from Tom Lehman and Giordano's does run their deep-dish dough through the sheeter twice, but I don't know if it makes any difference), and I don't know if rolling it out (mimicking a sheeter)versus pressing it into the pan makes any difference.

As for your leathery experience--the more you knead the dough, the more the gluten forms, and the more gluten you have, the more bread-like the dough will become. I don't know if this is what you mean by "leathery". Traditional Chicago deep-dish (Giordano's, Uno's, Malnati's, etc.) features a biscuit-like crust, which requires a much shorter kneading time.

Hope this helps!

Buzz

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »
Thanks Buzz;
I will give this a try.  I appreciate your information....... ;D
Buffalo

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:03:15 AM »
For the latest one I used Gold Medal flour--the results were superior to King Arthur.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »
Buzz, if you'll put a final recipe together I'll be happy to add it to the main recipes section on the site.  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »
Basic formula for a Giordano's-style deep dish pizza crust--this makes a 9-10" pizza (can be multiplied according to need):

2 cups AP
1 heaping tsp. yeast
.50 cup plus two TBS water (adjust for humidity, age of flour, altitude as necessary)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Kosher salt
6 TBS (not tsp.) oil (5 canola, 1 extra light olive oil)

Proof yeast with a little sugar in water. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in bowl. Add proofed yeast mixture, then oil, mix with a spoon just until it comes together (about 10 seconds). Transfer to kneading board and shape into a rough ball--it should come together right away. Knead by hand for exactly 2 minutes--it should be a nice, pliable ball of dough.

Let rise at room temperature (I put mine in the oven and give it a short blast of 250 heat--a minute or so--once every 2 hours) for 8-10 hours. The dough will not rise as much as bread dough (which is kneaded longer). After the rise, punch and let the dough relax for 10 minutes or so to let the gluten relax.

Now you can either roll it out with a rolling pin, or stretch it by hand into a circle, and drape it into a deep dish pan. Do not let it rise again in the pan. At this point, you can either par-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes in a 450 degree oven, or go ahead and add the cheese, sauce, and toppings.

Bake at 450 for 30-40 minutes (in my oven; yours may take less time)--less if par-baked. Less also if you cook it in a convection oven. The finished pizza crust should be golden brown.

Enjoy!

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »
I'm definately going to give this recipe a try this weekend.  I would do it tonight but the rise time may be a bit of a problem.  Also my wife would kill me if I suddenly switched to pizza after promising to make sloppy joes  :'(

What would you suggest for those of us without convection ovens?  I have a traditional el cheepo gas oven.

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »
I'll be trying this recipe this weekend also. Here in canada its sucks, we dont get alot of stuff you guys get down there, like flour and the 6-1 tomatos, but i have to work with what i got to make it all work. I also have a gas oven, so same question, would i have to do anything diferently.

Thanks Buzz

And also after i make my pie, i will post a few pictures. And buzz if you could post some picture of your process of making the mizza i think we would all be in debt to you and also with regards to getting your giordanos recipe on the main page, you could use those pictures for the recipe page.

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
It's just that I've just been experimenting with the convection oven--the recipe works in normal ovens, too (just remember that cooking times will vary according to your own oven, so keep an eye on things!).  Before the convection oven, I've never par-baked the deep dish crust in a regular oven, but you could try it if you feel like it.

I have learned that if you make the dough too thick (say, over a quarter of an inch--I'm guessing), it tends to be too biscuit-y.

Enjoy!

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
well i made the dough over 20mins ago, so its in the oven now. And yes Buzz the dough looks awesome. Ha, i know its a little late in the day to get started on a dough that needs to rise so long, so i geuss i will put putting my pizza in the oven around midnight, when my parents are sleeping.

Oh yes and there will be lots of pictures.

Update(with pictures)

Heres the dough about 2.5 hours into its rising process. I had to take it out of the oven for a little bit, but it will be going back in for the last 7 hours or so.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 07:51:51 PM by Chicago Rules!!! »

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 02:21:37 AM »
I tell you guys one thing, this dough was super sticky, i mean i had to add alot more flour so i could roll this out. I finally got it done but sheesh what a job.

Heres a few prep pictures.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 03:12:00 AM by Chicago Rules!!! »

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 03:13:41 AM »
Oh yes and did i mention im only 20 years old.  ;)

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe Buzz. You rock!!

Nathan Rogers

Offline buzz

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 10:20:01 AM »
Chicago Rules--

Thanks! Looks like a great job you did. I've never had a sticky problem with this dough, but a little flour will cure the problem.  Nice pics!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »
Nice, Very nice.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 08:40:21 PM »
And i finally got ahold of those 6-in-1 tomatos, and they taste amazing.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 09:26:09 PM »
 Hey Chicago Rules,
 What an amazing looking pizza, i cannot believe you are only 20. What did you're folks think? Nathan, you are the Lebron James of Chicago Deep Dish pizza.   
                                                                                               Chiguy

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »
Thanks Chiguy, that means alot. Well you know when you love something as much as i loved Chicago when i visted there back in october, well you just put everything you got into making something great. Chicago is now my favorite city and im planning to start school in september to become a interior architect, all so that i move to Chicago and learn about architecture and be close to my special friend, able to see my favorite team the cubbies all the time and last but definatly not least the amazing food.

I must sound nut's, only slightly, but mostly its the love i have for Chicago.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:14:26 PM by Chicago Rules!!! »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »
And i finally got ahold of those 6-in-1 tomatos, and they taste amazing.

Did you use the 6-in-1s on the pizza? The pictures look great, how did it taste?  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 02:13:26 PM »
Did you use the 6-in-1s on the pizza? The pictures look great, how did it taste?  :)

I sure did Steve, and they are soooooo good. I sprinkled a little oregano on the top and it was very good.

pizzapan