Author Topic: Please be gentle! Anyone know if GV brand cheese changed their formula?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
Im asking about the Walmart brand, Great Value mozz cheese. Ive been making homemade pizza for the past few years using Tom's NY style dough (with a couple modifications to my liking) and love the results. I had been primarily using GV mozz because its cheap(er) and easily available. I also like it because some of the other brands Ive tried, taste.. "glossy" or gummy if that makes sense. The GV cheese seemed to be more flat and I liked the texture better. anyway, I haven't made any pizza for a few months and made 3 pies last week. I used 2 different walmarts, but all the cheese doesn't taste like it used to, it tastes more like the other brands that I didnt like. I wonder if they changed?

Also, I was reading here that everyone seems to love Grande brand cheese, but when I went to their site, I couldnt find a "Where to buy" button and google didnt return any useable results. Im in omaha, ne, anyone have an idea who might sell it so I can try it?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Please be gentle! Anyone know if GV brand cheese changed their formula?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
Walmart doesn't make cheese. There are probably multiple companies that pack it for them. The specifications may or may not be the same from packer to packer. Even if the specs are the same, it might not taste the same due to differences in manufacturing processes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »
I wonder if they changed the suppliers of that cheese all-together. I had been using it for years and it had been pretty consistent. Now Im not sure what I want to use, might have to start over :(

Where are you guys getting your Grande cheese?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
I wonder if they changed the suppliers of that cheese all-together. I had been using it for years and it had been pretty consistent. Now Im not sure what I want to use, might have to start over :(

It's very possible that they changed suppliers. Which GV mozz were you using?

No Grande cheese to be found here where I'm at.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

Don't know if you have a Trader Joe's there or not, but I use both their fresh cow, fresh buffalo and not fresh mozz. I find them pretty good . I also like to add a bit of AGED provolone for additional flavor.

Whole Foods sells a Grande brand mozz here but I do not believe it is the same as the commercial mozz discussed on these pages.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
Don't know if you have a Trader Joe's there or not, but I use both their fresh cow, fresh buffalo and not fresh mozz. I find them pretty good . I also like to add a bit of AGED provolone for additional flavor.

Mark

What does fresh buffalo mozz cost at TJ's?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »
What does fresh buffalo mozz cost at TJ's?

7 oz Mendara imported from Italy, $6.99/ea
thank you TJ helpful staff for that info. My brain has a retention issue.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
I was using the 8 oz bags of shredded mozzerella, Im pretty sure its the part skim, but its not the finely shredded.

Its funny because I am reading about how ppl are saying its burning on them now. One thing I noticed with this new batch, is I had to cook it LONGER to make it brown on top. I usually only cook it for 5 mins @ 550 degrees on my pizza stone. My last pies with the seemingly new batch of mozz, I had to cook for 6 or 6:30 to make it brown on the top.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »
I'm not embarrassed to say I use GV Whole Milk block mozz. Not much else available to me here in the sticks, and it's better than part skim. Quite frankly a lot of the GV products are darn good... dare I say, a GREAT VALUE! :-D

Edit: I've never seen a whole milk shredded mozz. in walmart, so I can say with confidence you use the part skim type.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:26:08 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline dineomite

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
Husker, I would call around to any Italian groceries in your area. Often times they use the commercial Grande and package it in plastic containers for individual sale.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I made another pizza last night, cutting down to 6 oz of cheese instead of the whole 8 oz bag. I also tried sprinkling a little olive oil on it to help the cheese. The result was that it looked right, and the texture was better, but still had absolutely no flavor. I had been using this same cheese for years and it tasted fine, what gives?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
That's always the risk when going with private label products. They can and will change on you at any time and with no warning.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline 02ebz06

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

I buy my Grande cheese and Ezzo Pepperoni from Pennmac.Com.
Good place, lots of items.
Shipping costs I found reasonable and packaged extremely well.
Anything perishable is packed in an insulated container with ice packs.
From PA to TX the packs have melted but are still cold. Perfect timing.
Farther west 2-day shipping needs to be specified.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »
I checked out the pennmac.com site, but I dont know about the "reasonable shipping". The 50/50 blend (5lb bag) was 22.95 but the shipping to nebraska was $16.84! Ouch!

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
In case anyone is still following this thread, I thought I would report back with my findings. the two online places i tried for grande cheese wanted way too much to ship it. So I got a local pizzeria to sell me a 5lb block of their cheese. It is Deformaggio (or something like that), part skim. It cooked up nicely and had good flavor! I will try Sams club next time when I run out of this cheese.

On another note, I also scored a 50lb bag of KASL from a local distribtor for $24 (no tax or shipping).Yeah!

Can anyone comment on the Mozzerella @ sams?

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Just curious... how come you are sticking with Part-skim?
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
I was using the 8 oz bags of shredded mozzerella, Im pretty sure its the part skim, but its not the finely shredded.

Its funny because I am reading about how ppl are saying its burning on them now. One thing I noticed with this new batch, is I had to cook it LONGER to make it brown on top. I usually only cook it for 5 mins @ 550 degrees on my pizza stone. My last pies with the seemingly new batch of mozz, I had to cook for 6 or 6:30 to make it brown on the top.
I used to use their 1 lb block once in a while in a pinch.Noticed it changed a couple months ago and quit it.
Craig hit it on the head and you'd be surprised where your cheese comes from. Used to have a perfect Grande clone at BJ's club...came from Wellesly Farms and could be had for $1.97 a lb.! It's still there at BJ's but is waaay different now.  >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Just curious... how come you are sticking with Part-skim?

I've been using part-skim on my DS because I put on so much additional fat with the cheddar on the edge and the other toppings (2 layers of pepperoni or a big layer of raw bacon between cheese layers for example).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
JD, im mainly sticking with the part skim for the fewer calories and fat content. As long as I can get some decent cheese, it tastes excellent with my NY style dough. I also use turkey pepperoni and turkey sausage. This allows me to eat pizza more often!