Author Topic: Can you Cold Rise Caputo 00 ???  (Read 1660 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Can you Cold Rise Caputo 00 ???
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
I have been searching the web because I still have some Caputo 00 flour left over that a good friend gave to me.    
I typically use Pendleton POWER flour for my pizza dough making and I add some beer to the recipe. The recipe on this link looks like a good one. However, i am used to doing a cold rise. Can the 24 / 48 hour cold rise be done with this recipe measurements or do I need to make adjustments??? Thank you for any comments.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_dough.html

Also, will beer mess it up??
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:51:40 PM by TomN »

Offline Morgan

Re: Can you Cold Rise Caputo 00 ???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
I have used cold rise many times with 00 flour without any problems, never used beer though. I think it might be better with beer at least on
home oven, beer has some serious carbs i mean.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:14:55 PM by Morgan »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
its designed for room temp ferments, but I have had MANY killer pizzas made with 00 that were either partially or mostly fermented in the walk in/fridge.    Dont let a fridge rise scare you off.   

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
I have done a cold rise before with Caputo 00. However, every article that I have read or video clip that I have watched about the Caputo 00 does not cold rise. So that is why I asked. Thanks for the feedback.

TomN

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
I have done a cold rise before with Caputo 00. However, every article that I have read or video clip that I have watched about the Caputo 00 does not cold rise. So that is why I asked. Thanks for the feedback.

TomN

You may want to read the thread about cloning the A16 pizza dough.  It is a long thread and it is all about cold fermentation of 00 flour.  I made the "pieguy recipe" a couple of months ago and my recollection is very positive.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.0.html

- Mitch

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Tom, I have been using 60% Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and 40 % KABF. colder ferment 60-72 hrs <40F with excellent results. Haven't done 100% Caputo for a long time but now that I can get higher temps I am planning on it. Do a trial and let us know how you like it compared to room temp ferment.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »
Thank you Mitch & Mark for your comments. Since my home oven does not get that high of a temperature and I use a pizza screen at 425 degrees for 15 mins, i am going to stick with Pendleton POWER flour. I had a friend that gave me a bag of Caputo 00 as a gift. She uses it to make home made bread that is delicious. I just used it for pizza dough. Once it is finished, I might buy some more to make bread. Thanks again.

TomN