Author Topic: Ok, I made pizza in a skillet, does that make it pan pizza?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline redox

Ok, I made pizza in a skillet, does that make it pan pizza?
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
I made a pan pizza, I guess. I used a 10 inch Lodge frying pan in my 550 F electric oven, baked it for 12 minutes. It baked on the lowest rack in the oven w/o a pizza stone. The top browned wonderfully but the bottom was a bit light. Can anyone tell me if baking it directly on my pizza stone would help with browning? Or should I bake it a bit longer with some foil over the top to prevent over-browning of the top? I'll post the only pix I took. We missed lunch and my wife started snarling when I tried to take more photos.

Offline redox

Re: Ok, I made pizza in a skillet, does that make it pan pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
The picture is upside down. Weird angle, I don't know how to fix that. The re-sized pic is not upside down. Sorry.

On my iPhone the photo is right side up but on my desktop it is upside down. That's odd, right? Or does everyone see their posts like this?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:19:21 AM by redox »

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
It looks really good!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
That's great, Just preheat the skillet before you put the pie in it like Sullivan does with no knead bread.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmUIj9FswU&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmUIj9FswU&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player</a>

Regards
Willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »
Your pizza looks great Jay!
Both your suggestions will help but the foil trick is easiest. Even preheating your stone for a long time might not do much since you are already cooking in that thick skillet. Go for the foil... ;)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
Call it what ever you want. Nobody is going to turn down that great looking pizza. Good Work!!!!

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:58 AM »
hmm skillet pan pizza. Did you let the dough rise for a bit in the skillet?

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
There are some photos in this thread
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23064.0.html
that I and others posted of cast iron baked pizzas. Maybe you can look at the bottom shots for comparison. I followed the recipe and instructions. For me the bottom was pretty good.
Marty

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
hmm skillet pan pizza. Did you let the dough rise for a bit in the skillet?

Yep, I let it rise for 2 hours.

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
Wow! I forgot I had these. Stuck'em in the basement after I found them at an Odd Lots years ago. Always meant to use them, now I will. I've got a second dough ball from my cast iron experiment so since this Domino's pan is 10 inches, it'll be perfect. I hope to get better browning. Those three little "legs" punched into the bottom mean that the pan is slightly elevated from the pizza stone. Anyone ever use this sort of pan?

Offline redox

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
I don't really have the pan glued to the ceiling, the picresize.com site is rotating my shots. If I rotate it on their site so it's oriented properly then it is wrong when posted here. I guess I should just not try to re-orient them so they'll look proper here.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »
Cook it with the stone in the oven and then when the pie is done, take it out of the pan and cook it on the stone for 30 seconds or a minute to brown the bottom.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »
I need some advice from everyone because i want to try the pizza in a cast iron skillet method some time soon. Recently, I saw this cast iron pan at Costco. It looks like it would be great for a pan pizza. However, my concerns are the groves in the bottom of the pan. Please take a look at the photos that I took and let me know your thoughts on this. Would this hurt the pizza, help it, cause the pizza to stick to it????  I have never made a pizza this way before since I always use a pizza screen. Thank you for your thoughts.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
I am guessing that i would have to par-bake the dough then add the sauce, cheese, etc... Since the pan would need to heat up. The pan is quite heavy as it is truly Cast Iron.

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
That's a grill pan. While they are nice for grilling things, I don't think it's the best choice for a "pan pizza". If your dough is soft enough, it will just flow between the grill slats, creating a mis-shapen crust. On the other hand, if it is firm enough to ride on top of the grill, then much of your crust won't be in contact with the pan, which means less than ideal browning.

If pan pizza is your goal, I would look for a traditional flat pan - this one may be more trouble than its worth. Somehow over the years, I've picked up two grill pans - one is a basic Lodge, and the other is a fancy one. To be honest though, if I want to grill, it's best to use an actual grill. If you want to use a pan, a flat one is best. These grill pans are just a compromise that don't do a particularly great job of either grilling or, umm.... "panning".  :-\

Just my 2.

__Jason
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:20:28 AM by GuzziJason »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your comments. i was afraid that would be the case. i was just considering it since it was a good price at $49 for a solid cast iron skillet. I will wait till I find a flat surfaced one.

TomN

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
Hello there, did you use the no knead method that kenji posted a few weeks ago? I made one of those today and it was really good. Although I was also a bit concerned about the top layer of cheese burning.

Offline grathan

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
You could try adding some more oil to the pan, that seems to create browning in my pan.

You could try opening the oven door a little halfway through baking causing the burner to come on below the pan.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »
I need some advice from everyone because i want to try the pizza in a cast iron skillet method some time soon. Recently, I saw this cast iron pan at Costco. It looks like it would be great for a pan pizza. However, my concerns are the groves in the bottom of the pan. Please take a look at the photos that I took and let me know your thoughts on this. Would this hurt the pizza, help it, cause the pizza to stick to it????  I have never made a pizza this way before since I always use a pizza screen. Thank you for your thoughts.

Why not try a 10 or 12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet? You'll need to season it first because their pre-seasoning isn't worth much. They're under $20 from Amazon. Btw, check out: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I used this method on my pans and it's stellar! My wife found flaxseed oil at a local health food store much cheaper than Amazon.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Giggliato,

That is one good looking pie. What is your pizza sauce recipe and what brand of cheese do you use? I always ask to try something new. Thanks.

TomN
PS
Thank you REDOX for the pan idea and the link.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:24:56 AM by TomN »