Author Topic: When should you add the salt ?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
When should you add the salt ?
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »
I am not a newbie but I have seen too many recipes ask you to add salt after the dough has been formed .

Have any of you see these recipes ?

They basically point out that salt slows down the yeast from working.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
Re: When should you add the salt ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »
I've seen this, and used to adhere to it.  The usual result was that I'd forget the salt around 50% of the time.  Now I just whisk it into the flour before I add the yeast.  I've never run into any problems doing it that way, and I never forget.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:06:50 AM »
I stir the salt & sugar (actually honey for me) into the water before I add anything else. Then I pour the rehydrated yeast/water mixture in and immediately start adding the flour and begin to knead. I use olive oil, so I add that a little while after all the flour has been incorporated.

Steve

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
My first contact with the notion of adding the salt later in the dough kneading process came from the bread side of dough making where an autolyse was used, especially a classic autolyse in which only flour and water (and occasionally IDY or a preferment) are used during the autolyse.

Many pizza operators mix the salt in with the water, along with sugar, honey, etc., in most cases. Some simply add the salt to the flour, possibly as part of a pre-mix. So, unless you plan to use a classic autolyse, either of these approaches should work well.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:07:24 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Thanks.