Author Topic: Styvo209 in Indy  (Read 130 times)

Offline Styvo209

Styvo209 in Indy
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:03 AM »
Hi, I'm Steve.

My pizza journey started over 40 yrs ago in Ft. Wayne, IN. There was this great little hole-in-the-wall place called McKinnie Pizza a few blocks from our house. Every 2-3 weeks, my parents would order 3 large, thin pepperoni pizzas (there were 5 of us). I loved going with my Dad to pick them up. The place was tiny as it was carryout only. A double-decker Blodgett gas oven, a make table, mixer and refrigerators. When I was about 10, I pushed my Dad into trying to make our own. We'd buy the Chef Boyardee mixes and go crazy with the toppings. The Chef's canned sauce is still my favorite to this day.

I started at Pizza Hut when I was 17 as a cook. I have put in over 10 years at PH from high school, through college and beyond. I've held every position there except server; prep cook, make table, specials, cut table, delivery driver and manager. I know a lot of people look down on Pizza Hut as mass produced crap, but that's the corporate side. I was lucky enough to work for the same franchise owner in Ft. Wayne, West Lafayette and Fishers. They at least care about what they put on your table.

I've been making my own dough for 20 yrs or so. I do thin and deep dish, plus calzone and an actual pie in a pie pan with a top crust. I now reside in Indianapolis with my wife and two kids. My 13 yr old is starting to take an interest in pizza making, so we'll carry on for at least another generation.

Anyway, wanted to say hello and that I'm looking forward to sharing pizza knowledge with you all.

Steve

pizzapan