Author Topic: Jared from VT  (Read 154 times)

Offline br0keit

Jared from VT
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
Hello All, my name is Jared and I am from the cold state of Vermont. I'm 27 years old. I grew up and lived most of my life in the NY(upstate) area and some time in Central NJ (where all my family lives). I went to college up here and haven't left (don't plan to either).

I got into pizza making more most recently (about a month ago as of this posting) to try something new. I was spoiled growing up in the NY/NJ area so its hard to please me as far as pizza goes. The pizza places up here are pretty terrible, they use bland frozen dough, those conveyor wire pizza ovens, and commercialized toppings. To avoid that I was getting pre-made pizza dough at the local grocer and topping it myself. This was much better than the local pizza joints but still not amazing.

I finally decided to bite the bullet (and use my Christmas gift cards) and got a stand mixer (KitchenAid Artisan). Not an hour after un-boxing I had it making dough (Alton Brown's recipe from food network if anyone cares). That dough was ok but it wasn't amazing. Then I stumbled on this forum and the rest they say is history. I'll share my experiences in their respective sub-forums rather than here but definitely looking to expand and learn many new things about this (very tasty) art of pizza!

My current tool set: Some generic maybe 3/8 in thick pizza stone that never leaves the bottom shelf of my (electric) oven, a 14in wide peel, KitchenAid Artisan 5qt mixer, a closet sized kitchen, a touch of insanity.