Author Topic: wireless ordering for my mobil oven  (Read 529 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
wireless ordering for my mobil oven
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »
  hi we do a lot of wineries and i want to use my waitstaff to handle all of my order taking cash collection and end of the night  order reconciliation. i want it to be able to take a order and sent it wireless to a printer. i have seen some android apps.that may work. i usually do three pizza types, a salad and appetizers. i thought a wireless router from my hand held droid or apple product to the printer.any thoughts.the one app that i am looking at is w&o pos. thanks for any thoughts.another is vendease pos
 i have asked my in house p.o.s company revention for help and the cost would out weight what i am trying to do.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:19:59 PM by thezaman »

scott123

Re: wireless ordering for my mobil oven
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
Larry, hopefully someone here with knowledge of these apps can chime in, but until then, it looks like the w&o pos has a free trial.  I'd download it onto an Android device, and test drive it for a bit to see if the interface works for you.

While the app has a free trial, the printers that it is developed for are not free, and, out of all the features of a mobile device POS, I think the printing aspect is the most questionable.  I don't have an answer of how to test the printing, but I think it would be useful to test everything else.

If I was doing this, I might go with $200 netbooks, because they would probably give me a far greater number of software options, but they wouldn't be as sexy as phones or tablets. They'd be less expensive than phones or tablets, though- especially when you take the usual mandatory yearly ISP service contracts into account. An unlocked non service contract phone would work in your situation, but adds on a considerable amount- $500ish per phone.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:48:43 AM by scott123 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
 thanks scott, i did download the w& o application.it seems perfect for what i want to do. if it had a c/out option for use at street fairs it would be perfect.i am looking at a way to incorporate that now.a asus mini tablet is around 199.00 and the reviews are very good on this product. it may work for the portable end.a router will  need to be configured and set up close to a printer that has a usb port. w&o has a recommended printer and router. the cost of the program is 20 to 30 dollars.per year.router 30.00 and up to???? printer 200.00 and up.so i think i can get in very reasonably , probably under 600.00. which compared to full service pos systems is peanuts .
 i have a local company putting the whole package together for me. the configuring and setup are way above my ability.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
Larry, it looks like the developers are open to suggestions for new features, so you might wish to drop them a line.  If it's a feature that would make your life substantially easier, you might want to think about how much it's worth to you and offer them that as a financial incentive. It's not like you can hire them to do custom work for you ($$$!!!), but something as little as $100 might get you to the top of the suggestion to do list. It all depends on the developer.

I think a big part of the price of a full service pos system is that it's been tested 6 ways to Sunday. It brings rock solid stability. You're dealing with a great deal of new technology here.  The operating system, the software, the tablet, the wireless printing protocol- none of these have a terribly long track record. If you don't want to bother yourself with all the technological details, I fully understand, but I would try to have someone on your staff who might be willing to learn a bit about it in the event that troubleshooting might be necessary.  There's a chance that everything will just work like it's supposed to, but with this much new technology (or technology in general), you never know. They don't have to be technology wizards- just to be able to understand the ins and outs of your system in order to minimize calls to pay support. Once you start spending a lot of time with pay support, any savings between this and and a full service system might evaporate.

You're a little off the beaten path here.  You need a support system- and not just pay support.  Whatever you, your staff, your family or friends can learn about this system, the better off you'll be. Sometimes it takes a village to keep technology running without spending a fortune :) Android devices are a bit out of my comfort zone, but troubleshooting tech issues is my background, so if you need me, you've got my number.

Beyond making sure you have troubleshooting resources available to you, you might want to build a little redundancy into the system on the hardware side by having an extra tablet and possibly an extra router around as well and making sure both are configured.  Thermal printers are old technology, but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra printer on hand either.

Lastly, I just took a look at the asus tablets and can't really tell if they force you into buying service contracts from ISPs.  If they do, that $200 price tag isn't representative of the true price. Unless you want to use this tablet for emails and/or other online activities, you only need wifi for your needs, so you shouldn't need to pay hundreds of dollars a year to an ISP.  Make sure there's no mandatory service contract with this tablet.