Author Topic: Cold fermenting in refridgerator with sourdough  (Read 4110 times)

Offline R2-Bayou

Re: Cold fermenting in refridgerator with sourdough
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
I had something come up right before I was about to bake this weekend, so I had to put everything on hold until later.

64% hydration, 3% active starter. 20 hr bulk room temp fermentation (~72). Balled about 3 hours RT then put the whole flat into the fridge until I could come back to bake about 5 hours later. Normally, these dough balls would have been completely blown out and over fermented by the time I got to them if I left them at RT. The fridge slowed them down perfectly, the balls didn't merge together in the dough tray. I let them warm up for about a half hour at 70 while my LBE warmed up. When I stretched them, they were still a little cold and tricky to open up. Not a deal breaker, but took some getting used to on the first couple. After shaping they had the tell tale signs of little dough air bubbles all over the skins. These were some of the best tasting and best oven spring pies I've made in a while. I was skeptical of the fridge retarding, but it worked great. Granted, it was a short-ish retarding, but it worked great and extended my service window. No pics as I was baking in the middle of the night, but they were great.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the update!

I've since stopped using Ischia for my NY pies, but I think I recall going 2 weeks in the fridge with still very good results. The only issue at 2 weeks was poor dough strength, which just meant I had to be much more careful when opening a skin.

Does this produce an optimal pie? Probably not. But if your schedule changes, no need to toss the dough (pun intended)

I had something come up right before I was about to bake this weekend, so I had to put everything on hold until later.

64% hydration, 3% active starter. 20 hr bulk room temp fermentation (~72). Balled about 3 hours RT then put the whole flat into the fridge until I could come back to bake about 5 hours later. Normally, these dough balls would have been completely blown out and over fermented by the time I got to them if I left them at RT. The fridge slowed them down perfectly, the balls didn't merge together in the dough tray. I let them warm up for about a half hour at 70 while my LBE warmed up. When I stretched them, they were still a little cold and tricky to open up. Not a deal breaker, but took some getting used to on the first couple. After shaping they had the tell tale signs of little dough air bubbles all over the skins. These were some of the best tasting and best oven spring pies I've made in a while. I was skeptical of the fridge retarding, but it worked great. Granted, it was a short-ish retarding, but it worked great and extended my service window. No pics as I was baking in the middle of the night, but they were great.
Josh

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the update!

I've since stopped using Ischia for my NY pies, but I think I recall going 2 weeks in the fridge with still very good results. The only issue at 2 weeks was poor dough strength, which just meant I had to be much more careful when opening a skin.

Does this produce an optimal pie? Probably not. But if your schedule changes, no need to toss the dough (pun intended)

JD,

What is your protocol now for your new york pies if you're no longer using ischia?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
JD,

What is your protocol now for your new york pies if you're no longer using ischia?

I use 0.5 teaspoon ADY per 700grams final doughball weight. I don't have a scale that accurately measures that low, but I haven't had any issues with using volume.

Mix using this method which I am very happy with: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24265.msg252106.html#msg252106

Cold ferment in fridge 2-3 days, simple punch down every 24 hours or as needed, and a tight reball 24 hours before bake. 3 day fridge ferment is my preferred timeframe, but 2 is good, 1 is a bit early.

As far as bake times & temps, I'm probably the only one here happy with a lower temp bake using steel: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23608.msg239730.html#msg239730

This past weekend I made a simple NY cheese pie (amongst 6 others), and my guests claimed it was way better than anything local. Of course, they're not from NY so they are probably not the best judges. I am from NY though, and I couldn't be happier with my efforts after a few years of experimenting.

Josh