Author Topic: Possible to revive a years old starter?  (Read 560 times)

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Possible to revive a years old starter?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
I've got a starter that I caught about three years ago.  Its probably been 1.5 years or more since I had it activated and feeding well.  Is it long dead or is there any chance of revival at this point?

It has dried up bits on the side of the container.  There's plenty of dark, dark hooch built up, but no mold that I see.

Thanks,

DenaliPete

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Possible to revive a years old starter?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
Go for it Pete....you got nothing to loose.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
Yep, go for it.  I was given a jar of starter that was in the back of a neighbor's fridge for a year.  It had black stuff inside all around the top.  It smelled totally gross.

I fed it, if I remember correctly, about twice a day.  For several days, although it did not smell as bad, it did nothing.  A few bubbles at best, no rise.  Suddenly, around day 4 or 5, it started growing!  After another feeding or so, it doubled and it started smelling fresh.  I am still using it now every week, etc.

You need to be patient.  And, it is just flour and water and a few minutes of your time.  No big deal if you get a fail.

- Mitch

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Yep, go for it.  I was given a jar of starter that was in the back of a neighbor's fridge for a year.  It had black stuff inside all around the top.  It smelled totally gross.

I fed it, if I remember correctly, about twice a day.  For several days, although it did not smell as bad, it did nothing.  A few bubbles at best, no rise.  Suddenly, around day 4 or 5, it started growing!  After another feeding or so, it doubled and it started smelling fresh.  I am still using it now every week, etc.

You need to be patient.  And, it is just flour and water and a few minutes of your time.  No big deal if you get a fail.

- Mitch
Science class revisited... :)   Pizza making is fun.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"