Author Topic: Dough Prep Question  (Read 783 times)

Offline Re4otiare

Dough Prep Question
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
If I don't have a stand mixer, how would I generally modify prep of most dough recipes featured on this site? I'm really eyeing that pizza hut recipe.....

I typically:

1. heat up my water just enough
2. put water in bowl with some oil
3. mix in yeast and let proof for a little bit
4. dump in flour and addt'l seasonings/spices
5. mix until a ball of decent composition forms
6. dump ball out and knead for about 5-6 mins
7. roll ball in oil and let dough rise for about an hour
8. cook dough for about 12 mins on pizza pan
9. add toppings and cook 8-10 mins more

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Dough Prep Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
That seems like a decent work flow method for what your are trying to achieve. The next step is really just tweaking each step to make a better pizza-  I don't think any of your steps are out of order. You will find most members aren't trying to replicate pizza hut nor are they only allowing 1 hour for a rise.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »
I would skip #8 and just add more time to #9.
I rarely use a mixer anymore. For a single ball dough it's not worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:34:58 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
I think the Pizza Hut pan dough needs to proof (rise) in the pan too before topping and baking.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
If I don't have a stand mixer, how would I generally modify prep of most dough recipes featured on this site? I'm really eyeing that pizza hut recipe.....

There are some types of dough where a mixer of some sort (stand mixer, food processor or bread maker) is generally needed. Examples include doughs with extremely high hydration values (say, 70% and above), such as Sicilian style doughs, and doughs with extremely low hydration values (say, 35-45%), such as cracker style doughs. Most pizza styles fall between the above ranges, including the NY style, the American style, Thick style and the Neapolitan style, all of which can be kneaded by hand. The Chicago style typically has a fairly low hydration value but usually has a large amount of oil or other fat that can have a "wetting" effect on the dough. That helps facilitate hand kneading.

If you have a food processor, you should be able to use it to make the NY, American, Chicago, Thick, Neapolitan and Cracker styles. It doesn't do nearly as well with very high hydration doughs because the machine can gum up trying to knead the dough. A bread maker should work for many of the above styles but I have only used mine for the NY and American styles. I am not sure how well it will work for doughs with very high or very low hydration values.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
My sister in Houston uses her bread machine for the Chi-town dough recipe I gave her and she says it works great.
I am able to make a small(9oz)batch right on the counter...45% hydration. Just takes a 'lil elbow grease.  ;)
Bob

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
We have made the PH type of deep-dish pizzas many times and we have found that with our dough formulation, using a dough temperature of about 55F (our dough was cold fermented for 24-hours, then removed from the cooler and allowed to temper at room temperature for 2.5-hours before being rolled and panned) requires a final proof time of 70-minutes for optimum results. Our old PH pans even have a line stamped into the side of the pan indicating the height the dough should be allowed to proof to before dressing and baking. Keep in mind that proof times will vary with dough absorption, dough temperature, and yeast level so some experimenting will be needed to find the proof time that works best with your dough formulation and procedure.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
What will you take for one of those "cheater" pans Tom?   j/k  ;D
Great info as always...thanks.
Bob