Author Topic: Premium ingredient trading  (Read 5725 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Premium ingredient trading
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
Norma,

The restriction imposed by SI applies to reproducing the cultures for purposes of resale. I assume that you are not charging the people to whom you have been sending dried forms of the Ischia culture. If not, you should be OK. Ed Wood knows full well that purchasers of his cultures for personal, home use are going to share them with others.

Peter

Peter,

No, I never charged any member for the dried out Ischia starter.  I don't even know though if I will send any more dried out starters.  Just thinking about it makes me wonder.  :-\

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
If I was going to start a buisness, I wouldn't care how negatively I effefected the other businesses I would be competing.

Even if your actions were unethical?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tdavis

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
Strictly business wise, if it was legal, then yes even if it was unethical as long as it was legal. With regards to buisness, I'm trying to make money not freinds. I would also expect my oppenets to try and do the same to me. Outside of buisness or my livelihood, I defintly would not do anything unethical.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39:47 AM »
Strictly business wise, if it was legal, then yes even if it was unethical as long as it was legal. With regards to buisness, I'm trying to make money not freinds. I would also expect my oppenets to try and do the same to me. Outside of buisness or my livelihood, I defintly would not do anything unethical.

This post makes me sad.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
Me too.  I'm talking about giving/trading among friends, not doing business.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »
Strictly business wise, if it was legal, then yes even if it was unethical as long as it was legal. With regards to buisness, I'm trying to make money not freinds. I would also expect my oppenets to try and do the same to me.

It's sad you think that is how business should be done. I see you're only 25. Hopefully as you get older and spend some time in business you'll learn and appreciate why this is wrong even if your competitors are unethical.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »

Your reputation has far more value than you realize. Some people have to learn this the hard way.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Do good morals = good ethics?
Do bad morals = bad ethics?

Which is more important, or are they not mutually exclusive? ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
To me, Morals=personal, ethics=business.  They are equivalent terms for different spheres of behavior.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
Surprised this has not been mentioned yet,  sourdough starters should be free or at least nearly free.  I do understand why Marco gave these to ed wood,  probably so he could get them back if he ever needed to,  but lets face it selling a 1/2 ounce of flour for 20 bucks....  I used this oregon trail starter for a long time it is excellent for bread and pretty solid for pizza too.

http://carlsfriends.net/aboutcarl.html

-marc

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
sourdough starters should be free or at least nearly free.... lets face it selling a 1/2 ounce of flour for 20 bucks.... 

The raw material cost has no relevence.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Ok, I have found some studies on the populations and changes in sourdough cultures and they are remarkably stable under certain conditions.  The primary factor influencing the stability of the ratio of the yeast and bacteria is the environment.  Keep it close to the original and it is self-policing re: local wild organisms.  Since the culture is pretty much conducted under the same conditions everywhere this is not usually an issue.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
To me, Morals=personal, ethics=business.  They are equivalent terms for different spheres of behavior.

I think the distinction is a little more fundamental. In the simplest terms, morality is about principles that guide good choices. Ethics is about reasoning that guide good choices.

There is a philosophical puzzle that asks if you would divert a train with failing brakes that would otherwise kill 5 people stuck on the track to a different track knowing that doing so would only kill one person who happened to be on the other track? Most people would. However, what if there was no alternate track but you could stop the train from hitting the 5 people by using your car to push the car (and the driver) in front of you into the path of the train knowing that man would certainly die but the five would live. Would you do that? If not, why? Aren't both the same - sacrificing one to save five? What if the guy in the car ahead of you was your brother? What if you knew he was a single father with 7 kids? What if you knew the guy in the car in front of you was a terrorist responsible for sabotaging the brakes on the train that was about to kill the five people?

If you only have morals to work with, you would have to apply them consistently. You must always sacrifice one to save five. Period. It is ethics that allows you to make reasoned choices, to override your moral principles when the situation demands.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »

There is a philosophical puzzle that asks if you would divert a train with failing brakes that would otherwise kill 5 people stuck on the track to a different track knowing that doing so would only kill one person who happened to be on the other track? Most people would.

Check out this great podcast:

http://www.radiolab.org/2007/aug/13/

scott123

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »

Synonyms for unethical:
Definition:    dishonest, immoral
Synonyms:    cheating, corrupt, crooked, dirty*, dirty-dealing, dishonorable, disreputable, double-crossing, fake, fishy, flimflam, fly-by-night, illegal, improper, mercenary, scam*, shady*, sharp*, slick*, slippery*, sneaky*, two-faced, two-timing, underhand, unfair, unprincipled, unprofessional, unscrupulous, wrong

Antonyms for ethical:
bad, black, dishonest, dishonorable, evil, evil-minded, immoral, indecent, sinful, unethical, unrighteous, wicked, wrong

'Unethical' has a dispassionate clinical ring to it that could make one assume it isn't all that pejorative, but in actuality, if you're being unethical, you're treating someone else improperly. I think it's important to understand the true meaning of the word and not hide behind it's least pejorative synonym.  I'm not saying you're doing this, I just want to make sure that you're aware that being unethical is the same thing as being immoral, being dishonorable, being indecent. You may very well be saying, I'm going to cheat my competitors, because I expect them to cheat me. If that's the case, then we're on the same page in regards to the meaning of the word 'unethical,' but let's call a spade a spade, and not play any word connotation games.

Governments attempt to take the common morality of a society and codify it into laws, and, most of the time they succeed, but not all the time.  You can be a truly rotten person and yet still be law abiding. Look at the subprime lenders who's actions contributed to the 2008 financial crisis.  They did nothing illegal, but their immoral actions plunged America into one of our worst economic times ever.  People starved to death because of their lack of ethics. By only abiding by the law, you can still do a tremendous amount of damage to your fellow man.

Jesus said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." He didn't say "Do unto everyone but your business competitors" :) Every major world religion has some form of the golden rule.  Even if you're an atheist, there's still valid reasons to be honorable in your dealings with your competitors.  First, we live in the information age. Even if you don't believe that a higher power is watching you, you had better believe that other people are.  Secrets don't stay secrets for long.  Bill alluded to how important your reputation is.  If your customers, your superiors, your trade partners or your vendors catch wind of your dishonorable actions, it will hurt your bottom line. Second, God or no God, we all have an innate desire to be good people. We all judge ourselves. When we're not honest, when we cheat to achieve our goals, it's damaging to our self esteem. Study after study has proven that people are happier when they're giving to others.  Legally stealing from others, even our competitors, has the opposite effect.

No-one is telling you not to be competitive or to be weak. Ethics are part of our strength.  They create the playing field that allows us to be greater, to rise higher. Evolutionary biology reveals the older reptilian part of our brain that has no morals, that's incapable of trust, that only acts through self preservation, but biology also reveals the newer mammalian section of our brain- a section that understands the life enriching aspects of morality, of shared goals, of being nurturing, of having empathy. If you watch any reality TV, you're fully aware of how frequently people turn to the reptilian section of their brain to make decisions, but, at the same time, with each new generation, we are shedding more and more of our reptilian skin.

No one here is pointing a finger at you.  I think we all struggle with ethical decisions, and, at some point, we all have acted dishonorably. Members have expressed sadness with your post because they perceive your dog eat dog outlook as leading to a less fulfilling, less happy life- and we all want you to be happy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:48:10 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
Scott, pretty well said. At the beginning however, it sounds like you're saying it is OK to be unethical with someone who is unethical towards you to which I would strongly disagree.

Matthew 7:12 really says all that needs to be said.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
Scott, pretty well said. At the beginning however, it sounds like you're saying it is OK to be unethical with someone who is unethical towards you to which I would strongly disagree.

I could have conveyed myself better, but the first section relates strictly to the meaning of the word 'unethical' and making sure that Trevor and I are on the same page in relation to how he's using it, not that I agree with him. I'm attempting to confront the potential misconception that unethical isn't as bad as immoral or dishonorable- or any of the other synonyms.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:55:41 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
I could have conveyed myself better, but the first section relates strictly to the meaning of the word 'unethical' and making sure that Trevor and I are on the same page in relation to how he's using it, not that I agree with him.

Got it. In that case, very well said.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
This seems no different than using or distributing copyrighted material without paying the owner of the copyright.

Easy to do, easy to rationalize, but still results in the theft of  something that does not belong to you.

Perry
2:7 (13)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:49:57 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline Tdavis

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
I personaly feel its different then copyrighted material because its a living organism. To me its like selling someone 2 dogs and then telling them that they can't sell the puppies those 2 dogs have. Maybe I shouldn't have used unethical and I was too genral. In the context of this tread I don't think buying Eds culture and reselling it is unethical, as long as its legal. To me unethical is what Bernie Maidoff did, or if Joe Pa knew what Sandusky was doing and turned the other cheek. I look at buisness like a sport, I'm going to do whatever I need to do to win within the rules no matter how it affects my opponents. At the same time, I'm going to do everything I can for my team mates. Also, i have never, and probally will never, work for/ run a coperation or anything like that. If i did, thats how i would approach it. Please don't be sad over what one persons hypathetical corporate buisness ideas on how to conduct buisness are. Save the sarrow for all the tragic things that happen in real life everyday. We can make, or learn how to make, any type of pizza we want to today, share it with our loved ones, have sex and drink beer. Life is good.

pizzapan