Author Topic: Fleishmann's Pizza Yeast  (Read 1012 times)

Offline tombiasi

Fleishmann's Pizza Yeast
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
Anyone use or have any info on this yeast?

Offline Skee

Re: Fleishmann's Pizza Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
It's just IDY, or at least it functions exactly like IDY when I sub it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
It also has a little bit of dough conditioner to (maybe) make the ball a little easier to open. I don't think many people here have tried it. If you do any side-by-side tests, I'm sure people would be interested in the results.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
It also has a little bit of dough conditioner to (maybe) make the ball a little easier to open. I don't think many people here have tried it. If you do any side-by-side tests, I'm sure people would be interested in the results.

Craig

I will be making a pizza tonight. Unfortunately I have also substituted my normal KABF for Better for Bread flour.
I may be able to tell qualities yeast related but since it's not my normal flour it wouldn't be a good test.

Tom

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with "pizza Yeast" but I am very familiar with IDY. Most forms of IDY contain some ascorbic acid to counter the softening effect of the glutathione present in all forms of dried yeast (less in IDY than any of the other forms), but there is also one, I want to say it is SAF Green Label IDY that does not contain the ascorbic acid, so it will exhibit a slight softening effect upon the dough, possibly making it a little easier to open into a pizza skin.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Skee

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
It's this: http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

I'll use it when the store is out of the big jar of the regular IDY (three packets for $1) and can't tell a difference but haven't tried them head-to-head.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
The Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast has been discussed on the forum on several prior occasions although it is not a yeast that many of our members use. For some further discussion, see Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13446.msg133498/topicseen.html#msg133498.

Peter

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
It's this: http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

I'll use it when the store is out of the big jar of the regular IDY (three packets for $1) and can't tell a difference but haven't tried them head-to-head.

Yes,
I made the pizza tonight the way I usually do except I used BFB instead if KABF and I used Fleishmann's Pizza Yeast.
I found too much air in the dough. I had to re-knead and rest ( I know, frowned on here but too much gas.)
The pizza taste was very good but handling was not ideal. I usually just use a whole packet of yeast even for a 20 ounce ball. Maybe I need to cut back on this yeast?
Recipe:
One 16 inch NY style (20 ounce ball)

Dough

Ingredients: (1, 16 inch pie 20 oz. ball)
•   2 cups BFB                                                11.89 oz.                        100%
•   1 cup warm water (100 F.)                               7.8 oz.                        65.6%
•   Fleishmann’s pizza yeast                          (1 package =.25 oz.)             2.1 %
•   3/4 teaspoon sea salt                                  0.13 oz.                         1.07%
•   3/4 teaspoon olive oil                                   0.12 oz.                         1.01%                                             

Put water at 100 F. and salt into mixer bowl.
Add flour and yeast, mix with paddle on number 2. (KA Mixer) for 3 minutes.
Add oil and mix with paddle on number 2 until oil is incorporated.
Mix with dough hook for another 7 minutes on number 3.
Let rest for 5 minutes and hand knead to a smooth ball and seal bottom.
Place in pizza tin lubed with oil and cover.
Place immediately in fridge for 1 or 2 days.
Take out2 hours before use and place on peel.
Cover with damp cloth.

Offline Skee

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
That's at least 5x the amount of yeast you need for a multi-day, cold ferment.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »
That's at least 5x the amount of yeast you need for a multi-day, cold ferment.

I know. I have never had a problem before and like the yeast flavor and don't like having open packs.
In this batch I should have cut the yeast way back. I have formulated another dough using BFB and Fleichmann's PCY.
I probably won't get to it for a week or so.

pizzapan