Author Topic: Pizza in an hour  (Read 1327 times)

Offline redox

Pizza in an hour
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »
This is a recipe I found on recipezaar.com (now food.com) some time ago.
One commenter wrote: ''My grandparents owned a pizza restaurant for 20 yrs. It was extremely successful in our little neck of the woods in Arkansas. They used this exact recipe (scaled up of course lol) for their pizzas!! Its such a simple yet Fabulous crust great for thin crusts as well as thick if you let it raise for just a few minutes. I've done this as a stuff crust, thin crust and thick crust pizza and it always turns out great.''

Using this you can have your pizza ready in under an hour.

Beth's Pizza Dough Recipe #13546
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: gwenrk (recipezaar.com
Yield: 16-in crust

Summary:

This is an excellent crust that requires no time to rise. Why order out when you can just throw this pizza together?

Ingredients:

1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups flour, King Arthur All-Purpose Flour weighs 4.25 oz per Cup. (10.6 oz for 2 1/2 cups)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pizza herbs (opt.)

Directions:

1. Combine yeast and warm water.
Stir until dissolved.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Let rest 5 minutes.
Roll out to size and shape you need.
Dock the dough.
(I have used this same size recipe in jelly roll pans and on round baking stones.) Bake at 450 F.

2. Bake the pizza on the lower oven rack till it looks and feels set on top, and is just beginning to brown around the edge of the crust, but is still pale on top. This will take about 8 minutes for thinner crust pizza; about 10 to 12 minutes for medium thickness; and 12 to 14 minutes for thick-crust pizza. If you're baking two pizzas, reverse them in the oven (top to bottom, bottom to top) midway through the baking period.

To serve pizza immediately: Remove it from the oven, and arrange your toppings of choice on top. Return to the oven, and bake on the upper oven rack for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is nicely browned, both top and bottom, and the cheese is melted. Check it midway through, and move it to the bottom rack if the top is browning too much, or the bottom not enough.

Notes:

A couple tips: Sometimes I omit the sugar.
Instead, I add several good shakes of Italian seasoning mix (just dried herbs)
***END***

Step #2 is not part of the original recipe, the modifications are Cooks Illustrated based that work very well in my electric oven. I bake this using a 16-inch pan.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza in an hour
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »
I made a couple of pizzas a number of years ago using a similar formula. It went from concept (LET'S MAKE PIZZA) to a finished product (PIZZA) in well under an hour, if I remember correctly we had those pizzas on the serving table in something like 38-minutes (included scaling, mixing, rest period, if you want to call it that, forming, dressing and baking). OK, it was pizza, but don't ask me about the flavor of the crust. Thank goodness the sauce, cheese and toppings had, and provided, some flavor.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
There are many purpose built recipes in the "emergency" thread here in the General section. They were designed to give the biggest bang for the buck(time).
Beth seems to have gone to a lot of trouble with her nice write up but it leaves one with a very(imo)questionable baking procedure. I don't believe in "magic" all purpose dough and hope that this forum's recipes are able to give users a much clearer idea on how to reach their goals.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »
Well sometimes, if your standards are low enough, or hungry enough, a pizza simulacrum may fit the bill. Some people claim that there is no such thing as bad sex, or bad pizza. Both statements, I believe, are made by people who don't get enough of either.   ;)

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
Some people claim that there is no such thing as bad sex, or bad pizza. Both statements, I believe, are made by people who don't get enough of either.   ;)

I would hate to have enough of bad pizza.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
And I would hate to have enough of bad sex. Had I been thinking more clearly I would've written: ''Both statements, I believe, are made by people who don't get enough sex or pizza.''
I think I was near the bottom of my after dinner bourbon when I wrote that. Although I've done much worse while cold sober.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »
And I would hate to have enough of bad sex. Had I been thinking more clearly I would've written: ''Both statements, I believe, are made by people who don't get enough sex or pizza.''
I think I was near the bottom of my after dinner bourbon when I wrote that. Although I've done much worse while cold sober.
Quit grippin' man...an jus get things right in the future.  :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Quit grippin' man...an jus get things right in the future.  :-D

There was little bon in my mot, that's for sure.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
There was little bon in my mot, that's for sure.
I'm sure you've seen some of my gems...that after dinner bourbon will get ya every time. ;D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:13:18 AM »
I appreciate anyone that takes the time to write out in detail, their ideas of what they think is a good pizza recipe. So, THANK YOU redox for taking the time to share on this forum.  i am sure that pizza will do in a pinch. My concern would be flavor development of the dough. Of course there is no time for that here and it is pizza in an hour.

My Emergency Pizza Dough Recipe is this:

I keep track of Pizzerias that are within easy driving distance, that make really good pizza dough. I just stop by and ask to purchase a few dough balls. Most places will sell them to you, no problem.  Perhaps, not everyone has that luxury as I do.  Again, I appreciate the posting.

TomN
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:05:10 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
I think it is worth reading this tread as well: Tom Lehmann has some really good things to say.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23393.0.html