Author Topic: Buying vs Making Mozzarella; Cost and Time implications  (Read 10572 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Buying vs Making Mozzarella; Cost and Time implications
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
You hit on another issue that was of concern to me. I've had similar products made with raw milk and pasturized milk, and I've almost universally preferred raw. What I gather from your post, there are suppliers that produce curd from raw milk?

Edit: Just some food for thought. I vaguely remember reading of one maker of fresh mozzarella adding fresh cream to the curds. Thoughts or theories on how this would effect the finished product, if any?

One of the biggest reasons I stopped making mozz curd from scratch is because using pasteurized milk yielded results far below the taste and fat level of mozz procured from Calabro, a company here in NE that makes fresh mozz. I could find raw milk, but the cows were Jersey and the fat content and color were the wrong type for making mozz. It was straw colored.

Larry - thanks for the insight. I am going to see if I can source grande curd and see what the cost difference is.

John
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:11:30 PM by hotsawce »

Offline TheDude

• Ammazza Pizza
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
I pull mozz fresh everyday in the restaurant.

In terms of cost/time...

I buy curd for 2.80 - 2.90 a pound and can produce around 20 - 25 pounds an hour.  If I were to buy from a local cheese maker it would cost me 4.65 - 4.80 a pound.

If your starting with curd, the process is not that complex.  If you are thinking of actually making it from scratch....even assuming that you have access to a quality milk base...you are introducing a lot of complexity into the pizzeria.  As an example...just research and think on yield....how much milk you will need on hand...how much space that is going to take up in the cooler...how big of a braiser your gonna need to cook it down....it's big numbers.

For us it's worth it to pull fresh daily.  It saves a little money and gives us a selling point. 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
I pull mozz fresh everyday in the restaurant.

In terms of cost/time...

I buy curd for 2.80 - 2.90 a pound and can produce around 20 - 25 pounds an hour.  If I were to buy from a local cheese maker it would cost me 4.65 - 4.80 a pound.

If your starting with curd, the process is not that complex.  If you are thinking of actually making it from scratch....even assuming that you have access to a quality milk base...you are introducing a lot of complexity into the pizzeria.  As an example...just research and think on yield....how much milk you will need on hand...how much space that is going to take up in the cooler...how big of a braiser your gonna need to cook it down....it's big numbers.

For us it's worth it to pull fresh daily.  It saves a little money and gives us a selling point. 

Thanks for the input! If I did fresh mozzarella, I'd likely use a high quality curd.

pizzapan