Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Pizzaholic

Greetings
« on: February 09, 2004, 03:38:52 PM »
This is long, but I enjoy the site.
Greetings to all Pizza Lovers out there,
I just recently found your forum and have taken a boatload of great information from it.
Now I though that I might be able to contribute!
I must say that it has been an enthusiastic site and has re-ignited my desire to make homemade pizza.

BOOKS:
I bought a book about 9 years ago when I was living in southern Louisiana called Pizza, author is James McNair, Chonical Books.  A friend had a copy and I thought that it looked good.
They take their cooking VERY seriously there and that is how I got interested in all sorts of cooking(esp cajun and creole).
The pizza recipes are both traditional and other very good, eclectic, shall we say, pies. I have made a good number of the recipes in this book, but have always been disappointed in the doughs I made at home.

DOUGH
In desperation, I have at one point gone to a local pizza place and bought their frozen dough balls, and had great success with that method. That was cheap and fast and cheating. Until now. This site changed that!!
This is my only pizza book besides some other recipes in other cookbooks. I have had good luck with it(Pizza), and their are three different dough recipes in it. The New York recipe is exactly like this sites.
However, I learned that you must AGE your dough overnight. This has helped with the taste, texture of the dough emensly.  
I also have learned a great amount on HI Gluton Flour from this site, again thank you.
I bought the King Arhor Bread flour and added Bobs Red Mill Gluton to it. That has helped a bunch with my goal of getting the yeasty bubbly, crunchy, chewy crust.  The wife likes my latest attempt at the dough.
Last Friday, I went to a local bakery and asked for 5 pounds of the high glutton flour. To my supprise they would do it. Got it for $3.00. I saw the bag it came from and it said in huge letters, HIGH GLUTTON. The company was Bakersmark or something like that.
My contact at the local bakery said that they used to make pizza dough for local pizzarias and they used a different type of flour. The pie I made yesterday turned out excellent with the latest flour. I made the same pie with the KA bread flour on Friday and it turned out great too.
I just ordered my first batch (10#)of Sir Lancalot and am awaiting its arrival.
On a side note, I got frustrated with my doughs tasting too much like bread, so I stopped playing with making pizzas a long time back. Until I found this site. Thank you. Back in business now!

BACKGROUND
I was born and raised in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, and Pizza is HUGE there. Little Ceasars and Dominos are both headquartered there and both owners of the chains has at one time or another owned the Detroit Tigers. Little Ceasars owner still owns the Detroit Red Wings AND the Detroit Tigers, which he bought from the owner of Dominos. I still remember when they started serving pizza at games.  The owner of Dominos has divesified his world headquarters in Ann Arbor Michigan and actually has a prestigious law school running at it. A sister-in-laws brother used to own a Dominos and told me once that it costs about .19 cents to make a pizza. Can you imagine the pofits.
Buddys, Shakeys pizza, and Mama Mias and Carlas Pizza(calzone) are all held fondly in my heart, and a bunch of other mom and pop places too. I am in norhtwest Florida now and good pizza is nowhere to be found. The wife just told me that she will never order out for pizza again if I keep going at my current rate of improvement!
Thanks for the Pizza hut recipe too! Gonna try that one sometime soon too.

EQUIPMENT
I do have a deep dish pan that I bought in Michigan at a place called DeLeon or Leon. It is a Hillware pan about 15" and is exactly what PizzaHut uses. I love it. Heavy non stick easy care pan. I might be able to get more contact information at a later time.
I use a stone and just 2 weeks ago, got a peel, inspired by this site, Thank you again. Easy to use and tips about using cornmeal and semolina flour together has helped. Still working up the guts to vaccuum out the oven, but have improved enough to not make a mess.

SIDES
I have a brother who is a chef and he has given me numerous dough recipes among others, and am anxiously waiting to re-try his recipes with the proper flour. He did give me Julia Childs recipe for dough at one time.  
I dont see much talk about using pesto instead of tomato paste, I first had this at Everybodys Pizza in Atlanta and love it. I make my own pesto and have grown my own ingredients. Turned out awsome, I highly recommend trying a pesto pizza. I have had Chicogo Deep Dish and Love them too. I forget where I was but it was in Highland Park Ill. Great.

I think this is long enough for now,
Great site and will continue to monitor the news and activity.
Pizzaholic

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Greetings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:19:25 PM »
19 cents.  You have already got us thinking.
Always good to have new people.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:45:49 PM »
Welcome to the site... thanks for the thorough introduction!  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:18:40 PM »
Welcome.

Enjoyed you introduction.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 05:25:27 PM »
yes, greetings from a former New Yorker now in Hamburg, Germany..

Nice introduction...

Pierre

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 06:01:31 PM »
Greetings.  I'm also a former New Yorker, now living in Asia.  I train people how to make pizza for a living.

Are you working for one of the major chains? or do you freelance and do seminars?

Pierre

pizzapan