Author Topic: Has anyone ever been to Pizzeria Mozza's class? If so, please advise!!  (Read 1832 times)

Offline cglee

Hi All,

I am new to this board and to pizza making in general.  I absolutely adore Pizzeria Mozza's pizza and I am inspired to try to make my own pie.  I have done a little research and it seems that they use Conagra's "Mello Judith" for their flour and may have even used it in their class demos?  I went as far as to call our Restaurant Depot here in VA but they do not carry Conagra.  Has anyone been to Mozza's pizza making class and if so what do they suggest to use for the flour for those who don't have access to Mello Judith?  King Arthur All Purpose?  King Arthur Bread Flour?  I know that the recipe suggests bread flour but King Arthur Bread Flour's protein content is higher than Mello Judith.  Oh and it would be wrong to use Caputo 00 for this recipe, correct?  Since the dough has a very high hydration %? 

I'm also aware that there is a new and improved version of Mozza's dough recipe on this forum.  I will definitely get around to trying that recipe, but I wanted to try the original recipe first. 

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!!

Caroline

Offline adletson

Re: Has anyone ever been to Pizzeria Mozza's class? If so, please advise!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
I'm in no way qualified to answer your question, but one thing I would go ahead and suggest is to do as thorough a write up as you can of the taste, texture, appearance, etc. of the pizza in question so the gurus here can have a better idea of how to help.  Please it gives us all the chance to hear about pizza we may have never tried!

Offline cglee

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
Here is a link to someone who has successfully made the recipe.  Wish I knew what flour she used!  I'm OCD like that....but given that I have zero pizza skills, it probably won't matter too much at this point whether I use KA All Purpose or KA Bread Flour.

http://www.foodgal.com/2011/09/pure-pizza-dough-heaven-the-recipe-from-pizzeria-mozza/

Here's a description by Ed Levine of Serious Eats saying Mozza's might be the greatest pizza in the world...possibly even better than Pizza Bianca's in Phoenix.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/01/the-greatest-pizza-in-the-worl.html

Pics of Mozza's pizza

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/pizzeria-mozza-pizza-los-angeles-ca-la-review.html

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
I have not taken the class, but there was a women who did this a while back for her teenage son and she was all PO-ed posting negative things about Mozza a while back.  Apparently, she read some third hand write up from some paper and thought the class was total hands on.  She booked it for 10 kids without even checking Mozza's website which said it was demo only. 

Of course, I would have love a 3 hour demo with all the details but she want entertainment for her kids so she said it was boring lecture, which I doubt.  She really needed to take those kids to Chuck-e Cheese or Magic Mountain not Mozza.  She didn't do her research and then bitched it was not her fault.  Im sorry but 1,000 for a birthday part for kids?    A normal person would have asked a few question. 

Anyway, it sounds like a good class if you are really into making real pizza.  Anyone here I am sure would enjoy it.

Take notes and pics if you go!   Then post here!  LOL

Offline cglee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Yes, I will definitely post the pics here if I ever take the class : )....

BTW, I meant Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix in my previous post, not Pizza Bianca!!  I'm trying to making pizza bianca as well...too much pizza on the brain.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
"Bread flour" is listed in the class handout. No particular brand of flour is mentioned.

It should be noted that the dough recipe given in the class is NOT the one used in the restaurant. The class recipe is really an emergency dough with wheat germ and rye flour added. The class was useful to me in terms of watching dough handling, but that was about it.  It was really a $150 pizza tasting date for most of the "students".  Only one pizza was made with the "classroom" dough recipe in a regular oven on a stone.  The rest of the pizzas that night came from the wood-fired oven using their real dough.

Here's the class recipe, expressed in baker's percents.  The recipe in the class made six 7 oz dough balls.

Pizzeria Mozza Class Nancy's Pizza Dough

Flour (100%):    
Water (84%):    
IDY (0.57%):    
Salt (1.92%):    
Honey (0.96%):    
Wheat Germ (.96%):    
Rye Flour (1.92%):    
Total (190.33%):   TF = 0.8

Put warm tap water  water in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the yeast and let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve.

Add the bread flour, rye flour, wheat germ, and honey and mix on low speed with a dough hook for 2 minutes.

Add the salt, increase the speed to high (6), and mix the dough for 6 to 7 minutes, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. (Note-the dough w ill not come so far away from the sides of the bowl that the bowl is clean.)

While the dough is mixing, lightly grease a large bowl (one large enough to hold the dough when it doubles in size) with olive oil.

Turn the dough out into the bowl and wrap the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Tightly wrap the perimeter of the bowl with kitchen twine or with another piece of plastic wrap to further seal the bowl.

Set the dough aside at moderate room temperature (68 to 70 degrees) for 45 minutes.

Dust your work surface lightly with flour and turn the dough out onto the floured surface.Turn the edges of the dough toward the center, acting as if the round has four sides. Turn the dough over and place it, folded side down, back in the bowl.  Cover the bowl again with plastic wrap and set it aside for 45 minutes.

Dust your work surface again lightly with flour and turn the dough out onto the floured surface. Divide the dough into six equal segments, each weighing approximately 7 ounces. Gently tuck the edges of each round of dough under itself. Shape each segment into a round. Cover the dough rounds with a clean dish towel and let them rest for 5 minutes.

Lightly flour your hands and use both hands pulling toward you to gather each round of dough into a taught ball. Dust a baking sheet generously with flour and place the dough rounds on the baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet with the dish cloth and set them again at moderate room temperature (68 to 70 degrees) for 1 hour. (Alternatively you skip the step of transferring the dough to a baking sheet and leave the dough on the counter to proof instead.) Leave the dough rounds at room temperature as you shape each round. Use the dough immediately.

Pizzeria Mozza Passato Tomato Sauce

28-ounce canned tomatoes (they suggested San Marzano tomatoes, but no brand specified)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 teaspoons sugar, more as desired
1.5 teaspoons of kosher salt
0.5  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Assembly of sauce:

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until warm but not smoking, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the tomatoes,

Stir in the sugar, salt, and pepper, and cook until sauce thickens slightly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:22:45 AM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
That is a great overview of the class. I am curious: what was the bake time on this 84% hydration dough? How did she get it from peel to stone?

John

Offline dineomite

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
These videos along with her book recipe pretty much explain the home oven version.

Hanging with Harris - Nancy Silverton - Mozza - Los Angeles

Hanging with Harris - Matt Molina - Mozza - Los Angeles

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:21:02 PM by Steve »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Those videos sum up the class experience quite nicely except that you get to taste all the pizzas on the menu.  Metal peels are used but the class instructor did say he would prefer wooden ones. The pizzas are baked for 8 minutes at 500 degrees as shown in the video.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
I don't think the dough in those videos is 84% hydration.

John

Offline dineomite

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
I promise you - it is absolutely 84%. I made it just because I wanted to see if I could do it. I totally thought I screwed it up when I first started it because the dough was absolute soup in the beginning. I thought there was no way this was going to work. It does. It pulls together at the last minute. Very delicate, very gassy, and pretty much has to be used within a couple of hours of being ready. It actually tastes a lot like their real thing. A great home adaptation for the home oven IMO.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Re: Has anyone ever been to Pizzeria Mozza's class? If so, please advise!!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:33 AM »
Hi Caroline,

I have been to Mozza's class and it is totally worth doing, even though they don't share the actual Mozza pizza dough recipe. They give you the recipe that is printed in the book, which is similar but not the same as the actual dough they use. They give you some line avout how their dough doesn't work right in home ovens. They could just give us the recipe and let us worry about how it comes comes out. 

Watch Peter Reinhart's videos that he made at Mozza. There are some good  clues in there.

Don't worry about not being able to get Mello Judith flour. I use Mello Judith and I really like it but any good high protein flour should be OK. King Arthur bread flour or Gold Medal Better For Bread are both good substitutes.  Conagra doesn't sell Mello Judith in the east but they have another one called King Midas which should be good for pizza too. 

One good thing about Mozza is that they bake their pizzas at a relatively low temperature.  Maybe 575 F.  So they are doable in a home oven,  unlike some other styles.

Back to the class: they start with some really good appetizers.  Then they show you how to make their home recipe  dough and how to roast garlic, and how to make their pizza sauce. Then they bake about ten pizzas (with their dough) and serve them to the class. Seriously one of the greatest meals I've ever eaten.

So definitely go to the classbif you get a chance.  It's great!

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
After eating pizza at Mozza and finding it the best pizza I have eaten, I searched for Mello Judith. As one of the respondents has already revealed, it is not available out east where I too live. However, I have a friend in California, and he bought a 50 lb bag and shipped it to me. I am still working on perfecting it.

bakerbill

Offline cglee

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses!  And apologies for my delayed one.  I had given up on anyone knowing anything about the Mozza class...glad to know that I was mistaken!!

Jsaras -- thank you for that detailed write-up!!  Very helpful.

Dineomite -- thanks for the video links and for taking pics of your process...great looking pizza!

Tinroofrusted -- so flattered that you would respond to my plea.  I've read your thread about your new and improved Mozza recipe a zillion times and can't wait to try it one day.  I, too, agree that Mozza is one of the great meals in my life.  It definitely satisfies my pizza cravings until I can justify flying out to Arizona just to try out Pizzeria Bianco.

Bakerbill -- that is one NICE friend to mail you a 50lb bag of flour : D.

Also, Tinroofrusted, if I don't have sourdough starter, can I still make your recipe?  That is the one thing deterring me from trying out your recipe.  If I leave it out, do I need to adjust your recipe in any way?  Thx!!