Author Topic: New Guy, Pizzeria Dreams  (Read 109 times)

Offline pizza_fiend

• I SERIOUSLY Love Pizza!
New Guy, Pizzeria Dreams
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:38 AM »
Hi everyone. My name is Angel, but I go by Nemo. I am in Corona, CA (Southern CA, about 30-40 miles SW of LA). I have no culinary background. I am a foodie and my favorite food is pizza. I strongly dislike all large chain pizzerias (Papa Johns, Dominos, Pizza Hut, Lamp Post, etc) because of obvious quality issues. I am very fond of small "mom n pops" type places because the pizza at each is always different and they typically give a much better quality pie. Im sure all of that is obvious to everyone here, but I haven't done a whole lot of lurking yet so I don't know what a lot of the general agreed upon ideas are yet amongst you pizza guys.

I have messed around with basic recipes and made pizzas at home using a pre-heated steel baking slab in my regular gas oven and they have come out pretty good. I have never used an out door or specialty oven for pizzas yet, but I have been interested for a long time. I have just been so busy with work, babies, upgrades to the house, etc etc etc. But for a long time I have dreamed about building a wood-firing pizza/bread oven in my back yard. I am an avid do-it-yourselfer and I think I could have great success. After a few days of poking around on here I have started noticing that there are a lot of economical options for pre-built or modular ovens and Im actually pretty interested in them. I also take great pride in building things myself, so my pride might eventually make me decide to build my own, maybe not my first, but I guess we will see.

Now the real reason I started searching and created a profile on PM.com is because I hope to open a small pizzeria in the next year or so, using a wood-fired oven. I make good money owning a business that is completely unrelated from the restaurant industry, so I don't want to open a pizzeria to make a ton of money. Its more just because I really love pizza and I would love to open a little spot that true pizza lovers can come to, to get a consistently great tasting and great quality pie. Most pizzerias, at least in southern CA, are open to make money. That means that somewhere along the line, decisions are going to be made that sacrifice pie quality for a bottom line. I want to make the best quality and tastiest pizza possible, with quality being my main goal. I know I have a ton to learn about the style of pizza I want to make, the best dough recipes, sauce recipes, meats, cheeses, ovens, and the restaurant industry in general, but I think I will be able to learn enough in a year to make an excellent pie. I also expect my pies to grow with me and my experience once I actually open.

So the plan is to make or buy a wood-burning oven in the next month or two and begin more rigorous testing to find my perfect pie. Later in the year I will start more of the business planning.

Just wanted to give a good intro for myself and my intentions. Not sure how that idea will be received, but Im open to comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Glad I found this forum and hope to learn a lot and meet some great people!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:50:37 AM by pizza_fiend »

Online scott123

Re: New Guy, Pizzeria Dreams
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:50:19 AM »
Angel, welcome to the forum.

There are countless ways in which people have broken into the business, but, if I were starting out, I would probably do two things.

1. Get the best NY style pizza you can out of your home oven using steel- 1/2" thick steel and dimensions capable of doing pies larger than 16"

and

2. Get a Blackstone.

The Blackstone can produce wood fired oven results for only $400, and, with the right oven, steel plate can match any commercial deck oven.  Both will let you get your feet wet and allow you to start making world class pizza without a huge investment.  Once you're up to speed with your ideal pie, then you can start exploring wood fire oven options.

Since you run a separate non restaurant related business, you might want to eventually look into mobile setups so you can throw parties on the weekends.  It's a lot easier to start a mobile business than it is to open a brick and mortar.

Offline pizza_fiend

• I SERIOUSLY Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
Thats great info! Appreciate the suggestions Scott. I have read good things about the Blackstone, atleast for the price. Looking forward to some delicious R&D!

Offline mobilepizza

• Vendor
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
A great place to take a look at custom and standard mobile wood fired trailers for sale is www.mobilepizzatrailer.com

I'm converting my old 86 Chevy truck here and I'm very excited to get going at my friend's farm parties and retreats!