Author Topic: Please help Bob...he needs it! Smile  (Read 863 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Please help Bob...he needs it! Smile
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
Ok, I am straying into the unknown here and hope to keep this simple for you kind folks.
I currently have one of awesome member John "Dellavecchia" dough sitting on my counter...

100% Caputo 00
61% Water
2.8% kosher salt
0.1% IDY

I increased hydration to 68%(not sure why, but I did). Was not easy peasy but I did manage a 16oz bulk that I did "stretch an folds" on every half hr. for 2 hrs. then I balled up 2 8oz'ers. They have sat for additional 4 hr. and are pretty an soft.

Brought the Lil Deni out of moth balls...she can get HOT!  Like 750 no problemo.
8oz should yeild me a pizza size that will fit in her..around 11in pie.

My question....is it Ok to use a pretty good amount of bench flour to get this dude to open up and stretch on the back of my knuckles? If so, should I use the caputo or AP, or semolina, or ? flour to make this happen all lovely??
Thanks for any and all help. Bob is on a mission.... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline atom

Re: Please help Bob...he needs it! Smile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:51 AM »
Bob, when I have done my 70% doughs I shaped my doughs cold out of the fridge with plenty of flour. I realize its probably to late too chill your dough. My experience is that the flour is not a problem as long as you take it from your knuckles directly to the pan/peel/whatever. I have used cheap all purpose, bread flour, semolina, corn starch, corn meal, etc. The best results were the bread flour. The dough is too soft for semolina and corn meal, the 'beads' become engulfed in the dough rather then acting as a barrier. I also don't recommend using oil on a dough like this as this will cause your flour to cake on the bottom rather then absorb, which I realize seems counter-productive. The corn starch had awful results but I may revisit it someday blending it with other flour.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
I agree with Atom. You should use lots of flour to "dry" the surface of the dough ball (literally dipping it into a mound of flour), then get as much of the excess off during shaping. Using your knuckles is a good idea here - but be careful as the dough will very extensible.

John

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Do you have a link to the original recipe/post?

Anyone have experience doing this with a cultured/sourdough (i.e., high hydration, bulk ferment at room temp, then balled ferment at room temp, then bake.

I've seen threads with cake yeast and IDY, and bread/00 mix, but not sourdough culture and 100% Caputo

Thx

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
I've seen threads with cake yeast and IDY, and bread/00 mix, but not sourdough culture and 100% Caputo

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.msg202069.html#msg202069
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
Yeah Craig. I feel pretty stupid.  I've only read that thread like 100 times.

:-\
;D  You had me scratching my head there for a second Qarl. Btw, the formula was just a quick something John offered out in the Millars oven thread to someone...no details were given on that post.
But it's all good and thanks to the those who posted here.
I used AP to dust it and it had a nice elasticity, just right for my beginner hands, so I was able to shake it real good without tearing...was not a flower bomb at all. I sure like this dough, it was fun baking it on the Lil Deni and sure tasted good for having just been made 4-5 hrs. ago...the VT pepperoni didn't hurt it though I'm sure.  8)   That pepperoni sure does change at higher heat...I had almost given up on that product following my NY pie experiences with it.
Looking forward to seeing how the one tonight "works" after 24 in the fridge.
Thanks again.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
Yeah Craig. I feel pretty stupid.  I've only read that thread like 100 times.

:-\

No worries. My wife tells me to do things 100 times, and for some reason I don't remember them either...
Pizza is not bread.