Author Topic: Food Costs Spreadsheet  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Steveinid

Food Costs Spreadsheet
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
I've been looking around the net and found a few spreadsheets concerning food costs but thought I would look here as well.

I'm looking for a decent spreadsheet that will calculate food costs for any recipe I set up.

What I'm thinking of is a main spread sheet with an inventory of items. Each item will have purchase price, cost per lb, per oz, per gram... and other pertinent information. A second sheet will have costs per serving for all menu items. A 3rd, 4th, 5th etc... that will have the actual recipes with ingredients and amounts used per ingredient. Each sheet will draw information from the other sheets as needed. This way, if I tweak a recipe it will automatically show up in the 2nd, cost per serving, spreadsheet. If, or should I say when, an inventory item goes up in price, it will automatically adjust all related items in the cost per serving spreadsheet.

I have some spreadsheet skills so I'm not looking for this exact setup. Something similar that I could change or build upon would be appreciated.

Pizza specific is not a requirement but it will be the main focus as well as other foods.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Food Costs Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
Steve,

This is a subject that comes up from time to time over at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6, where mainly professionals visit. If you haven't already done so, you might register and pose your spreadsheet questions there. You might also search the PMQTT archives. You can also search the general PMQ website at http://www.pmq.com/.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
I don't remember anyone here passing around food cost workbooks in the past, but what you have described would very very simple to make - maybe an hour or two of work.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
 Like Craig said it would be quite easy to make, did you have any specific questions about building the spreadsheet?

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
I will go to PMQ and check it out.

As far as it being easy... I started on one and after an hour I really had nothing to show for it. I can only do the basics in spreadsheets. I don't know how to link them together. I can find that out easily enough, I'm sure, but an existing spreadsheet would save me a lot of time.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
Like Craig said it would be quite easy to make, did you have any specific questions about building the spreadsheet?
Yes.... How do I make one.  ::)

Just klidding of course.

I used to deal with spreadsheets years ago when I worked for a large manufacturer of memory chips. Since then I haven't dealt with them at all. I have forgotten quite a bit. Much more than I thought. I have to re-teach myself what I need to know. I will play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again
Steve

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
i have three that were given to me by one of my suppliers. running inventory,menu engineering, and recipe cards. if they will oad on my stick drive you can have them. just pay for the stick drive.my pos does it for me so i do not need them.