Author Topic: Motorino or Paulie Gee's clone  (Read 4716 times)

Offline stephent

Motorino or Paulie Gee's clone
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
I have seen a Keste clone on this forum, but has any one tried to clone the Motorino or Paulie Gee's dough recipe?

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Re: Motorino or Paulie Gee's clone
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
I am guessing Da Michele is the only gold standard of Napoletan Pizza and that is what everyone is trying to imitate or measure themselves against.....
Paolo

Offline David Deas

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
Don't think so, bud.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:08:16 AM »
I might be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but if someone took Keste's, Motorino and Paulie Gee's dough, stretched them to the same thickness factor, topped them with identical ingredients and baked them in the same oven under the same baking conditions for the same amount of time, even the most obsessive Neapolitan pizza regular wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. The only metro area NP pizza that I could tell apart from the others is Forcella.  That's very distinctive.

They're all, as far as I know, Caputo pizzeria flour.  Paulie is tight lipped about every aspect of his process, but, at the temps he's working at, I highly doubt that he's using a blend.

You might have slightly different consistency doughs, but, there should be stretching videos for all of them- which should help you dial in the right water and the right amount of kneading.

On our tour last year, Roberto gave us the dough formula for Keste, but others wrote it down.  It's most likely very VPNish.  Paulie's going crazy with the toppings, but I believe these are all very traditional Neapolitan doughs. I know that Roberto is doing multi day ferments, and I'd bet money, from the taste of the crust, that Motorino and Paulie are doing multi days as well.

That's not everything, but I think it gives you a start.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
I know that Motorino uses a pretty highly hydrated dough - easily 65% or higher. PGs pies are highly charred, and look to be well fermented. Salt levels are easy to guess with these types of pies because they are always in the 2.5% - 3% range. If the dough has a distinct saltiness, go more towards 3%.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
I would not be surprised if PG's dough is fermented for 3 days. He also bakes at a higher temp than Motorino estimating strictly from the bake times. I think PG has a lower TF.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stephent

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
As usual, thaks for the responses.  Any thoughts on whether they use a sourdough starter or cake yeast like Keste? 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »
As usual, thaks for the responses.  Any thoughts on whether they use a sourdough starter or cake yeast like Keste?  

I'm pretty sure that neither use SD. I did not taste it in either pizza. It's pretty unheard of to use SD in a commercial setting. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two places that do: UPN in SF and Roberta's in Brooklyn. I'm sure there are others, but not many relative to the number of pizzerias out there.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »
Off the top of my head, I can only think of two places that do: UPN in SF and Roberta's in Brooklyn.

Are you sure about Roberta's?  I thought they were non-SD.

Wild Rise (a traveling outfit in Brooklyn) is the only place in NY that I'm certain does SD.  Wheated (David Sheridan) will be the first area brick & mortar SD (that I know of) when that opens this year.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
Are you sure about Roberta's?  I thought they were non-SD.

Chau and I asked them when we were all there, and I'm pretty sure they said they did.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Chau and I asked them when we were all there, and I'm pretty sure they said they did.

Hmm... interesting.  Did you taste any sourness? I wasn't really looking for it, but I don't recall the dough tasting sour at all.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
Hmm... interesting.  Did you taste any sourness? I wasn't really looking for it, but I don't recall the dough tasting sour at all.

No, but it did have a good flavor. I wasn't positive, but Chau was certain it was SD. He asked and they confirmed.

There is no "sourness" in my dough either.
Pizza is not bread.

Mal

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
From what I understand, Roberta's uses fresh yeast in their pizza dough and sourdough for their breads.

Dick Bessey talks about their pizza dough in this interview (fast forward to around the 12:20 mark)
http://www.heritageradionetwork.org/archives?tag=keeping+yeast+fresh
(Granted this interview dates back to 2009)

Melissa Weller bakes the sourdough bread at Roberta's using sourdough leavening only. She bakes it in the Shipping Container-turned-WFO which Dick Bessey helped design.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:51:39 PM by Mal »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
Not only did one of the pizza makers confirm the use of a SD starter, he also said the flour they use is Sir Gilahad flour.  I can't remember if it was part of a blend or strictly, but I think it is strictly SG AP flour.  A quick phone call over there should straighten this mystery up.  Also IMO they make an excellent crust.  The texture and flavor was very good.   The crust is worth replicating.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:48:23 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:56 AM »
Last year I did a class at the meat hook ran by two of Roberta's chefs . They used yeast and a 66 percent hydration in the recipe they gave us. The dough we used was from Roberta's and it had no sourness . And by the way it cooked it was caputo flour.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:02 AM »
My son is having his wedding reception at Roberta's next year . I'll ask him to get intel next visit. I know the breads are all made with a starter.

Offline DC8702

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
Frankly, I'm really surprised that Paulie is so tight lipped with his dough and process...considering not so long ago he was he was sitting where many contributors are right now.

Offline scott123

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
DC8702, I don't know any specifics about Paulie's financing, but if it's anything like other typical pizzeria startups, he had to have sunk a good deal of his life savings into it.  When you sink that kind of cash into your own startup, and have that kind of money on the line, then come back and talk about openness ;D

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that neither use SD. I did not taste it in either pizza. It's pretty unheard of to use SD in a commercial setting. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two places that do: UPN in SF and Roberta's in Brooklyn. I'm sure there are others, but not many relative to the number of pizzerias out there.

X-Stream Cuisine does. 8)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
Dick Bessey talks about their pizza dough in this interview (fast forward to around the 12:20 mark)
http://www.heritageradionetwork.org/archives?tag=keeping+yeast+fresh

Mal,

Thank you for that link. I had the chance to it in its entirety yesterday while driving home. Its really well done. Couldn't locate "Part 1" while driving, so I'll have to look for that later!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

pizzapan