Author Topic: Motorino or Paulie Gee's clone  (Read 4466 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Motorino or Paulie Gee's clone
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
I could be wrong, but I recall Palombino saying he did his dough very similar to Mangieri. If that's the case, I can say Paulie's dough and Palombino's dough are fermented differently.

I would not be surprised if PG's dough is fermented for 3 days. He also bakes at a higher temp than Motorino estimating strictly from the bake times. I think PG has a lower TF.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
Everyone has to keep somethings a little bit secret, but Paulie is always willing to talk pizza and give fellow fanatics some pointers. At DC8702, he might not tell you his dough recipe, but he certainly helps those with questions about pizza. I promise!

DC8702, I don't know any specifics about Paulie's financing, but if it's anything like other typical pizzeria startups, he had to have sunk a good deal of his life savings into it.  When you sink that kind of cash into your own startup, and have that kind of money on the line, then come back and talk about openness ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »
And even willing to go on pizza crawls tours with a bunch of ??? Paulie is a great guy and loose lips sink ships!
 Chuck wagon John :-D
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DC8702

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
In this Slice article on his new venture, Pizzablogger references fresh yeast being used at PG's. 

"All of the regular offerings will use baker's yeast like the Greenpoint location. I may ocassionally offer one round pizza that uses natural leavening as a limited quantity offering on certain nights."

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/pauile-gee-opening-pizzeria-in-baltimore-hampden-neighborhood.html

Offline stephent

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »
On the issue of who is using natural yeast, I just read in an article in today's "Serious Eats," about a newly opened place in LA, called Wildcraft Sourdough Pizza, features a 30-year-old sourdough starter and a 3-day fermentation (hence the name).  The owners are VPN trained and from the pictures, the pizza looks great.   

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
On the issue of who is using natural yeast, I just read in an article in today's "Serious Eats," about a newly opened place in LA, called Wildcraft Sourdough Pizza, features a 30-year-old sourdough starter and a 3-day fermentation (hence the name).  The owners are VPN trained and from the pictures, the pizza looks great.  

The instagram site for this place has MUCH better pics, but these guys seem committed to the craft. Using an SF oven, etc.

http://instagram.com/wildcraftpizza

And yet, the tepid Yelp reviews reveal the general lack of knowledge on the part of the public about this style of pizza. SoCal is probably the last place in the world I would want to open up a restaurant. I wish these guys well. Maybe they'll open a chain in SE NC when they get fed up with all the B$ in So Cal!

John K
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:01:27 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
The only issue I have with Wildcraft is I can't get my head around how they do a 3 day dough with a sourdough starter...

Fermenting sourdough for that long tends to lead to a "sour" taste, IMO. Unless they cold retard the dough, in which case that's not the ideal environment for sourdough. Though I haven't trie the pizza, I'm having difficulty making sense of it.

I've read a preview that described the starter as "pungent" and the resulting flavor as sour...consistent with over doing it but I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:17:43 PM by hotsawce »