Author Topic: for the love of pizza  (Read 338 times)

Offline scott E.

for the love of pizza
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
I grew up in Nebraska in the 50's and 60's.  The only time I had pizza was when we went to Lincoln in HS.  They had a Pizza Hut.  Back then it was cracker crust, a smear of sauce and scattered hand full of cheese and even less meat.  Not what I call a pie.  Going to collage I found Valentino's and fell in love with the pie.  My chums and I would wait some time 1 hr. to get a table.  We finally figured out we could order takeout, we only lived a few blocks away.  I now live in Chicago and there are Pizza places all over the place, though I do make my own pizza at least once a week.  Breakfast pizza is something that I have found and enjoy.  I always have some dough in the fridge.   

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: for the love of pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
Scott, welcome to the forum. Would love for you to tell us what style of pizza you bake, what is your oven , what is your favorite recipe and process, and of course send some pics of your pies.
Just curious, how long have you been baking pizza?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline scott E.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Mark,
I make different pies.  It depends on what I am in the mood for.  I just have a normal oven but I do have a pizza stone that I bought 35+ years ago.  Over all these years it has went from tan to black.  I like to use a yeast crust so it is not cracker thin.  For a hearty pie I like deep dish.  My favorite pie is a white sauce with shrimp and mushrooms on a sour dough crust on the grill.  I have a sour dough starter that is more than 30 years old.  My favorite red sauce is very simple, a can of diced tomatoes in sauce not juice, dumped in to a blender, add 1/2 teaspoon of oregano and a minced clove of garlic, wiz it until it is not quite smooth.  I like to use fresh cheese if I have time to make it. 
Pictures are going to be a problem.  I haven't moved in to the digital age for that yet.     

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
Pictures are going to be a problem.  I haven't moved in to the digital age for that yet.     

No cell phone?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott E.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
Yes to the cell phone but it is old (sort of like me) and it doesn't have a camera. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Scott, thanks for the info. If you have a PC then you can take film to most drug stores they can scan your pic and put on a disk which you can download to your pc. You may have to resize to get them on this forum but that is pretty easy.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
You can get a good used digital camera for next to nothing.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott E.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
I had fancy one years ago but it was lost in the last move.  I will be getting an other one this year.  Getting film developed is getting a little expensive.  The last trip to Kona on the big island we took 10 rolls of film.  I could have bought a digital for what it cost to get it developed and printed and cost of film.  I did have the pictures put on a Cd's to send to friends and family. 
Any recommendation on a good digital?