Author Topic: what do you think about this Mobile WFO?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline landras

what do you think about this Mobile WFO?
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
HI guys, I am interested to know what do you think about this set up, specially the guys that operate a mobile business  already. I am between getting this (not at that price of course) or getting something like John has. Any ideas, comments, questions are welcome, thanks nico

p/d: the oven is a premio2 40x48 and it goes in and out of the trailer with a mechanical device, that one person could operate but ideally you need 2 guys to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Turn-key-Mobile-Woodfired-Pizza-Business-/160964683957?pt=BI_Commercial_Ovens_Ranges&hash=item257a3e28b5

Offline TXCraig1

Re: what do you think about this Mobile WFO?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
The Premio2G is a nice engine. That is what Chau (Jackie Tran) has in his WFO.

I'm not sure I'd want it on a cart like that vs. a trailer. There may be times when it would be easier to position the oven, but what if you need to put it on soft grass or some other surface you can't push it over? The other negative I see is that to get it to fit in the trailer, they had to make it really low. It looks like the deck is about 36" (about the same height as the table next to it). That's low. Your back might hurt working an oven that low. It's a good 12" lower than ideal. Can you put it away in the trailer hot? I guess you just plug up the door and chimney hole and go? It will be interesting to hear what John thinks of that cart set-up given his experience.

It is nice that everything goes in one trailer and locks up. It doesn't say anything about the prep equipment like a mixer - you don't want to make dough for 50 people in your KA...

$26K seems a little ambitious. I'd think closer to half of that. That Haulmark low hauler is worth about $4500. Maybe another $5K for the oven and $3K for everything else.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline landras

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »
The Premio2G is a nice engine. That is what Chau (Jackie Tran) has in his WFO.

I'm not sure I'd want it on a cart like that vs. a trailer. There may be times when it would be easier to position the oven, but what if you need to put it on soft grass or some other surface you can't push it over? The other negative I see is that to get it to fit in the trailer, they had to make it really low. It looks like the deck is about 36" (about the same height as the table next to it). That's low. Your back might hurt working an oven that low. It's a good 12" lower than ideal. Can you put it away in the trailer hot? I guess you just plug up the door and chimney hole and go? It will be interesting to hear what John thinks of that cart set-up given his experience.

It is nice that everything goes in one trailer and locks up. It doesn't say anything about the prep equipment like a mixer - you don't want to make dough for 50 people in your KA...

$26K seems a little ambitious. I'd think closer to half of that. That Haulmark low hauler is worth about $4500. Maybe another $5K for the oven and $3K for everything else.

Thanks Craig. The oven can be lift it to the high you want, with those "lifters" on the corners (sorry I do not know what are these things call). Looks like you can load it  hot, but I don't know how I would like that. You are right about the mobility issue. It does not bring the mixer. but it has the prep table. Yes 26K is way to high. That is actually my total budget to start off. Based on the inventory the owner gave me I could buy all the items with 19K (considering the cost and labor that goes into  building a Premio2 like that)....

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
I don't like the idea of a cart like that.  Taking it in and out of the trailer just takes extra time I would think.  I can see one advantage would be you could move it easier in close quarters but if you had any kind of slope or grass, that advantage is taken out.  John can move his pretty well to very many locations. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
It will be interesting to hear what John thinks of that cart set-up given his experience.

I get the feeling that John will have more to say about the oven than the set-up- something along the lines of "Why buy a Forno Bravo oven when mobile FGMs are becoming available?"

Offline TomN

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:16:46 AM »
Looks like fun, but i think it is over priced for what it is.

What will you be using it for? Friends , family or commercial use?   If commercial, i would check with your local health department regulations before investing. It might need to be contained in a trailer setting, running water requirements, sneeze guards, paying taxes, etc... Also, i would check with those that sell these products, like http://www.fornobravo.com/index.html#pizza_ovens
Better yet, find a local mobile restaurant in your area and ask them some of the ups and downs of the mobile restaurant business. Some people will really be open and honest with you about things. (Be sure to buy lunch or dinner from them while you have this discussion) I would not expect the 26K back in the first few years either.

There is a trend now for the mobile restaurant and some are doing very well.  However with pizza at lunch time, you probably will be selling it by the slice or as a small personal pizza and how much will you charge for gourmet pizza to those on a lunch budget? What will be your food cost? What will be your cost to rent parking lot space each week, provided you get permission to do so in the good locations? Also, you have to be very mobile too. Not everyone wants pizza for lunch everyday. (hard to believe isn't it, but true) The part that is discouraging to me (from what I have observed over the years in the Food Service industry)  is that those who own any kind of restaurant,  usually LIVE THERE, and without many days off or vacation time either. Then there is the subject of theft by employees. (money, food, equipment, etc) Ask any restaurant owner that hires people at min wage, they will tell you about it. It's not if you will get stolen from, it is how much and how often.

i know that is a mouthful, but i have seen many restaurants both mobile and in the building settings that fail each year and some even in the first year.  Especially in this current lame economy. But if you have the money and it is your passion, then go for. Just do some good research first. And remember the most important thing, Location, Location, Location.. (or as a mobile, should i say Locations)

Best to you.

TomN
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:16:22 AM by TomN »

Offline landras

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Looks like fun, but i think it is over priced for what it is.

What will you be using it for? Friends , family or commercial use?   If commercial, i would check with your local health department regulations before investing. It might need to be contained in a trailer setting, running water requirements, sneeze guards, paying taxes, etc... Also, i would check with those that sell these products, like http://www.fornobravo.com/index.html#pizza_ovens
Better yet, find a local mobile restaurant in your area and ask them some of the ups and downs of the mobile restaurant business. Some people will really be open and honest with you about things. (Be sure to buy lunch or dinner from them while you have this discussion) I would not expect the 26K back in the first few years either.

There is a trend now for the mobile restaurant and some are doing very well.  However with pizza at lunch time, you probably will be selling it by the slice or as a small personal pizza and how much will you charge for gourmet pizza to those on a lunch budget? What will be your food cost? What will be your cost to rent parking lot space each week, provided you get permission to do so in the good locations? Also, you have to be very mobile too. Not everyone wants pizza for lunch everyday. (hard to believe isn't it, but true) The part that is discouraging to me (from what I have observed over the years in the Food Service industry)  is that those who own any kind of restaurant,  usually LIVE THERE, and without many days off or vacation time either. Then there is the subject of theft by employees. (money, food, equipment, etc) Ask any restaurant owner that hires people at min wage, they will tell you about it. It's not if you will get stolen from, it is how much and how often.

i know that is a mouthful, but i have seen many restaurants both mobile and in the building settings that fail each year and some even in the first year.  Especially in this current lame economy. But if you have the money and it is your passion, then go for. Just do some good research first. And remember the most important thing, Location, Location, Location.. (or as a mobile, should i say Locations)

Best to you.

TomN

thanks man.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
Hi,
Scott are you reading my mind ? FGM gets a green light from me for sure !
OK so Engine is good yes ! I believe engine is  a 40" 100 not the 110 chau has
Mobility good yes on hard surface only!
Price ? The fire within trailers  run 20K with same size oven they use the professional series not casa or premio oven. If you saw complete bus. invetory, I feel its worth closer to the 17K-19K with all that is included. yes $4000 trailer but only $5000 for the oven kit is what $4K shipped and you gotta build it !  Labor... $$ Iam saying $7K for the oven and stand
that stand would cost north of $1500 to have built ( unless your  gene!)
prep table worth $1K  that unit is over 2K new !
heres the fun Part  all the crap that it takes to run this silly business  :-D
It all costs $$ and never ends!  Tables , Tents, Gi tools (of course) .... and the little stuff will kill ya! rising buckets, table clothes, cutters, containers, lights, oh  how about 15 dough trays at $17 bucks a pop  ( see thats $250 right there) generator is included and  extra everything !!!  that stuff +  is ALL included with the sale and adds up quick !. Not everybody got to see that list so not really fair.  I could go to rest. depot everyday and buy someother gizmo or something  else  I probably dont need  ??? trust me I have a few records from day 1 .
Good investment Yes!   I would consider purchase  (at the right price) the whole package just to have a backup everything  and send out 2 crews.  I  turned down about 4 double bookings last year.  Could pay for itself in 1 year easy!!But not what I am into at this time. way too many headaches as it is. Fun yes  but hard work!
Back to +,- I love my little guy oven and have squeezed into some cool places but pushing these things a round is a bit much. +'s is enclosed yes but need storage space for all this stuff too, as mentioned.  I would also consider to go  fully enclosed trailer with oven access outside or full on truck for the next round if I had to be
"Parked" somewhere  I am more of a private catering, free spirit, real product guy, and  not into festivals or parking lots  slice sales ? no thanks
again My take is yes for the right application and price go for it  Hell a used  car is  much more than that these days!
John

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
I think it would be better for festivals and fairs rather then catering.  For catering I think you want to setup and break down fast with a goal of doing 2 gigs per day.  For festivals having all that storage would be grand.

Offline landras

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
After I talked with the guy we agreed on 18K, but I talked with the HOA and I cannot have a trailer parked outside my house so I had to drop it and I will get a  FGM from  Antoine. I want to start part time and I will focus on catering if things go well I will think about going full time but for that I will need to updgrade to a full enclosed unit since Houston's HD regulations are very strict on that matter.

Offline TomN

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Landras,

Did you get any leads from the person you purchased this MWO? I was curious if the seller used his MWO as a part time job as well or was it for his own personal use?

TomN

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
After I talked with the guy we agreed on 18K, but I talked with the HOA and I cannot have a trailer parked outside my house so I had to drop it and I will get a  FGM from  Antoine. I want to start part time and I will focus on catering if things go well I will think about going full time but for that I will need to updgrade to a full enclosed unit since Houston's HD regulations are very strict on that matter.
nico,
Could you not keep a smaller unit such as JConks in your backyard?

Here is a neat little tool to move Johns rig around into even tighter/harder access locations than he already has done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parkit360-Power-RV-Trailer-Dolly-mover-Jocky-Wheel-2500lbs-trailers-/190797011530?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6c635a4a

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline landras

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Landras,

Did you get any leads from the person you purchased this MWO? I was curious if the seller used his MWO as a part time job as well or was it for his own personal use?

TomN

He used it for part time I think, he got some personal problem and had to stop working with the oven...

Offline landras

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
nico,
Could you not keep a smaller unit such as JConks in your backyard?

Here is a neat little tool to move Johns rig around into even tighter/harder access locations than he already has done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parkit360-Power-RV-Trailer-Dolly-mover-Jocky-Wheel-2500lbs-trailers-/190797011530?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6c635a4a

Sadly the access to my backyard is not big enough...thanks for the link to the dolly could be handy...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
Yeah its only Money ! $1140 bucks !!But would make a great toy for sure. You buying Bob ?  I had found A used one for $750 but fell thru ! you have to somehow carry this rig with you as well, but would work like a charm I think ? Someone find me a used on e please !!!

He waspart time passion guy like me. The seller informed me it was eating up way too much personal/ family time at this time of his life. children...  I respect that decision 100%
John

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:48:48 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
Yeah its only Money ! $1140 bucks !!But would make a great toy for sure. You buying Bob ?  I had found A used one for $750 but fell thru ! you have to somehow carry this rig with you as well, but would work like a charm I think ? Someone find me a used on e please !!!

He waspart time passion guy like me. The seller informed me it was eating up way too much personal/ family time at this time of his life. children...  I respect that decision 100%
John

Well heck John, alls you got to do is DIY ya one like this gentleman did....if it works out OK I'll back our first production run.  ;D

Redneck Solution Trailer Dolly

Maybe that Roger guy could be our TV commercials spokesperson.... 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:16:20 PM by Steve »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"