Author Topic: Newbie needs help  (Read 1971 times)

Offline MotleyCrue

Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
Well it is good that you have a plan! I like your enthusiasm.
I run my fridge at 40F or a little lower when I am fermenting dough in there. Use a lower shelf and put in the back to help maintain temp when door is opened.
I use 1.5% salt for my pies, but also sprinkle a bit on the sauce as I am dressing the skin.( if I remember).
I have tried 24-72 hrs cold ferment. I like closer to 72 hrs if I can. Takes some planning.

Water temp is fine for ADY, stir once and let sit in a little of the water for 10 min or so. You will see it become active.
I put my dough balls in the fridge without letting them sit out any time. By letting them sit at room temp for 2 hrs you are encouraging fermentation whereas in the fridge straight away you are retarding fermentaion. Try it both ways and see what you like. The amount of yeast should probably vary depending on your method.

Good luck!!! :pizza:

Mark

Thanks.  What about the yeast?  I know that Luigi uses an ADY.  Is there a yeast which yields better taste?  What is a known better yeast? 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
MotleyCrue,

It is good you are going to try two different formulations.  Yes, you are learning the lingo here on the forum.

You might need a little bit of experimenting also with mixing times.  Some members here on the forum only mix a little past the cottage cheese stage.  The dough then gets smoother when it cold ferments.  If you plan on cold fermenting the dough anywhere from 12-24 hrs. you might need to change the yeast amounts for two different times of cold fermenting on the expanded dough calculation tool. http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html  Regular amounts for salt in a NY style dough can range around 1.75% of the formulation to 2.00% if you donít want a salty tasting crust.  Usually a doubling of the dough while cold fermenting is a good start.  If you do the poppy seed trick you can see how much your dough ferments.

I am not sure of what kind of mozzarella you should try.  I am fairly certain Luigiís uses foodservice mozzarella, which usually only can be purchased though a distributor.  If you use the search features of this forum you can see what mozzarellas members are using at home with good results.

Best of luck!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
Thanks.  What about the yeast?  I know that Luigi uses an ADY.  Is there a yeast which yields better taste?  What is a known better yeast? 

In the yeast arena I have only used ADY & IDY. Currently the IDY is my choice as it seems to be the most popular commercial used on these threads. I have not noticed a difference in taste between the 2. I do like the convenience of being able to add the IDY to the flour and I disolve my sugar( if I use it) and salt in the water prior to adding the flour/yeast combo. Another benefit to the IDY is it's size. When sifting the flour with yeast mixed in it all goes thru the screen the same, the ADY if sifted with the flour seems to stay on top of the screen. Probably no big deal!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
In the yeast arena I have only used ADY & IDY. Currently the IDY is my choice as it seems to be the most popular commercial used on these threads. I have not noticed a difference in taste between the 2. I do like the convenience of being able to add the IDY to the flour and I disolve my sugar( if I use it) and salt in the water prior to adding the flour/yeast combo. Another benefit to the IDY is it's size. When sifting the flour with yeast mixed in it all goes thru the screen the same, the ADY if sifted with the flour seems to stay on top of the screen. Probably no big deal!

Mark
You sift?..... :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
You sift?..... :o

Abserlutely, it's soooo fun ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
Abserlutely, it's soooo fun ;D

Mark
Oh, Ok.....must be another new dance move you kids have come up with that, once again, 'ol Bob is missing out on.  :-[

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
I also use IDY because of convenience. It keeps things more uniform also. I don't notice any difference between using ADY and IDY. I however don't sift.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
I also use IDY because of convenience. It keeps things more uniform also. I don't notice any difference between using ADY and IDY. I however don't sift.
+1...convenience.