Author Topic: The perfect pizza stone?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: The perfect pizza stone?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
The heat capacity is how much heat (energy - in joules) do you have to put into 1 gram of something to raise the temperature 1C (or K - same thing). It does not speak to how fast the heat goes in and out. That's conductivity.

I don't think "saturation" is a technical term, but I take it to mean "full of heat." It doesn't matter what you put in the oven, at some point it's going to have as much heat as it can hold - a function of the mass, temperature, and heat capacity of the material. With respect to the quantity of heat when fully "saturated," the type material doesn't matter; you just may need more or less mass.
OK great. I have been confusing saturation for conductivity.
What is it called that I can get my stone to 640+ degres yet my oven dial only says 550....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
OK great. I have been confusing saturation for conductivity.
What is it called that I can get my stone to 640+ degres yet my oven dial only says 550....

Time to get your oven thermostat calibrated?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Time to get your oven thermostat calibrated?
   :-D    I seriously thought people buy pizza stones because they can get hotter than what the actual oven puts out(besides it's even cooking qualities). That's sorta why I was hung up on the "saturation" thing...
You're not just mess'in with Bob's mind here are you Tex?  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
   :-D    I seriously thought people buy pizza stones because they can get hotter than what the actual oven puts out(besides it's even cooking qualities). That's sorta why I was hung up on the "saturation" thing...
You're not just mess'in with Bob's mind here are you Tex?  ;D

It can get hotter if you stick it under the broiler, right? If you oven heats from the top or the bottom, the stone is going to block and absorb much of the radiant heat that would otherwise be heating the other side of the oven. I might make sense that the stone heats faster than the rest of the oven because of this and will in fact get hotter above the air temp - for a while. After a suitable period of time, everything will equalize to about the same temp as heat from the stone replaces heat lost from the oven to the external environment. I would think this is most likely if your heat comes from the bottom and the thermostat in on the top or vice versa. Or maybe your oven really isn't calibrated?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
It can get hotter if you stick it under the broiler, right? If you oven heats from the top or the bottom, the stone is going to block and absorb much of the radiant heat that would otherwise be heating the other side of the oven. I might make sense that the stone heats faster than the rest of the oven because of this and will in fact get hotter above the air temp - for a while. After a suitable period of time, everything will equalize to about the same temp as heat from the stone replaces heat lost from the oven to the external environment. I would think this is most likely if your heat comes from the bottom and the thermostat in on the top or vice versa. Or maybe your oven really isn't calibrated?
Exactly. The only heat source is below in the (gas) broiler drawer. With the stone down low I can get those 640+ temps on stone yet oven walls will be around 550.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
I'm am good.  ;D
Ha! Dern Whippersnapper..... :P

pizzapan