Author Topic: Cheese Pearls  (Read 1635 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Cheese Pearls
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Bought this product(internet pic)at BJ's Club @ $4.29lb......any good?
Would like to bake it at around....HOT!   ;D
Thanks,
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Cheese Pearls
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
It's my (possibly crazy) theory that the larger pieces taste and hold up better. I rationalized this by figuring that larger pieces have been manipulated by machinery less which can squeeze out goodness. I also figure larger pieces are exposed to less air and water oxidation as well. I'll be interested to see what you think.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
I would say that the cheese should be sized such that it just finishes melting as the pie is served (for NP anyway).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
According to the date stamp it's already outdated, and I have found Bel Gioioso cheeses to be damned near flavorless.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
It's my (possibly crazy) theory that the larger pieces taste and hold up better. I rationalized this by figuring that larger pieces have been manipulated by machinery less which can squeeze out goodness. I also figure larger pieces are exposed to less air and water oxidation as well. I'll be interested to see what you think.
They do seem a bit "processed", kind of rubbery....the taste is bland to me but I don't have much experience with "fresh" cheese. I also bought another brand of a one lb ball and it is way different(softer, creamier)...let me see if I can put up a pic of that one.
Thanks Jeff

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
According to the date stamp it's already outdated, and I have found Bel Gioioso cheeses to be damned near flavorless.
Yes, that's why I noted it is an internet pic...thanks John.   ;)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
Here is the other brand that I picked up. It sells for $1 more per lb...$5.29.  Now this one has the right texture to it but still not much flavor(cold). We'll see if Lil Deni's 850 stone launch temp changes their minds....hopefully it will blow Bob's mind... ;D

http://www.lionimozzarella.com/fresh_mozzarella.html
They are outta NJ so it can't be too bad...right?  8)

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »
Most people I know who move from dry mozz to fresh will note that it doesn't seem like it has much flavor. It is just a big difference in flavor profiles in the two types. Buy some Buffalo, that has a lot more flavor.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
Most people I know who move from dry mozz to fresh will note that it doesn't seem like it has much flavor. It is just a big difference in flavor profiles in the two types. Buy some Buffalo, that has a lot more flavor.
Yep, that's next Jeff...thanks.
These "fresh" pearls sure do remind me of cubed up dry mozz though...a lot. Guess that's not a good brand from what has been said so far.
Thanks again,
Bob

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
Yep, that's next Jeff...thanks.
These "fresh" pearls sure do remind me of cubed up dry mozz though...a lot. Guess that's not a good brand from what has been said so far.
Thanks again,
Bob

I usually get pretty good belgioso from the store or Costco. Maybe cause I'm close to wi but the majority of the time I find it has a fresh milky taste. Maybe give a bigger piece a try one of these days...

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »
I usually get pretty good belgioso from the store or Costco. Maybe cause I'm close to wi but the majority of the time I find it has a fresh milky taste. Maybe give a bigger piece a try one of these days...
Yeah, they did have different sizes..logs an balls. I jus saw the pearls and for some reason Craig's pies flashed before me and I experienced temporary insanity.  :o
Yeah....I'm gonna take this home.... and make me a Craig pizza man.... :-D
yeah riiiight!   ::)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
Chicago Bob, you should consider yourself very lucky to be able to get that lioni mozzarella!   I wont name any names, but a VERY famous member of this forum imported this into his city for his (critically acclaimed) pizzeria after he spent a week in new york "cheese shopping" at every A list pizzeria we could find.         

Buffalo mozzarella is indeed better, but Lioni is definitely at least up with the best of them for cows milk fresh mozzarellas.    
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:41:51 PM by scott r »

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
They sell the Lioni at my local Costco (Central Florida)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
Chicago Bob, you should consider yourself very lucky to be able to get that lioni mozzarella!   I wont name any names, but a VERY famous member of this forum imported this into his city for his (critically acclaimed) pizzeria after spending a week in new york "cheese shopping" at every a list pizzeria we could find.      Its not a widely distributed product.    

Buffalo mozzarella is indeed better, but Lioni is at the top of the heap for cows milk fresh mozzarellas.    
Sometimes things just align in a most magnificent way I guess....
Thanks for the input Scott.  :)

Now you got me sad cause at BJ's...what is here today might be gone tomorrow.  >:(
How well does this stuff freeze...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:41:38 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
I have better luck freezing buffalo mozzarella than I do normal aged mozzarella, so you should at least give it a try.   I have never bothered freezing cows milk fresh mozzarella, but I supposed it would be close to buffala.     

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Bob,  Scott is right,  My BJ's carries that although I do not have a membership there,  I have gotten it through friends a few times recently.  By far the best fresh mozz I can get near me.  Awesome stuff.  Part of the difference you are likely tasting is sodium content,  that and a plain old milkier taste.  This is where salting the top of a pizza goes from ok to amazing.  All about balance and it is hard to get right,  but when you do...  you know it.  -Marc

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »
Since I am again using one of our most prestigious member's(dmcavanagh)dough recipe's...I'll be sure to use the good stuff on this trial. No mess'in round here man.  8)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »
I tried the pearls, but only once or twice.  Logs torn melt better and taste better.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
Ok, here's a couple pics using the Lioni Latticini cheese. It tasted great!
I'm going to try some lower temp(6-700 ish), longer fermented doughs on this Lil Deni until I can get a second heating element installed in her.
I sure do like how the ingredient flavors turn out at these higher temps.  :)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
That is one fine looking pizza Chicago Bob, hope it tastes as good as it looks. I've never seen that brand of cheese locally, but I have a secret source of my own for some exceptional stuff.