Author Topic: some question  (Read 177 times)

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
some question
« on: Yesterday at 09:14:21 AM »
first sorry for my bad english
i have a few question
1- we don't have those fancy flour her .. high gluten , 00 , capoto , etc .. just all purpose , and bread flour i think its all purpose and they add some gluten to it
i try several recipe but all end very sticky , last one i leave it out for 8 hour and get good surface but inside the dough was like polish  .. i have regular and 0.01 scale so the weight is correct ..
100% flour ,0.06 idy , 3% salt , 70% water
also in the past i used
100% flour , 64% water , 20 starter " polish " , 1% oil , 2% salt , 2% malt , 0.5 ady , 48 hours in the refrigerator .. sticky but not like the first 1

2- i read her 2 method .. let the dough rise in plastic page , container after we make hole in the laid to let the gas out .. do we have to make the same hole in the page ? isn't the hole in the laid will make the dough exposed to the air and make crusty dry surface ?
3- i knead by hand for 10 , is there something like " over knead the dough " ? normally i make it for 10 min , rest for 20 , stretch and fold , rest for 5 .. 3 or 4 times  , cover it and let it for 8 hour at room temp .. any better method ?

many thx
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:08:01 PM by werty20 »

Offline invertedisdead

Re: some question
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:16:08 AM »
Try 57-60% water
Ryan

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:19:24 AM »
1- we don't have those fancy flour her ..

Where do you live??

There may be a member in your region, who has already found a local flour and process that works.
In grams we trust.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:20:21 AM »
70% is a lot of water. I'd lower it down to 60% and see how it comes out. If it feels like you could add more water, in subsequent batches go up by 1% at a time until you find what works best for you.  Also, 0.5% ADY is a lot of yeast for 8 hours at room temperature. That may be 10X what you need. I'd drop down to 0.1% and adjust up or down from there after you see how that works.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:06:49 PM »
thx for reply
Where do you live??

There may be a member in your region, who has already found a local flour and process that works.
egypt
no we don't and i have search a lot , people in the pizza industry import almost everything

70% is a lot of water. I'd lower it down to 60% and see how it comes out. If it feels like you could add more water, in subsequent batches go up by 1% at a time until you find what works best for you.  Also, 0.5% ADY is a lot of yeast for 8 hours at room temperature. That may be 10X what you need. I'd drop down to 0.1% and adjust up or down from there after you see how that works.
sorry , 0.06

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:11:13 PM »
Werty20;
I'm somewhat familiar with your flour situation. The "bread flour" option which you have is typically the all -purpose flour to which is added vital wheat gluten (VWG) to bring the protein content of the flour up to approximately 11%. If you can get VWG add 3% to the flour and blend it in by just stirring it into the dry flour for a couple seconds. If you can't find VWG you can still make good pizza using your bread flour option.
My advice is to start out making a very basic dough using 100% bread flour, 2% salt, sugar 2%, 2%, 0.15% IDY, and 55% water (23C).
Procedure:
Put water in mixing bowl, add salt and sugar, then add the flour and stir to make a thick, sticky paste. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface and knead/fold the dough for several minutes and form the dough into a ball. Oil a suitably sized bowl, oil the dough ball and place it into the oiled bowl. Drape a piece of plastic over the bowl to prevent drying. Allow the dough to ferment for 3-hours then turn it out of the bowl and fold it a couple of times, form back into a ball shape, lightly oil the dough ball and the bowl again and place the dough back into the bowl to continue fermenting for 3 more hours. Turn the dough out of the bowl handling as little as possible, and open the dough into a pizza skin, then dress the skin and bake as you normally do. As Craig said, if the dough feels too firm or dry add more water in 1 or 2% increments to following doughs. When you have an acceptable pizza by this method (this will confirm that your dough management, formulation, flour and ingredients are correct for your application) you can begin to experiment with the dough formulation by introducing a starter or biga. I would suggest that you start low (maybe 5%) and increase the amount in 5% increments. Remember to take into account the amount of water in the starter or biga when calculating the total dough absorption.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:32:52 PM »

sugar 2%, 2%,
Procedure:
Put water in mixing bowl, add salt and sugar, then add the flour and stir to make a thick, sticky paste.

the last 3 day i keep reading your posts and reply , many many thanks
the yeast in the flour right ?
also 2% after sugar is typo or u missed something ?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:15:12 PM »
Werty20;
Oops! Typo, that should read (Sugar: 2%).
Good catch! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
If the yeast is IDY (instant dry yeast), yes, it can be put into the flour if you are maching mixing the dough, if you are hand mixing the dough without a mixing machine it is best to suspend the yeast in a small amount of warm (35C) water before adding it. In that case you should add the yeast suspension to the water in the bowl before you add the water.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:37:34 PM »
thx for replyegypt

Back in reply #201, Omid -- member Pizza Napoletana -- mentions using "Al Nada" flour (purchased in a US specialty store).
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14506.msg146735#msg146735
In grams we trust.

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:41:27 PM »
Back in reply #201, Omid -- member Pizza Napoletana -- mentions using "Al Nada" flour (purchased in a US specialty store).
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14506.msg146735#msg146735
thank you , i will call them
i ask another company what is the protein level in bread and all purpose flour , they reply now
=
gluten in bread flour 33% , all purpose  27.5

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:32:31 PM »
Those are the "wet" gluten weights. I'd have to look up the conversion from wet to dry gluten weight, if anyone has that information please jump right in.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:13:08 PM »

^^^

At first, I would just try to work with what you have before worrying about VWG and the like.

If you can work well with your less than ideal flour,  think how well you will do with better flours!

Your english is fine!  Keep us posted....

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:17:30 PM by parallei »