Author Topic: Pepe's Yonkers- As Good as the Original?  (Read 1287 times)

scott123

Pepe's Yonkers- As Good as the Original?
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
Anyone here been to both?

I've got a Pepe's itch that needs scratching and am contemplating the trip- but only if someone can confirm the quality.

Scott?

scott123

Re: Pepe's Yonkers- As Good as the Original?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Thanks, that's very helpful. The newest (2011) comments seem to point towards a drop in quality in Yonkers.

Has anyone been to the Yonkers location recently?

Also, while we're on the topic, any recommendations on what time of the day to go? Is the night time dough liable to be older than the day time dough?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:44:12 AM by scott123 »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
I have been to the Spot, Fairfield, Manchester and Danbury but not New Haven or Yonkers.   The Spot was the best and I expect that it is the most like the New Haven Pepe's. 

Danbury was the most recent.  I watched the two guys dressing the pies & manning the oven and they were there for a paycheck (barely), the manager didn't look all that impressed either.   It came all the way through to the pizza, just wasn't as good as what I have had at the other locations.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Hey Scott: Why settle? If you really have an itch to scratch, come on up to the original, and I'll break my rule about never standing in line again for Pepe's. We could also hit a few other places... Sally's, Modern, Bar. Just wait until it's at least 45 degrees ;D.

Barry

If you must... I found 97 reviews on Yelp (for what that's worth): http://www.yelp.com/biz/frank-pepe-pizzeria-napoletana-yonkers
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:39:47 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
Barry, that's kind of you to be willing to break your line waiting rule. I kind of feel that way about Manhattan :)  Logistically, though, Yonkers works for me.  I'm not in love with the $11ish toll for the bridge, but, with a client in Leonia (close to the George Washington Bridge), both Yonkers and Mount Vernon (Johnny's) are 20 minutes away.

I don't know, I might end up in your area for some reason or another.  If I do, I'll let you know.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm normally not one of those "It's not as good as the original" guys, but I've been there three times (all at night) and 1 of the 3 was what I'd call "good" (first time). If you've been to New Haven I doubt very seriously that it's going to pass muster. The last time I went the dough was exceedingly tough, this was two summers ago. I refuse to go back.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
Barry, that's kind of you to be willing to break your line waiting rule. I kind of feel that way about Manhattan :)  Logistically, though, Yonkers works for me.  I'm not in love with the $11ish toll for the bridge, but, with a client in Leonia (close to the George Washington Bridge), both Yonkers and Mount Vernon (Johnny's) are 20 minutes away.

I don't know, I might end up in your area for some reason or another.  If I do, I'll let you know.

The offer is open, Scott, as long as I'm around.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »
Anyone here been to both?

I've got a Pepe's itch that needs scratching and am contemplating the trip- but only if someone can confirm the quality.

Scott?

Scott, sorry just now finding this.  In my experience all the locations have the potential to be just as good as the original.   I have had plenty of sub par pies at the spot and at the original location.  They are all using the same exact oven and ingredients and techniques.   One thing to be wary of, however, is that some locations have had to pull the pies quicker to conform to "local tastes".   The mohegan sun location definitely does this.    As we have talked about (in person!) the cheese they use can be very hit or miss depending on the batch, so thats actually the biggest factor in getting a bad pie.   When its bad its really bad, and when its good its really good!    They are doing a combo room temp/walk in rise, with the dough being "held" in the cooler once its ready, so the good news is that pretty much whenever you go the dough is usually properly fermented.  Coal ovens tend to bake hotter at the beginnings of lunch and dinner rushes, so my suggestion would be to go on the early side of those two peaks.   

Scott, I am VERY excited that you will have a chance to get a fresh pie, rather than those 5 hour old slices I brought you!!   Dont fear the whole "not the original location" thing.... One of my best pies ever was from the hartford location.   

scott123

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Scott, THANK YOU. As expected, your insight is invaluable.

I think it's pretty obvious to fans of coal oven pizza how inconsistent coal ovens can  be.  I've also been aware of wholesale cheese inconsistencies for a couple years now. Both of these areas, are, to me, less than ideal but acceptable risks for the coal oven pizzeria consumer.  It's the kind of dough related apathy that you find at places like Totonno's and Lombardi's- that's where I draw the line. As long as that kind of apathy hasn't taken hold, and, from what you're telling me, along with my experience with the cold slices, it hasn't, I have no problem rolling the dice in Yonkers.

Thanks, again, and congratulations on your new arrival.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
thanks scott... its always nice to have more pizza fanatics in the family.   My 2 year old already knows good from bad pizza....wont touch an overcooked...not fresh...or most commecial pies haha!  When its a good pizza she goes nuts!