Author Topic: Pieous, Austin Texas  (Read 4630 times)

Offline jak123

Re: Pieous, Austin Texas
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
He's doing it by hand?

All by hand my friend...it's my secret sauce!

Offline jak123

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
I really need to go hit that place and soon. ;D
Knock 'em dead Josh. :chef:

Thanks Gene. The Fat Queen is one of the most popular Pizzas on the menu for meat lovers. You and everyone else are welcome to come out anytime.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
And, you must try the pastrami...it's incredible.

I know I've seen bits and pieces of the stuff that's come out of the smoker side of your establishment, but I'd really enjoy seeing some more in-depth images of the Pastrami and such! I'll check on Yelp.

Best of Luck!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
Here's one:

That DEFINITELY looks worthy of the "best in the world" moniker!

More Pics please!

John K

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
Indeed a great story, Josh! Glad to see your dreams come true! Way to make it happen!
All the best, sir.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline csafranek

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
I am no where near this place but if I ever come anywhere close I am making sure I get to eat there! Congrats! Everything I have seen of your place and food looks top notch!

Chad

Offline Creeper

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
Made it out here last weekend and wholeheartedly agree with previous posters: excellent.  Perfect margherita and the pastrami was indeed stellar.  Josh is doing things right.  Restaurant itself has a great vibe.  Lots of hard work and admirable results.  Looking forward to my next visit.  If you live anywhere near Austin, it's worth the trek.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
FINALLY... I was able to make my way to Austin and try out Pieous. I had planned on visiting since the beginning of 2013, so my expectations were very high by the time I finally made it there on a very busy Saturday afternoon.

Margarita: Perfect. Months of waiting finally paid off with this simple, yet complex pizza. Topped with their homemade mozzarella, cannot say I wasn't impressed.

The Rocket: Arugula/Prosciutto (amongst many other ingredients I don't recall) was probably the best thing I've ever eaten. So perfectly balanced & delicious, definitly added to my regular rotation.

Pastrami: Unfortunately I didn't have enough time in Austin, or room in my stomach to eat a full pastrami sandwhich along with the pizza. I asked for a sample because I knew I needed to try it, and they were kind enough to give one on the house. I generally am suspicious of people who are the self-proclaimed "best" of something, but that pastrami is without a doubt the best I've ever had in my life. I only wish I had two stomaches so I could enjoy a full pastrami meal that day, and without a doubt I will get it next time I'm in Austin.

Goose Island Honkers Ale: My go-to craft beer when in the mood. Pieous can't take credit for making this beer, but they do serve it and I'm thankful. Went really well with the pizza.

Other notes: I went with family that lives in Austin and they had not yet heard about Pieous. I heard over and over again for the rest of the day what a great find this was, and how Austin didn't have any "great" pizza restaurants, until now. It's probably notable that these are people who haven't a clue what Neapolitan or sub 90 second pizza really is, but everyone could agree it was just excellent pizza.

A+ Josh. I really envy your story, your passion and your follow through. Good luck in your future.

Josh

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
FINALLY... I was able to make my way to Austin and try out Pieous. I had planned on visiting since the beginning of 2013, so my expectations were very high by the time I finally made it there on a very busy Saturday afternoon.

Margarita: Perfect. Months of waiting finally paid off with this simple, yet complex pizza. Topped with their homemade mozzarella, cannot say I wasn't impressed.

The Rocket: Arugula/Prosciutto (amongst many other ingredients I don't recall) was probably the best thing I've ever eaten. So perfectly balanced & delicious, definitly added to my regular rotation.

Pastrami: Unfortunately I didn't have enough time in Austin, or room in my stomach to eat a full pastrami sandwhich along with the pizza. I asked for a sample because I knew I needed to try it, and they were kind enough to give one on the house. I generally am suspicious of people who are the self-proclaimed "best" of something, but that pastrami is without a doubt the best I've ever had in my life. I only wish I had two stomaches so I could enjoy a full pastrami meal that day, and without a doubt I will get it next time I'm in Austin.

Goose Island Honkers Ale: My go-to craft beer when in the mood. Pieous can't take credit for making this beer, but they do serve it and I'm thankful. Went really well with the pizza.

Other notes: I went with family that lives in Austin and they had not yet heard about Pieous. I heard over and over again for the rest of the day what a great find this was, and how Austin didn't have any "great" pizza restaurants, until now. It's probably notable that these are people who haven't a clue what Neapolitan or sub 90 second pizza really is, but everyone could agree it was just excellent pizza.

A+ Josh. I really envy your story, your passion and your follow through. Good luck in your future.

How far is Austin from Wilmington, NC???? :drool:

Sounds great! Thanks for the write up.

John K

Offline jak123

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »

JD, thanks for coming out. I'm humbled and thrilled by your kind words. I only wish you had introduced yourself to me. Next time, please do.

I'm thrilled by PIEOUS, still having the time of my life, still mixing 100 lbs of flour by hand and improving my skills everyday. It's great introducing people to neo pies. Most love it, some say its "soggy" and dont get it, but for them, let them eat pastrami and sourdough bread!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
How far is Austin from Wilmington, NC???? :drool:

Sounds great! Thanks for the write up.

John K
Just a hop, skip, an jump once I get my PPL John.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
I need to get down there and check this place out.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
I stopped in today for lunch.  I had the House on Fire, and it was spectacular.  Josh and the crew have gotten even better if that is possible.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »
I stopped in today for lunch.  I had the House on Fire, and it was spectacular.  Josh and the crew have gotten even better if that is possible.

I'm jealous. I make it to Austin once or twice a year at best, and this year we made it there between Christmas & New Years and Pieous was closed for the week.

Can't wait to go back.
Josh

pizzapan