Author Topic: Favorite "quick" dough? I need something with an 8 hour or less rise  (Read 977 times)

Offline herc

Long story short, Valentine plans fell through and I need to feed my husband and I as well as the children. I usually use the Shark dough recipe as my go to quickie crust, but lately it has been leaving me wanting more. I want something that i can get good flavor development from in around 8 hours. Can be warm or cold rise or a combo of the two.

So hit me with your favorite. I love chewy, holey pizza with lots of crust flavor and color. (I know, a lot to ask for with a quick rise!)

(want to make between 4 and 6 12in-- we like leftovers!)

Heather

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Favorite "quick" dough? I need something with an 8 hour or less rise
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Heather;
I'm sending you a copy of my Home Made Pizza Dough Recipe. Not knowing anything about your flour, the best I can offer is to say to adjust the water as necessary to give you a moderately soft dough consistency after about 3 or 4-hours fermentation. Allow the dough to ferment in the bowl for about 3-hours, then turn it out and knead a few times, if the dough feels a bit stiff, add a little water to the dough and work in in, then place back into the bowl to continue fermenting for another 30-minutes, turn it out again and check the consistency of the dough. If it needs more water repeat the above, if it feels OK just place the dough back into the bowl to continue fermenting until about 90-minutes before you want to begin opening the dough into pizza skins. Turn the dough out of the bowl and divide into desired size/weight pieces (I suggest that you make a 3 X recipe and divide the dough into five or six pieces for 12-inch diameter pizzas) round each piece into a round ball (don't try to make it too tight, just a lose ball will work fine) set the dough balls aside on a floured area, lightly dust the top of the dough balls with a little flour and cover with a piece of plastic to prevent drying. Allow the dough balls to ferment until you are ready to begin making your pizzas (about 90-minutes). Open each dough ball into a 12-inch pizza skin, dress and bake. Note: This recipe works best using a higher protein content flour such as a bread type flour. I normally use Pillsbury Bread Flour available at most supermarkets.
If you will be baking your pizzas on a stone, try shaping the dough skins into heart shape for something a little special.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
Peter;
Yes it is, actually I sent it to her under separate cover right after I wrote my response.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

Offline herc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:13:36 AM »
Tom, used your recipe, thank you! The dough was very workable, although with one of the batches I didn't add quite enough water so it was slightly stiff.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Fjw24Wqc6Qk/UR23VHyDxYI/AAAAAAAAHCE/nSAyytKclGw/w497-h373/2013-02-14_20-49-01_HDR.jpg Trying to see if this pic works-- not a great pic.

Valentine's dinner-- missing the kid pizza. Top left is goat cheese, thyme and caramelized onion with an olive oil base. Top right is a typical pizza-- mixed peppers, onion, mushroom and pepperoni with fresh mozzarella on a San Marazano base. Bottom left is a margherita with fresh mozz and basil and san marazano tomatoes. Bottom right has a ricotta, garlic and cream base with peppers, onion, bacon, mushroom, ricotta salata, fresh mozz and a drizzle of san marazano. Last pizza on the right is cooked shallots and mixed sweet peppers, ricotta salata, fresh mozzarella and a white base (ricotta, cream and garlic)

Kids just had a simple white base with mozzarella :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
Tom,
 Thanks for talking about your same day dough. I always seem to end up needing a quick dough and 12in. is my usual size so I'm looking forward to giving yours a try. Am I correct in assuming it is a NY type of pizza dough and should be baked accordingly?
Thanks again.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan