Author Topic: Ever Had Vennaris Pizza?  (Read 934 times)

Offline DavePZ

Ever Had Vennaris Pizza?
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
This is a very long shot, I know, but has anyone ever had Vennaris Pizza in Columbia, MD??

It is similar to Mac and Manco's in NJ, but I would rate it slightly better than M&M.
I feel there is more flavor in the crust, and the sauce has more of a "bite" that I like.
Similar in that the sauce is put on top, and they surely use some cheddar.

It's been in Columbia for at least 20 years...

I would love for one of the experts here to try it, and try to clone.

Thanks!
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ever Had Vennaris Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
Sounds like a great pizza Dave...how bout you giving it a shot?
Start your own thread on this...give a proposed dough formula and we'll see if some of us together can make it happen.  8)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
Looks like a pretty unique saucing/cheese technique over there. I'll attach a photo for further reference.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
Looks like a pretty unique saucing/cheese technique over there. I'll attach a photo for further reference.
Boy I like that Jeff...sauced on top makes a great eating pie...thanks.  8)

Offline DavePZ

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:18 PM »
Jeff -
Did you find that pic online somewhere?
Man, you got me craving it again!

I have long suspected that the cheese is a Mozz/Mild Provolone/Cheddar mix, but I am not real good at identifying ingredients.

There is a very unique flavor that I have never tasted in other pies, although the M&M sort of has some of that same flavor...which is why I am thinking it has to do with the sauce on top, and the chedder....do you guys think that sauce on top, in itself, changes the flavor of the pie?

Dave

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
Jeff -
Did you find that pic online somewhere?
Man, you got me craving it again!

I have long suspected that the cheese is a Mozz/Mild Provolone/Cheddar mix, but I am not real good at identifying ingredients.

There is a very unique flavor that I have never tasted in other pies, although the M&M sort of has some of that same flavor...which is why I am thinking it has to do with the sauce on top, and the chedder....do you guys think that sauce on top, in itself, changes the flavor of the pie?

Dave

I got the picture from yelp. Since I had spent the time to look for it I just thought I'd attach it so others could see. I think the way you sauce a pie can change the dynamics of a lot of things. The cheese will melt differently and the dough will bake differently. But I still think it can come down to preference in the end. I mean its a lot easier to spread sauce on dough then it is to spread sauce on top of grated cheese.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
I got the picture from yelp. Since I had spent the time to look for it I just thought I'd attach it so others could see. I think the way you sauce a pie can change the dynamics of a lot of things. The cheese will melt differently and the dough will bake differently. But I still think it can come down to preference in the end. I mean its a lot easier to spread sauce on dough then it is to spread sauce on top of grated cheese.
I like your thinking...when folks try something out of their box.....good stuff can happen for them at times...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Dave,

I have worked on the boardwalk thread (Mack’s and Manco and Manco) on this forum trying to clone their pizzas, but would say that Vennaris crust looks better than either Mack’s in Wildwood or Manco and Manco in Ocean City, NJ.  As far as I know Mack’s and Manco and Manco only use cheddar on their pizzas.  The sauce on Vernnaris Pizza looks applied in the same way as Mack’s and Manco and Manco.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Perhaps they sauce with a squeeze bottle?  :-D :-D :P

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
With the tip cut off.... ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

Giggliato,

This was one time I used a squeeze bottle to apply the sauce that way at Reply 867 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg170247.html#msg170247  If interested you  can read what went on with the squeeze bottle and then what Steve posted at Reply 875 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg170256.html#msg170256   :-[ :angel: :-D

What we go though to make pizza.   :pizza:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline sissycat

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
Yes! I live not too far from Vennari's adn agree its one of the most authentic. Reminds me a little of my fav in OC, MD, Ponzetti's, which also has a very unique cheese flavor/blend that I've never been able to identify. A little like Grotto's as well. By far one of the best choices in Balto area for real NY or boardwalk style pizza.

pizzapan